Double Stack 9mm with External Safety?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Stack 9mm with External Safety?

Default Double Stack 9mm with External Safety?

I'm switching to appendix carry. Just too paranoid about printing or somebody grabbing for my gun and I'd like to carry a double stack instead of my single G43. I'd like a g19 or g26 but I need an external safety for peace of mind as the gun will now be pointing towards my femoral and my thunder down under. For reliability I'd like to go with a CZ but after looking into it the 2075s and Compacts are nowhere to be found. Not sure I'd like to trust my life to a Tanfo clone of these guns either. Suggestions?

I'd imagine I'll get some "just get a Glock and be extra careful". If only it were that simple, but as I said this is a peace of mind issue and not a passing concern I can just will away. I just can't do it or I would have been from the start.

My choice for CCW is the Bersa Ultra compact pro in 9mm. I used to carry the S&W M&P 9C but I just do not like striker fired pistols The Bersa has been flawless after several thousand rounds and very affordably priced. Ambidextrous de cocker loaded chamber indicator and double stack. I was so impressed that I also have a Bersa Thunder in .380 that my wife and daughter carry and .22 for great plinking fun.

stick with your idea..CZ
    JUST KEEP LOOKING
    on a side note..that is a lot of weight for daily carry.
    i carried a star bm alot. single stack basic 1911 design.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Bersa, Beretta, Cz, Springfield, lots of excellent choices out there.
    Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ---- Josey Wales

To each their own, they still remain a very decent option with a very loyal following. I have a Bersa and put many rounds through it with zero issues, which is more than I can say about some much more expensive pistols.
    Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ---- Josey Wales

so how many times are we going to repeat our opinions ?
    i have been in the sporting goods biz for over 10 years
    and an active shooter for SIXTY TWO.
    my opinion stays the same

Quote Originally Posted by lee1959 View Post
    To each their own, they still remain a very decent option with a very loyal following. I have a Bersa and put many rounds through it with zero issues, which is more than I can say about some much more expensive pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by ar10ar15man View Post
    so how many times are we going to repeat our opinions ?
    i have been in the sporting goods biz for over 10 years
    and an active shooter for SIXTY TWO.
    my opinion stays the same
    I propose we establish hard and fast limits on posting opinions. You think 3 times is enough? While at, maybe limit content of opinions, too?? And next censure whiners who complain about insignificant stuff like this.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

My apologies to the original poster for my part in hijacking his thread, which ends here.

AR10... Not all that impressed, nor intimidated, by your self proclaimed credentials, I have been an active shoot for over 50 years too, also worked in the firearms biz for almost 10 in the past. Which means neither of us is an acknowledged "expert" in the field but base our opinions solely upon experiences we have garnered. Therefore, sorry to burst your self important bubble, that kind of leaves us with the second definition of opinion by Meriam Webster not the third. So that, along with probably half this board makes us all equally opinionated and all those opinions are worth equal weight, all of them plus a buck gets you a cup of coffee, if you are lucky. And mine do not change either. Of course, in your next reply you will go on to explain just how more well informed you are, and how yours is the only opinion which matters, so I will just say here it will not be read by myself since I will have put you on ignore. So please do not waste the effort on my account.

Merriam Webster

Definition of opinion
    • 1a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter We asked them for their opinions about the new stadium.b : approval, esteem I have no great opinion of his work.
    • 2a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge a person of rigid opinionsb : a generally held view news programs that shape public opinion
    • 3a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert My doctor says that I need an operation, but I'm going to get a second opinion.b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based The article discusses the recent Supreme Court opinion.
    Last edited by lee1959; 04-11-2017 at 03:26 AM.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Anyhow, I went down to a newer LGS today that I hadn't been to yet to see what they had and was pleasantly surprised by the number of the above options I was able to look at.

First up was the Beretta Px4 Storm Compact. It was a bit chunkier than I expected and even uglier in person but neither of those things matter so much. The DA pull was smooth but the SA trigger pull was a dealbreaker here. Not that it was a bad trigger but it wasn't good either.

Next I tried the CZ 75 D Compact they had in the store, which I was quite surprised to see. Beautiful, smooth, streamlined, fits in the hand like it was custom made just for me, and with a butter-smooth SA pull. Double action pull felt a bit smoother than the Beretta. No external safety on that particular model or I would have put it on lay-away.
    Wow, are the triggers this nice on the 2075 RAMIs?

The Smith and Wesson M&P9c was next. [Goodness, who comes up with all this alphanumeric nonsense?] Honestly didn't have a prayer after that CZ so maybe I didn't give it a fair shake, but that trigger felt heavy and gritty. Absolutely no mushiness though, you hit a clear wall with it. Definitely heavier than a stock Glock and I put minus connectors in all mine.

