I got burglarized!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I got burglarized!

Default I got burglarized!

I came home and my house was broken into. Entire house trashed, stuff turned upside down, pictures off the wall, entire floor from one end of the place to the other covered with papers and contents of cupboards....trashed.

Two small cheapo Homak safes were broken into, they used sledge hammers and grinders to access them. I used to own the entire SA Izhevsk 91-30 years of production. They got away with years 1935 hex to 1943, with a transitional Izhevsk and Tula 91-30.

All was not lost, they left behind outside, a pile of 91-30s(9 of them) in a sleeping bad & outside of the perimeter I recovered a backpack with some of my tools and my Swedish mauser bayonets.

My question to you guys is....What home security system do you use? I am looking into a buying a security system, cameras, alarm, pepper spray etc.etc. They didn't get into my other stuff, but.....these guys were thorough and bold.....they will come back with better tools I have no doubt.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Pahtu.

Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    БЕЛОЧКА!
    Я ПРИШЛА!!

Hilarious Russian Humor

I use protection one. You can watch your house from your phone or computer while away. You can get window sensors, motion sensors, cameras and other stuff. I like it. You can arm it from your phone or computer if you forget before you leave.
    I'm sorry that happened to you. That's absolutely horrible. I'd be devastated. Such low life's. Hope you can recover them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I know Home Depot has several different varieties, with free installation. I'm talking motion detectors with cameras that link to your phone for instant recognition of the intruder. Sorry for your situation, nothing pisses me off more than your castle being broke into...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There can be only one, and that's me....JR

Sorry to hear.

Let's hope they pawn them and the serials from the police report show up.

A German Shepherd.
    That stinks to high heaven. I hope you've got the serial numbers and catch those miserable low lifes.
    And we didn't blow up, so we got that going for us. Which is nice.

Just expletive! I feel real sorry for you Pahtu...

My neighbor the marine, has the best security system around here.

The whole place is fenced in with logging cable down low to stop vehicles, then chain link fence above that.

Inside are a lose pack of "junk yard" dogs.

At the end of the gated driveway he has two signs; "If you can read this sign you are in range" and "Smile you are on camera."

Do the cops have any leads?

So sorry to hear this! Please post up serial numbers and descriptions so we can be on the look out! These scum need to be caught. I'm not in your part of the country, but I will keep my eyes open.

I am sorry to here that and sorry for your loss. A couple of things come to mind. I believe they knew you or at least knew what you had. They also knew your schedule since they spent some time in your place. It also appears they fled on foot some distance to jump in a vehicle. Maybe neighbors or others might have noticed something or businesses in the area might have cameras that caught something. The police will not follow up on these types of rabbit trails. You will need to. Not a typical smash and grab. Most thieves know they have at least 5 minutes in the city areas and 15 minutes in rural areas even if they trip an alarm. That is still adequate time to grab a lot of items and get away. The police will not spend much time on your case, unfortunately. It is important to forward serial numbers to them in case they turn up at pawn shops. Watch Craigslist and Armslist. Go to the local gun shows and spread the word. Ultimately you need a storage room built strong enough to not get into until the police arrive. John.

Good job having the best stuff secured. I will be setting up an alarm system shortly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limpetmine View Post
    A German Shepherd.
    That stinks to high heaven. I hope you've got the serial numbers and catch those miserable low lifes.
    +1 on German shepherd. I remove the bolts from the rifles and secure them elsewhere. And it goes without saying to maintain a detailed inventory.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Hopefully the local PD will be able to track them and recover your goods. We had our cars broken into in our driveway last year and after that we put up a couple of motion activated cameras/lights. Wound up getting a Versonel Nightwatcher for the front to cover the driveway and another for the back yard. It's wifi enabled and can notify you on the phone when it detects motion. Problem for us is that our street can be pretty active during the day so the notifications can get a bit annoying. You can turn those off though. It will record onto an SD card and will store around 2 weeks worth on a small 8GB card. In a more rural setting or with a bigger card, it'll obviously last much longer. You can view the live stream or what the camera recorded via the phone. Works reasonably well for what we want it to do. For inside the house, we've got a German Shepherd and if anyone is willing to break in with her vicious barking, well, they're gonna get what they deserve. She's ridiculously protective of the house and us, I'm certainly not going to discourage that behavior.
    Lotema

-- Below are my favorites from the safe... The others are near and dear to me but these ones are a little more special.
    1905 - M91 - Sestroryetsk
    1916 - M91 - Tula "Peter the Great"
    1917 - M91 - Remington
    1942 - M91 - VKT "B" Barrel
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

I'm sorry, sad and mad as hell. Nothing will keep a determined thief out. Around here they just bust through brick walls with a sledge or chop saw. Wooden structures are quick with a chain saw. It really sucks and haunts you forever. We all need to take pictures and log numbers then keep this info somewhere else. Pahtu, I feel your pain. Sorry man, I hope that they are caught and recovered quickly. They stole my camera recorder that was in a locked steel cabinet. Lot of good that did. I could go on and on...
    "You'd know what it is if you needed one!"

