Gunboards Forums banner

TIGR

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  p230 
#1 ·
There is a what I assume is a TIGR from California Armory import. Comes with the scope, accessories and two mags. Supposed to be unfired. $3200, is that in line with current prices?

#5 ·
Is it a TIGR Carbine or a TIGR SVD? Price difference between the two is huge. The carbine didn't have the flash hider, had a shorter barrel with the rear sight marked differently. The buttstock was shaped different too. The SVD version had a shorter barrel than a real SVD and had no gas adjustment.

Frank

#9 ·
You guys do realize it is "TIGER" Not TIGR as in OP ?? The Pre 1994 San Bruno Tiger was/is basically an SVD. And, they do have the gas adjustment (see pictures). As for the shorter barrel, it sure makes it handier. My Longer Barrel NDM86 is finished much nicer, but I see very little accuracy difference. The many Carbines came later, mostly for the East Bloc and European market. I have been in several East Bloc shops with various caliber Carbines right on the rack - albeit a ridiculous price - but there.

Attachments

#15 ·
Thats very interesting. It doesn't look like any of the 4 I bought from California Armory in 94. All were marked TIGR in both cyrillic and english lettering. The SVD's were a limited import that they stated was going to be 1000 rifles. All the rifles were numbered in that series. The first one I bought was in the low 100s of 1000 and the last was in the mid 600s of 1000. The last 2 had firing pin springs added and the first 2 got me sent a recall notice with drawings, a spring and bushing to mod the bolt with.
The carbines they imported didn't have the flash hider with the front sight and they came with the front sight installed. The SVD's were shipped with the flash hider/front sight loose in the box with a couple retaining pins.
The stocks on the carbines were a different shape and if I recall correctly the rear sight leaf was only marked to 300 m where the SVD's were marked up to 1900. I'm not sure who else imported the carbines but others did too. They were substantially cheaper and at a time when the SVD version was selling for $2500 or so the carbines were still under $1000. They were imported in much larger numbers and weren't nearly as popular. I think CDNN ended up with a lot of the carbines that couldn't be sold by the distributors. I don't think California Armory ever got the full 1000 SVD's in to the country.

Frank

#10 · (Edited)
The Russian is тигр.

тигр = TIGR in the English alphabet. This conversion of Russian names to English letters is common - SVD, PPSh41, Tokarev, Nagant, Makarov, etc. are not really English, of course.

The "тигр" model name converted to TIGR in English is commonly used by SVD collectors and in the Russian info sheets as "тигр" in Russian is the original variant official marketing name, but it is also correctly called Tiger by many owners, depending which is stamped on the rifle and how Russkie anyone is feeling that day.

(My father-in-law in Russia sent me the Russian hardcover book of all the wonderful SVD and VEPR "hunting" variants for me to drool over - the hunting SVDs cost about $1000 in Moscow, but you need to license them. They like the older ones more than the new.)

Most US rifles came stamped Tiger but some imports are marked Тигр instead.

If you all prefer, we can call them тигрs to really be correct, but the Tiger model is stamped on some for US consumption while тигр is stamped on others.

Here is a good informative link with photos where they are called both "Tigrs" and "Tigers" just to keep everyone happy:

http://www.dragunov.net/tiger.html

And $3500 is a fine price for a nice one in any variant.

(I have an NDM-86 with matched scope and all the goodies that cost me about $5000, but wish I had a Russian one as well.)

TIGR as in OP ?? The Pre 1994 San Bruno Tiger was/is basically an SVD. And, they do have the gas adjustment (see pictures). As for the shorter barrel, it sure makes it handier. My Longer Barrel NDM86 is finished much nicer, but I see very little accuracy difference. The many Carbines came later, mostly for the East Bloc and European market. I have been in several East Bloc shops with various caliber Carbines right on the rack - albeit a ridiculous price - but there.[/QUOTE]

#17 ·
There is 'corrosive' .308 ammo. Besides, NDM86 rifles come in both .308 and 7.62x54r. I shoot 'corrosive' ammo all the time in my 7.62x54r NDM-86 without issue. You really must maintain your rifles properly after shooting regardless of the type of ammo used.

#16 ·
You are correct all 1000 were never imported. For whatever reason the "California" marked Tigrs enjoy considerable cache in Russia and Ukraine and are very desirable to collectors and shooters. No logical reason other than the suspicion over there that the export rifles must have been better quality than those made for the domestic market in Russia.

#18 ·
SVD (СВД) stands for Снайперская Винтовка системы Драгунова, or the full name Снайперская Винтовка системы Драгунова образца 1963 года

or in english
Sniper Rifle, System of Dragunov, Model of the Year 1963

Original rifle designation СВД-63 (or SVD-63)

To that degree, I would argue that the term "SVD" should apply to all rifles that belong to the "Rifle System of Dragunov", as the name implies.

Wouldn't you say that the AKM, AK-47, AK-74 etc are all "AK" rifles?

Wouldn't you say that a Saiga is an "AK" rifle?

The Tigr is to the SVD what the Saiga is to the AK.

A sporterized version that can be converted back into military configuration.

All you need to do is just switch out the furniture, change the rear sight leaf, replace the FSB, and install a gas regulator for the conversion.

In more extreme conversions, you can replace the 21" Tigr barrel with a 24" one.. if you really care about the 3" that much.

But considering modern SVD variants, like the SVD-M, SVD-S, OTS-03, all have ~21" barrels, same length as the tigr.

Does it really matter?

SVD-S, these were designed in 1991, put into service in 1994. 22" barrels

US import Tigr converted to SVD-S. Rear SVD-S receiver end machined and re-welded to a tigr

Fixed stock version of the SVD-M, uses a standard receiver that can take standard or surplus SVD fixed stocks, as well as a modern side folding stock. 21" barrel

Paratrooper version of the SVD-M, with the same receiver and side folding stock as the SVD-S, 21" barrel

OTS-03, 20.5" barrel.

rest of the barrel is under the suppressor

VS-121, ~21" barrel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.