I also tried out the Taurus G2. Let's not even go there. Horrible trigger. Tons of take-up, gritty, and must have been at least 10lbs. I was reminded why I don't like Taurus instantly when I had to check to make sure the safety wasn't on before I really laid some finger strength into that trigger.

Shame I didn't get to try out the Bersa. I honestly wouldn't have considered a Beretta or a Bersa but I'm glad I got to try out one of them. Its a fine gun, seems to be well-made and ergonomically decent enough but I didn't care for the trigger. If you hadn't guessed yet I'm a trigger snob because I'm not old enough to have grown up shooting DA revolvers.

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Hmm - if SAO is OK and you don't mind "cocked & locked" a BHP would seem to fill your bill nicely. 9mm? Check. External safety? Check. Double stck? Check.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Yes, cocked and locked with an external safety would be fine but a BHP is a mighty big blaster to stow in your shorts. I'm going to get my hands on a BHP one of these days--its on my list--but I don't think I could easily conceal one about my somewhat portly frame. I'm always mystified when I hear people say they carry a double stack full-size service pistol daily. I don't doubt them but its difficult to imagine strapping one on every day.

I've been eyeing the Witness Compact in 10mm since I started this quest. Definitely not the most practical or best reputed option available but that kind of firepower in that size package is hard to ignore.

i bought a full size witness in 10mm.
    in the first 3-4 months it was back at the factory while they worked out
    an issue with magazines and feeding.
    got it back they thru in an extra mag for the long term fix.
    the first range session when i got it back,
    i went to wipe a bit of carbon off the top of the bbl.
    opppssss it would not wipe off.
    cracked chamber!
    the factory was very nice. i sent it back. they agreed it was broken.
    i asked for a std 45 acp as a replacement as i had no faith in the 10mm by then.
    they said yes, replaced all mags, and sent me a target version with a second set of
    grips.
    i shot a 10 in an local match ONCE. by the end of the match
    i could not hit much of anything.
    if you have not shot one borrow one first.
    ( as a side note in most you can fire 40 sw for practice,
    or load a long 40 ..the cases are cheaper)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post

I've been eyeing the Witness Compact in 10mm since I started this quest. Definitely not the most practical or best reputed option available but that kind of firepower in that size package is hard to ignore.

the 75d is decocker.
    it is not the only version.
    look more .
    as you noticed an great gun
    and a very natural point of aim for me.

If it can be found, a Cz75D PCR is the aluminum framed version of the steel framed 75D.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-d-pc...mm-14-rd-mags/

If I was looking for something new, I'd chose a Cz anything out of all those listed.

As for me, my double stack compact 9mm is a well worn police trade 3rd gen. S&W 6904.
    Fine Print:
    The preceeding opinion should be considered only as an opinion and not legal advice. In no event will the poster, Unbekannt, be held liable to any party for any damages arising in any way out of the availability, use, reliance on or inability to use poster's opinion or any information provided by or through the poster, or for any claim attributable to errors, omissions or other inaccuracies in, or destructive properties of any information provided by or through the poster.

he does not want a "d"
    d is decocker..he wants a safety
    Quote Originally Posted by unbekannt View Post
    If it can be found, a Cz75D PCR is the aluminum framed version of the steel framed 75D.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-d-pc...mm-14-rd-mags/

If I was looking for something new, I'd chose a Cz anything out of all those listed.

As for me, my double stack compact 9mm is a well worn police trade 3rd gen. S&W 6904.

Alabama - Roll Tide! 2009, 2011 & 2012 SEC and National Champs

SCCY CPX-1 CB 9MM
    I have about 200 rounds through mine with no problems

http://www.sccy.com/product/cpx-1-cb-9mm/
    MEMBER SINCE 08/2004, SILVER STAR MEMBER ON THE ORIGINAL FORUM

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

I'm fairly plump (managed to lose some weight so am around 200-205 and 5'10" these days), and can carry either 1911 or BHP and not show a lot. Have to hear a shirt that isn't tucked (guyabara works), or have weather that allows for some sort of jacket from windbreaker up. I mostly use an old Safariland rig, rides high with significant forward cant and I mostly put it behind right hip. And yes - the big steel guns tend to let you know they are there.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

The FN-x 9MM has an ambidextrous safety/takedown lever, exposed hammer. Nice fit, too.
    And we didn't blow up, so we got that going for us. Which is nice.

The Witness compact polymer CZ clones are nice pistols, made by Tanfoglio and work very well. Have had one in 45 acp for 17 years, these days it is my dedicated emergency car kit pistol and was my dedicated bedside table pistol before switching to a .357 revolver so it matched my wife's bedside revolver.

But, without looking up stats, not sure the are much smaller than the Hi-Power, think the HP might even be thinner in some stats.
    Last edited by lee1959; 04-14-2017 at 04:19 PM.

THE CURRENT TF'S ARE NOT CZ(75) CLONES.
    the cz 75 has no patents and was copied by lot of counties/companies.
    the original tf's were clones and were mostly a good bang for the buck.
    i still own a 9/40 kit gun.
    BUT
    some years back they went to large frame only. dropped the 9/40
    sized frame in favor of the FULL SIZE 45acp frame.
    IMHO way too big for the average person to use as a carry.
    imho the 3" 9mm mentioned earlier has too short of a bbl.
    a xtp doing 1175 in a 4.5" drops to 1050 in a 3" . on the short side
    if marginal in my opinion

Cool

Canik V2 9 mm very accurate I own two both accurate. (Had three sold the one with no decocked divice made me nervous Carring a striker fire.
    copy of German HK with match triggers with all kind of extra's, sepera hoster, two back straps
    V2 two phase trigger striker fire, can be decocked then double action first shot best for Carring.
    (I carry a worthog para now nearly 10 years hammer allowed down on chambered round of 45 but out of active business I think?)
    And I have a carry 9 new in box LDA...Lightening double action another good design like the CANIK.
    I have Many guns, choices in at least 35 pistols or more.
    I'm no expert, clam nothing more than I can't seam to retire my 45 hog only 350 rounds through it in tune up secessions each year...><> Dan
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 04-15-2017 at 07:34 AM.

i do not see the Canik V2 9 mm being a "compact" carry gun.
    and it says "decocker" not safety.

remember he said he liked the 75 compact.
    look at something that size

it's not double stack, but what about a Makarov?

Cool

Decocker is correct....trigger is a Glock type safety device. On single action model!
    no need for safety on the V2 what I recommend to carry, not cocked one in chamber just pull trigger like a revolver!
    Holds 17 "double stacked" 9 mm's.
    I have the single TP 9 SA in black. First one.
    TP 9 V2 double action no Glock device in trigger. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	2142578
    Sold the tan TP SP didn't like non decocker set up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	9 
Size:	304.5 KB 
ID:	2142546 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	2142562 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	13 
Size:	314.8 KB 
ID:	2142570 < this one I would carry!
    lighter and compact enough for my frame 6' 1 190 pounds ..I carry open and light jacket or shirt covers it well. Much lighter that my very heavy worthog. Just a little longer.
    For my money invested I have no complaints....just wish they were in 45 cal.
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 04-15-2017 at 07:43 AM.

READ THE REQUEST OF THE POSTER.
    it is for him, not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Decocker is correct....trigger is a Glock type safety device. On single action model!
    no need for safety on the V2 what I recommend to carry, not cocked one in chamber just pull trigger like a revolver!
    Holds 17 "double stacked" 9 mm's.
    I have the single TP 9 SA in black. First one.
    TP 9 V2 double action no Glock device in trigger. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	10 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	2142578
    Sold the tan TP SP didn't like non decocker set up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Size:	304.5 KB 
ID:	2142546 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	2142562 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	13 
Size:	314.8 KB 
ID:	2142570 < this one I would carry!
    lighter and compact enough for my frame 6' 1 190 pounds ..I carry open and light jacket or shirt covers it well. Much lighter that my very heavy worthog. Just a little longer.
    For my money invested I have no complaints....just wish they were in 45 cal.

same answer, read the request of the poster.
    9 MM mak is NOT 9mm luger...not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP FAN View Post
    it's not double stack, but what about a Makarov?

Thumbs down

Sometimes requests are in a way people seeking a little more than a bracketed single look at a need!
    "We both are not Mods."
    I've came here to interact....
    not with just ideas but many old, new experiences .....
    someone may not thought of a newer concept gun on the market!
    "Please don't correct me its not your job or position to do so" and so rudely my friend><> Daniel

and some people just have a hard time reading and understanding simple english.
    he likes the cz 75 except it was a DECOCKER not a safety.
    that is at least twice he was clear he had no interest in a decocker.

Cool

Attachment 2149562 My cz B .and have the 97 45 too!
    One on each side of the B two almost new Cz clones.
    one pre production model smooth grips,
    one post production model with checkered grips, action arms Swiss ITM 84's. Both Very accurate
    pre Sphinx....linage.
    Now Kriss arms linage.
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 04-17-2017 at 08:01 AM.

what does that have to do with the question ?
    ( but to continue your side conversation
    my 97 has a serial number under 500.
    one of the first owners in the usa
    i have shot 75's in competition for nearly
    25 years. until recent imports, i owned the only 85 factory
    9x21 in the usa. (85 is an ambi 75)i own clone 75's. i own all three
    83's(32/380/9mak), an 82, a 52, a 50 a 70.
    the original 75's had slides lapped to the frame.
    probably the best trigger out of the box, and
    accuracy that cannot be ignored. you have a good day)

Attachment 2149562 My cz B .and have the 97 45 too!
    One on each side of the B two almost new Cz clones.
    one pre production model smooth grips,
    one post production model with checkered grips, action arms Swiss ITM 84's. Both Very accurate
    pre Sphinx....linage.
    Now Kriss arms linage.
    Last edited by ar10ar15man; 04-17-2017 at 02:50 PM.