Very sorry to hear of this.

There is a tear gas bomb available that goes off when a string is pulled and fills the room with gas. It is advertised in several firearms publications - I will try to find it for you.

Sounds like they knew you, or of you. Friends of kids? Cleaning lady's boyfriend? Neighborhood crackhead?

Hope the cops got prints and you tell all gun stores and pawn shops for 50 miles around - print up a circular with pictures and serial numbers for all the stores.

Another option is a trail camera or two, plus loud alarms (and the tear gas bomb.)
    Last edited by Stalin's Ghost; 04-12-2017 at 10:21 AM.

That sucks beyond belief. Makes me sick to think about it. On the bright side, you have made all of us think about our own security (or lack thereof) and may help prevent someone else going through this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I feel horrible for you. I have a rural place and every time I'm away I worry about theft.

I'm far enough out that there is no internet for the cameras that you can monitor with your phone, that type of camera seems like the ideal system for monitoring a place when away. But without a high speed connection this is no good for me.

So I bought a number of trail cameras and set them up along my relatively long driveway. I figure thieves might notice and remove one or two, but I should still get some pictures of vehicles/license numbers from the others if someone sneaks in.

I have been looking at low cost indoor camera systems, prices have come way down recently, but I haven't set up anything yet. I want something that backs up pictures wirelessly to a hidden drive as I expect thieves would grab the camera and computer. Unfortunately, I think many of the people who steal are very good at what they do and very difficult to guard against.

I think little things help too, like having neighbors drive into you place after a snow or rain if you are not around, programmed light switches, stuff like that.

Sorry to hear you got burgled, hope you get your stuff back.

Does sound like they may know you or at least of you? Seems to me this is not the first time. Not much help I know. Wish there was something we could do to help. A common practice around here is some AHole working for cable tv, plumber, gutter/siding companys scouts out a good prospect and communicates this to some scumbag who does the actual burglary. If they are smart it is hard to catch. Have any recent work done. They like contractor tools as often a person has multiple contractors or projects going on. You have mentioned your a teacher? Do you share your passion with students, it only takes one person with a big mouth. I worry about an x girlfriends boys I befriended 25 years ago. They were good kids back then, both have changed and have been known to hang with low lifes {like I did when I was younger}. Just takes one person and it need not be a bad person to start talking about "all the guns a friend of mine has, incredible you should see them all". Without even attempting to cause you trouble they can. I don't talk about guns in public often and especially at work unless I am reasonably confident of the person. Have laid into a good friend who I know can go on about gun stuff as a way to "puff herself up" to others. She understands now but I had to get on her case about her talking about it like it is common knowledge or even ok to discuss with other people who are not on the need to know list. Best of outcomes to you. John.
    Last edited by Handsome Devil; 04-12-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Trail cameras and tiny Nanny Cams have been a good addition to security lately and have helped to catch some thieves. Hide them well but be sure that they can "see" okay. Secrecy is the big thing. Tell no one if possible. They can be stolen as well. A modified steel box, lagged and locked helps. You have got to keep up on them, batteries, memory cards and obstructions. The good thing is that they are stand alone items and don't rely on a central recorder or wiring. Some IR ones can be seen at night if they glow red. Buy the best that you can afford and have them shipped so that one or two less locals know. It stinks when you don't know who that you can trust.
    "You'd know what it is if you needed one!"

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

I know how you feel Pahtu. I have been there. Luckily, only a pistol was taken from my apartment as the only firearm. I currently use ADT. They have a quick response time to talking to the police and our police are pretty quick. Most people have to realize they need something that will keep burglars busy for 10 minutes before the police show up. If they had grinders and sledges, they were prepared. They knew you had guns. Somehow.

With respect to the rest of my house contents, they are all replaceable. The firearms are of my only concern.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

The defensive tear gas bomb I mentioned comes from burglarbomb.com. It resembles Viet Cong IED trigger technology, but neater looking, spraying pressurized tear gas that can't be stopped once started.

It is a clever legal trap device that releases a spray of gas when tripped, driving everybody out of the house for a few hours. Cool device -I have one on one of my glass gun cases guarding my m27rv and similar valuable rifles that I really like to look at. Not what you want the kids to play with!

I also lock a line of racked less valuable rifles with heavy stainless steel yacht braid cable through trigger guards linked to big eye screws in the wall. Only a high speed grinder can cut it, not a bolt cutter or wire cutter or even a hacksaw in any normal amount of time.

I have ADT but they are far away, as is the sheriff. My dogs, numerous cars in the driveway, a TV left on and and my odd hours back and forth may help, as will the CCW gun I have.

I am so sorry Pahtu, I hope the idiots try and pawn some of them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    My question to you guys is....What home security system do you use? I am looking into a buying a security system, cameras, alarm, pepper spray etc.etc.
    Sorry to hear about your break in. To answer your questions I have used ADT Security for over 30 years, very pleased with the service. Have motion detectors and cameras installed, the cameras record off site. As far as the pepper spray, the only one I use has a 12 ga applicator with a eight round magazine.

That is very bad news.

I hope they catch the thieves and your property is recovered.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Terrible story and chances are the weapons are being sold for someone's crack or meth. Chances are they know what they were looking for. Son of a Friend of a friend who is on drugs and needs a quick fix. Cameras make u feel good but not sure it helps as the damage is done. Can u imagine a pristine weapon carried with 10 others like a sack of potatoes? I had a friend who had a flash grenade set with the pepper gas booby trap if someone was trying anything. Sadly he passed last year and his collection is going up to jj soon for auction. I have all the bells and whistles, but not sure when the time comes will folks respond. I have always thought of electrifying the system like a horse fence or worse. I'm sure I would be sued when tyrese's or dalton's mom found out their son was electrocuted during a burglary

Sorry to hear it. I worry about the same thing.

I have Comcast/Xfinity Security with window & motion detectors. They also offer video.
    "When Stalin says dance, a wise man dances."
    N. Khrushchev in Khrushchev Remembers

I am looking for a pre-war or war-time M38 stock

Horrible, just horrible. Sorry to hear of your troubles. The other replies are spot on: dogs, fencing, alarms, safes, hidden (parts; bolts removed), inventory, tear-gas bombs, etc. Multiple layers of protection are a must. The NRA does offer insurance, if you are a member you might want to look into it. It's free up to $2500 in value and then on a sliding scale as your collection's value increases. Many home insurance companies will not cover firearms, sad. I use ProtectionOne for an alarm system, motion detectors, glass break sensors, door sensors, CO2/CO sensor (ProOne can notify the Fire Dept while we're away or send an ambulance if it's CO and we are not responding to calls). We can monitor the status of our home via our phones, turning the alarm on/off, nice! It's a little rich at $60/month but I'm up for a new contract and have known guys who've threatened to switch alarm companies and received a 25% discount thereafter. Most companies start at $20/month for basic alarm monitoring and some do offer camera recording. Do get the "wireless" (uses cell phone technology to communicate with the alarm company) rather than rely on your phone line which can be cut easily. Most alarms also come with a battery backup which is good for 6-12 hours if they cut your power. Other things to consider: in every entry door install grade 1 deadbolts, keyed on both sides, have metal doors and use a minimum 3" long screws on the striker-plates going into the house, not just the doors frame. There are devices to prevent "kick-ins" of doors that don't seem like much but the video's of them in action say otherwise, basically metal strips that spread the impact over the door frame and away from the striker-plate or hinge side. They are not that expensive and easy to set up. Unfortunately stand-alone camera systems seem too expensive, even nanny-cams are pricey, if anyone knows of something reasonable please reply. There are inexpensive "dummy" cameras you can buy to set up outside to scare off the timid. Ditto for signs stating "Protected by ...". But this last part can be hard to hear, don't talk about your firearms to anybody without anonymity. No talking to: the guys at the range, the g-shop, the coffee shop, the neighbors, even your relatives. All it takes is someone to overhear, "I've got this sweet collection of ...." or the comments repeated innocently in front of the wrong party and it's off to the races of the dirt-bags. Knowing something is there is what plants the idea in these dip$hit's minds, that it's there for their taking. In the last few years of my Dad's life he was talking to anybody about everything, including his guns. It drove me nuts. He kept his guns wrapped in towels with twine in the backs of closets, no safe(s). How he avoided a break-in is beyond me....
    I hope the police recover your firearms and return them to you and stick it in and break it off in the guys responsible.
    Last edited by gutentag; 04-12-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Really sorry to hear about this break-in. It's awful when these things happen.

Simplisafe is a good system, links to your phone and is both sensor and motion with cams. Wireless and self install. I'm sorry to hear this. I know how you feel. I've never recovered 13 Finnish pistols stolen 8 years ago.
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Use the decoy method. Install a nice big safe and throw some worthless trinkets in it. Then hide your good stuff in the attic, a false wall, or somewhere else, maybe even bury it in your backyard in a PVC tube. I also, remove all the bolts and hide them in another location, so if they do get to the guns they wont work at least not right away.

Awful news. So sorry to hear this.

man, that sucks.....people who are about to buy a gun safe need to read these kinds of stories. A good quality (not Costco/Home Depot quality) gun safe would have stopped these guys or at least slowed them down enough for someone to catch them.

When you buy a quality safe (and secure it to the building properly) you are buying more than just a metal box, you are buying piece of mind.....

Get security system/ company what offers to alarm police/fire department/ or you in case of faulty machine flooding water 24/7. Text message picture of intruder doesnt help if you are sleeping or forget phone muted somewhere, it needs to be instant. It will have monthly fee, wireless cameras and smoke/water moist sensors, and it can be called smarthome after that. Equipment cost maybe 1000€ and 50€/month?

Other thing is to have police criminal inspector as your neighbor.
    Last edited by Merkkari; 04-12-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Security systems in layers.
    Perimeter fence and locked gate. 2 German Shepards in yard. Security doors. Key locks inside and out. Trip wires to pepper spray in gun rooms. (If allowed by your state laws). An alarm company but I have no idea who you should use in your area. Better safes, with half inch walls. Still, you may get ripped off but it will slow them down to where the security alarm may drive them off before they can break into your safes

Bad news, always worse knowing someone got in rather than what they took. Usually it is an acquaintance or some one you met once or a stranger accompanying someone you know that has been in your home previously. Crooks don't like going into homes they have not scoped out first.
    My advice is a security system of some sort. But to prevent loss get a good safe, cheaper ones don't slow crooks down enough. Buy a surplus government document security safe and bolt it to the floor (all 4 corners) and to the wall. Hammers and a grinder will take over an hour minumum to defeat such a safe. The heavier govt. plate safes also are large enough to hold rifles and they keep out trained professionals for hours. You want a Sargent and Greenleaf combination lock, preferably a 8500 series lock. These document safes are designed to hold a 4 drawer file cabinet and are resistant to attack by professionals for a minimum of 1 hour. Govt. surplus auctions sell them for between $150 and up. You can hammer the handle off of one and it will break off before there is any lock damage. Lots of hard plate protects the lock and mechanism against drilling/grinding etc. Get one, bolt it down, no thief will stay long enough to access a safe like these.

SimpliSafe. Simpliface.com Monitored, fast response when the alarm sounds. First you are called. If you don't answer or have the safe word, the law is called.

We used CS in cans together with alarm. 12 years we never lost anything and it was tripped twice. The only thing about the good CS is that it lingers in the space for a few days. I see they have pepper spray available in the same system which would not stick around like the CS. Loud alarm is also very good inside and outside and the cops coming. Good luck. Stretch

As far as a "bait and switch" that one poster had remarked about, that's a good idea too! There was an article I saw a couple of years ago, a drawer was installed in the toe-kick under the kitchen cabinets. A guy had a bunch of pistols in there. To access it he'd open up the drawer above it part way, insert an allen key through a 1/4" dia. hole to unlock the drawer and a spring kicked out the drawer. At a g-show a couple years back a fella was selling "fake" electrical panels, complete with breakers. Behind it was a wall safe for pistols. I've also seen built-in book shelves that open to a shallow safe. All sneaky stuff...

This truly sucks and is one of my worse fears. Today they broke ground on new a shop/secured storage building for me, so I am very interested in comments, etc.
    If you don't mind sharing your home setup - such as home in residential area, an apartment or more rural home, it might be helpful. I am very rural and can only be reached
    by vehicle down 1/2 mile private lane - no neighbors.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Sorry to hear about your burglary.

I also use a layered system. Locked access gate at road end of driveway with a quality hand made chain and a top end lock. Next I have an outside lighting system that illuminates my entire yard and outbuildings. I have a Rottweiler and he has a loud bark. My safe is quality and are lagged to the floor with four bolts to prevent it from being tipped over or carried out. I don't post on Facebook or any other social media with vacation pictures when I am away from home. I am very careful who I allow into my home, and this includes any service persons who are preforming work for me. I don't brag about how many firearms I own.
    No system is going to defeat a burglar who has the tools and time to steal your valuables. My hope is that any burglar is going to pass up my house and move on to a softer target.

Really sorry for what happened to you, it's not just the stuff taken, it's the feeling you get that someone's been going through everything. That's a violation no insurance can cover and it takes time to get over it. But you will. And it's a warning to all of us that these things happen, scumbags exist and we are all targets.

I am concerned about the mailbox in front of my house. I've had things stolen from it. But more than that, anyone can open it and see where my mail is coming from. Anything that identifies mail as from a supplier of ammunition, guns etc. can target you as someone who might have something worth taking. I now use a post office box for almost everything and hope that deliveries to the house from UPS etc. are not too obvious.
    I have ADT motion sensors, alarms, battery back-up etc. They are quick to call if we set something off by accident. So that's some comfort but far from total protection. But all of this only slows down or deters the felon breaking in. I like the bolt idea, total inventory recording, great photos of serial numbers can really help.
    Much of the stuff we have here on this forum is not going to bring big money when fenced, and will probably show up on the secondary market before long as a Nagant is not highly sought after by crack heads who really want cash.
    I'll probably start a new thread but I wonder how many of us personally know someone who has been the victim of home-invasion? I never thought much about it but now can say I know two friends who have been
    broken into when they were home. One killed the intruder with a .40 caliber S&W, the other was tied up and beaten for 4 hours before being released. So while this reminds us to be careful when we are not at home, don't forget to have a plan for when you are home and have to do what needs to be done.....
    Best,
    Bruce

Pahtu,
    Like everyone here, I am very sorry to hear this news. It is something we all fear happening, and we all take comfort in knowing this is relatively uncommon. But that's no solace after the fact. I would like to think that they might one day hit a house when the owner is home, and that owner can put the thieves permanently out of business.

Given they trashed the place makes it sound like a job that wasn't targeting guns specifically. However if they brought their own tools then perhaps it was. I have safe, security system (ADT), as well as dogs and insurance. Also I am particular about who knows what is there. That's generally limited to a few close friends who know the value of discretion.

I can only hope you can file specific loss reports, and that they turn up somewhere. And I hope the perpetrators are captured, or better.

Seems like the bad guys in NE Ohio are copying ISIS... The latest MO is running a vehicle through guns stores and grabbing what they can. As others mentioned in this thread, creativity knows no boundary. The same should be said for protection. Whatever works!

That's just rotten, stinking rotten! Sorry to hear this.

If you don't know the pawn and gun shops well in the Tri-cities, let me know via PM or publicly and I'll shoot you the names and addresses. I'll also be happy to drop in to those shops periodically (do it anyway with one of them, the other two are typically over-priced and/or have nothing of interest) to see if any Mosins pop up as consignments or pawns. I typically see 0-1 Mosins, usually the recent billboards or something bubba'd, and if yours are all SA marked they'll really stand out.

Very sorry this happened to you. Hope the crooks are caught and your stuff returned.
    It is something we all worry about. Protection seems expensive until this happens.
    At least it will provide warning and protection ideas for others including things that don't work well.
    Gary

Been down this road and it is the most frustrating feeling I have ever endured! You feel violated and mad beyond belief but really all you can do is learn from it. As someone said all you can do is realize there is no real way to stop a determined thief, but you sure can make him work hard and slow him down a bit.

What ever kind of system you get make sure you have some kind of backup electric supply for the system as we had a rash of break-ins around here where they cut the electric a couple of days before and came back after the batteries were dead in the backup system. Every system has failings but as someone said multiple layers will help. If you put some kind of system in with a gas or possible positive defense force be careful you aren't violating local or state laws using it. As we all know criminals have more rights than we do these days. It is not possible to feel completely safe but you have to get close to it if possible.

Feel bad for you Pahtu but no amount of my words can make a difference I know! I went through this and it just plain stinks! Let us know serials and maybe unlike Vic we will find some of them. Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast