Sestroryetsk M91 Finn Capture

Thread: Sestroryetsk M91 Finn Capture

Default Sestroryetsk M91 Finn Capture

This followed me home from a gunshow. M91, built at Sestroryetsk in 1917, Finn capture, put into a Finn spliced stock. CAI import, very small mark on right side of barrel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	2130610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	327.3 KB 
ID:	2130618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	287.8 KB 
ID:	2130626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	294.7 KB 
ID:	2130634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	303.2 KB 
ID:	2130658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	308.8 KB 
ID:	2130666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0621.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	2130674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	2130682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	2130690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0624.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	296.4 KB 
ID:	2130698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	2130706
    Last edited by skeath; 04-11-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Nice one! I got my first couple of '17 Sestroryetsk's recently. 11 apart on the production line. I think their logo is my favorite.

Mine too. It is always nice to find a Sestroryetsk.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on your rifle. Those are really handsome barrel markings or logo. Now I play the devils advocate, along the lines of the "Balkan traits" line of thinking. What makes this a Finn Capture? I did not see any known evidence supporting this as a Finn Capture? Sooner or later we are going to need to address the Finn Capture misconception as well as "Balkan pinecones" and "Balkan imports". This is not the most serious misconception and is gaining momentum with MN collecting, but it is becoming more and more common in describing a Finn rifle that all Finn M91s are captured. Adds to the romance of the rifles past but not accurate. Don't take this is as a personal slam skeath/OP as this is a fairly common misconception added to many descriptions but just not accurate as many if not most were bought on surplus market between the wars. Some were indeed captured or inherited from the Russians after Finnish Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Devil View Post
    Congrats on your rifle. Those are really handsome barrel markings or logo. Now I play the devils advocate, along the lines of the "Balkan traits" line of thinking. What makes this a Finn Capture? I did not see any known evidence supporting this as a Finn Capture? Sooner or later we are going to need to address the Finn Capture misconception as well as "Balkan pinecones" and "Balkan imports". This is not the most serious misconception and is gaining momentum with MN collecting, but it is becoming more and more common in describing a Finn rifle that all Finn M91s are captured. Adds to the romance of the rifles past but not accurate. Don't take this is as a personal slam skeath/OP as this is a fairly common misconception added to many descriptions but just not accurate as many if not most were bought on surplus market between the wars. Some were indeed captured or inherited from the Russians after Finnish Independence.
    Low hanging fruit: SA on the left of the chamber, the stock is uniquely Finnish, Arshin marks have been lined out (likely marked in meters on the other side)

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Devil View Post
    many if not most were bought on surplus market between the wars. Some were indeed captured or inherited from the Russians after Finnish Independence.
    So if the rifle above has all the traits seen on captured rifles but also seen on inherited or purchased surplus how can anybody know if they have a "capture" or "inherited and updated" rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by NLMosin View Post
    So if the rifle above has all the traits seen on captured rifles but also seen on inherited or purchased surplus how can anybody know if they have a "capture" or "inherited and updated" rifle?
    Ah, I misunderstood the question.

Quote Originally Posted by NLMosin View Post
    The only cases I know of where you can guarantee a rifle was a capture and not purchased by Finland from another nation, or inherited with independence, is if the rifle is either marked "41" or is a 1941 or later dated M91/30, M38 or M44.

A huge misconception, yes - Many/most Finn marked M91s are mostly NOT captured! They were purchased.
    According to JTV's site, 173,000 M91s were purchased by Finland from the 20s to 40s. My guess is that the Sestroryetsk above has a good chance of having been captured from the Russians in the Civil War and I'd also bet that a large number of the Remington and Westinghouse guns were also captured from the Russians or Red Guard. The collectors in Finland talk about the "Red Train" that contained many many thousands of M91s - especially Remingtons. Many were taken as prizes.This may be the source of many nice condition guns in the 220-290k range we see from Finland.

While we are killing sacred cows - the most commonly found Finn marked, Russian arsenal and Date M91 is actually a 1917 Sestroryetsk according to Airbornetrooper who has logged well over 100 of them. Yes - Sestroryetsk from 1917 are COMMON!

Later on we see 9130s that are Finn marked but not captured either - Blue Bolt Finns and many many others are purchases from the Germans - over 55,000 to be exact in 1944.

I used the term "Finn Capture" all the time, but the phrase battlefield pick-up is probably a lot more accurate for most of the Russian 91-30's and Dragoons. I like to envision a Finnish Soldier telling a Russian to drop "my rifle" and to put your hands over your head, but these visions are best left for the movies. IIRC there have been a few M91 captures that have been showcased on GunBoards over the years. Great summary Sparky236 thanks, Denny