I was implying....
    Plenty of cz's new, used, excellent (non Italian) copies too.
    Kriss has excellent guns just under $900. New. I've been looking at.
    Sphinx about $1000 or used ?
    Thought it was plain enough?

(Side conversation continued)
    I have an earlie 97...
    before faceted bushing change too!
    Have to look at SN?

yes but who makes a 75 compact with a safety...
    because he held a compact and he likes it.
    not many out there for sale that meet that guide line..
    i looked.
    ( a new compact is less than 600)

I was implying....
    Plenty of cz's new, used, excellent (non Italian) copies too.
    Kriss has excellent guns just under $900. New. I've been looking at.
    Sphinx about $1000 or used ?
    Thought it was plain enough?

(Side conversation continued)
    I have an earlie 97...
    before faceted bushing change too!
    Have to look at SN?

Cool

Cz 97..SN A 3*13 real early one ... Polished blue unfired.
    first one I saw I bought only seen 1# more since.

Your correct hard to find ...you know your quality...
    Follow many of your post like how you research and get to the point, the meat><> Dan
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 04-24-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Question

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Jericho-941FL

On the trade / sale part of our gun boards.
    Cz with safety? Jericho....I'm not very familiar with these but they take check cz75 clips.><> Dan
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 04-20-2017 at 08:33 AM.

an update as to why they are hard to find.
    i talked to cz usa.
    they are out, they are back ordered big time..maybe thru the fall.
    they get in supply every 2-3 weeks and are just filling back orders.
    sooo if you want one get your dealer to put it on order NOW.
    OR EXPECT TO WAIT A WHILE.
    my question was specific to the compact with safety.

an update as to why they are hard to find.
    i talked to cz usa.
    they are out, they are back ordered big time..maybe thru the fall.
    they get in supply every 2-3 weeks and are just filling back orders.
    sooo if you want one get your dealer to put it on order NOW.
    OR EXPECT TO WAIT A WHILE.
    my question was specific to the compact with safety.
    Fantastic follow-up, thanks.
    That's more or less what the guy at the LGS said, that they get them periodically and then they're real hard to get ahold of sometimes. He might have a line on a 2075 RAMI for me so hopefully that shakes out.

( see what you guys did!! i bought a 75b
    in 40 S&W W/wood grips and original box
    and paperwork..now how am i going to
    afford the compact ?)

there are a couple with 10 rd mags on gun broker.
    there was one used one....
    but i bought it!

Quote Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
    I'm switching to appendix carry. Just too paranoid about printing or somebody grabbing for my gun and I'd like to carry a double stack instead of my single G43. I'd like a g19 or g26 but I need an external safety for peace of mind as the gun will now be pointing towards my femoral and my thunder down under. For reliability I'd like to go with a CZ but after looking into it the 2075s and Compacts are nowhere to be found. Not sure I'd like to trust my life to a Tanfo clone of these guns either. Suggestions?

I'd imagine I'll get some "just get a Glock and be extra careful". If only it were that simple, but as I said this is a peace of mind issue and not a passing concern I can just will away. I just can't do it or I would have been from the start.
    for the same size as the glock 19,
    if you can get past the safety part and use a decocker,

SIG P225\P6
    HK 2000 SK,

both hammer guns, both decockers meaning double action first, single action seconds,

I sometimes carry a P6 or a P220, no issues, no drama,

and too much gut for appendix carry
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

we have been down this road.
    he is old school ..like me.
    i like hammers and safeties,
    so does he.

i have to admit to owning ONE glock,
    but 8 or 9 cz's

Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post
    for the same size as the glock 19,
    if you can get past the safety part and use a decocker,

SIG P225\P6
    HK 2000 SK,

both hammer guns, both decockers meaning double action first, single action seconds,

I sometimes carry a P6 or a P220, no issues, no drama,

and too much gut for appendix carry

we have been down this road.
    he is old school ..like me.
    i like hammers and safeties,
    so does he.

i have to admit to owning ONE glock,
    but 8 or 9 cz's
    I have come to like a decocker on the SIG,

and yes, have couple of glocks, but they are house guns, never will carry one

CZ's , and clones, are nice but seem heavy to me,

had a few used thru the shop, and they sell quickly,

checked Lipsey's
    they show some CZ's as out of stock, the rest (including the compact, both standard safety and decocker) as allocated,
    meaning small dealers may not see them for a good while
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast