Default Romanian SKS price?

What would be a good price for a very decent Romanian SKS? Also, anything I need to look especially for, features, stamps, type bayo, etc... There's one at the local pawn shop, and he's asking $400. I have a Russian, Chinese, and Yugo SKS. I know there were some rough looking Roms that came some time back, but this one looks really good. Thanks.
    Michael

I just saw one of the nicest 1958 Romanians in a local shop that could be had for $275.

Quote Originally Posted by coneten View Post
    I just saw one of the nicest 1958 Romanians in a local shop that could be had for $275.
    So, dates are something to look for? From looking on GB evidently the early dates are more sought after. '58, '59 or what? $275 seems to be an excellent price if it was in decent condition. Are you gonna get it?
    Michael

I don't know about the early dates being more desirable on the Romanian SKS's..I just remembered the date on this one. A few years ago a local dealer had a large number of very good condition Romanian SKS's for $169. The Romanians did vary as far as condition..some were almost like new and others had pitting on the exterior and wood that was pretty beat up. Some other SKS's demand a premium for dates..1949 Tula Russian..out of sight and some Albanian dates are scarce. One thing to look for is all stamped matching parts. Another is the condition of the wood. I think $400 is pretty high for a Romanian SKS.

IMO 1957's are the hardest to find and the earliest you are likely to find, there are also some marked with 80's date that show up every once in awhile that seem the rarest.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

$400. seems high to me. Granted, you don't see Romys offered for sale much. At least not in decent shape. If it was all matching #'s and in excellent condition, I'd pay $300., maybe $325. I don't own one myself, and would be willing to pay those prices to add a Romanian gun to my collection. I am sure that certain dates might command a higher price.

Century has Romanian SKS rifles for $270.

http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=52

And IO has thenm at $299

http://www.ioinc.us/shotgunnewsad.pdf
    Last edited by AKBLUE; 11-09-2008 at 09:17 PM.

I'm not gonna pay what he has on the tag. I didn't get a chance to talk to him as he(the owner)was very busy, and it was close to closing time, and I was anxious to get home with my Finn M91 transfer(which the ladies didn't charge me anything for). He always cuts me a deal, and I was curious as to how much of a deal that I was gonna bargain for. I'm calling Monday A.M. to ask him to hold it back until I can examine it closer, Friday. As usual, all of you guys have been real helpful, thanks.
    Michael
    Last edited by highestangel; 11-09-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    Century has Romanian SKS rifles for $270.

http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=52

And IO has thenm at $299

http://www.ioinc.us/shotgunnewsad.pdf
    AKBLUE, Thanks for the links. However, I've heard Century's are really rough, at best, and IO's excellent ones are $350, and $50 to hand select. Not sure what the $299 gets you, but I'd have to pay shipping, tax, and a trans fee from them. If my deal doesn't work out, I may end up doing that, or maybe do nothing at all. I'm looking to maybe trade a really nice LeFever Nitro Special 12ga SxS that's in really good shape in some kind of a deal with the owner of the shop.
    Michael

Default Update

Talked to the owner Monday, he's holding the rifle back until Friday morning for me to do a complete inspection. For sure it's a 1959 from what he told me. He was very busy, so I didn't press him on the matching parts, as he probably would just look at the basics, not ALL of the numbers. On matching numbers, does anything change for the Rom SKS rifles, say from the other countries SKS rifles? The best I can remember of my cursory look over of this rifle, the stock was beautiful(appeared original), bluing was 90% if not better, overall condition seemed to be excellent. That's what got my attention, as most recent posts here have been less than lack luster for the Roms. He priced it to me at $300 plus tax over the phone. He also had a Russian refurb, dark bolt, but was way high on the pricing, $400, but looked in excellent condition. I'll try to make a combo deal for both with my trade plus cash. I have a sweet Russian that I gave my son, but it's still mine, vice-a-versa, so I'd like to have a shooter that's mine. If I need to buy/sell/trade, or such,can't do that with "his" rifle. Wish prices for the various SKS rifles were the same here, as some members have reported in their neck of the woods! I'll try to offer him $200 for the two, and my LeFever "Nitro Special" 12ga double barrel, side by side, 28" barrels that's in excellent condition, and we'll go from there.
    Michael