I got burglarized! - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I got burglarized!

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    They brought the chainsaw grinder and hand drill and sledge hammer with them - I initially thought the tool left behind was a grinder, but it was a chainsaw chain sharpener with a disc. All the tools left behind were not mine - Out of frustration, I took the tools out and shot them, cept the sledge hammer of which I gave to a co-worker.

I was questioned by the sheriff why I entered my house when I knew they had my rifles....I told him I did so with my handgun drawn.....stupid I suppose, but I am proficient with handguns. Yes I could be overpowered but I did not care, I was angry.

Pahtu.
    I am STILL not totally convinced that these thieves were professionals.

There's a saying: Don't attribute something to malicious intent if it can be adequately explained by ignorance and stupidity.

Yeah, they brought a 'grinder', a drill, and a sledgehammer which were useful in getting into the safe, but as I see it, they would have needed the grinder (or at least a good set of bolt cutters) to get through your fence anyway.

The drill and the sledgehammer could have been brought in order to jimmy or beat in the front door.

You just don't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    I am STILL not totally convinced that these thieves were professionals
    I agree, they were not. These guys were in my house for hours, plenty of time to access the other locked up stuff & if they were professionals they would have got it. These guys helped themselves to a bottle of wine, packed up screws and nails and numerous items worth 5 bucks or less - Professionals would know better and not waste time stealing such things.

Pahtu.

They became over whelmed with greed....steeped in possibilities....and changed the hit and get out plans?
    A group of guys that drank, ran together equally...no "real" leader?
    Locals maybe a few others near by in towns getting together on a few weekends, playing cards, or fishing, hunting together in there youth that type of friendship I would imagin tight enough to for a close group to talk of some big schemes in there years together....
    not professionals, friends, maybe went to high school together, with big plans to score a bit of money.><>
    Showing internet stuff I don't think brought attention just common knowledge of a gun trader collecter as I'm know in my neck of the woods.....
    yes helped me wheel deal trade buy...too long getting attention 30 years....
    It could happen to me!......
    All the things I do to protect my house....it would only take the virtual group of thugs I discribed about to get an original thought....and apply planned efforts,monitor my work schedule car, gone ....etc.. Exciting a half thought out plan damaging house, safes, guns.....such as your terrible stitutation.
    Living near police TWO in my home place community and nosie neborhood types....makes variables to cautch unknowns on the dead end street with any unusual traffic seen, known, and monitored daily.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson Hornet View Post
    As you can see from the postings here, the percentage of people who have been "violated" is totally unacceptable!
    +1!!!

Lost a tricked out AK and drums mag's. 1,100 rounds of ammo mag's and a hi power copy....
    even got a few basic clues....were it was.
    The thief became an informant...!
    dead ended with police telling me to stay out of it because..I was messing with an informentment. (Or maybe over lapping the feds investigation of his pharmacy owning dad)
    I was trading guns regularly in those days.... hearing many and reporting new leads to them...
    people my friends trading too, hearing many things...
    so I stopped telling them....!

I think the guns ended in a local pharmacy, Fed. Tax, gambling, dope bust investigation ...!
    Was Last link I had to the guns I ever heard of.... It was the guys son whom OD died.
    So everyone gets the touch from thieves.
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; Yesterday at 06:23 PM.

Screws and nails, heavy ammo. This is recycle yard stuff. It has weight to it and that is what counts in the scrap business. Good news is that if the yards follow protocol there should be a photo id along with a list of what was scrapped. Not all scrap yards will take live rounds either. My thoughts anyway.

Finestkind
    I agree, they were not. These guys were in my house for hours, plenty of time to access the other locked up stuff & if they were professionals they would have got it. These guys helped themselves to a bottle of wine, packed up screws and nails and numerous items worth 5 bucks or less - Professionals would know better and not waste time stealing such things.

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Bearbait View Post
    Do you know if a Kodak EasyShare C613 has the geolocation tag ability?
    No. It would need to have GPS capability which means it would need a receiver of some kind...which it doesn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyears View Post
    No. It would need to have GPS capability which means it would need a receiver of some kind...which it doesn't have.
    Well that is good to know. Thank you for that reassuring information.

I believe this theft of Pahtu's rifles, will have the effect of reducing the number of pictures of quality rifles produced around here. One thing I really enjoyed was seeing those amazingly detailed pictures, produced by Pahtu and others. I've learned a lot about the history of Mosins that way. I'm sure in more ways than I could guess, this event has had a negative effect on us all.

Pahtu.
    Do you still have the bottle for fingerprints?
    Just one more Mosin and my collection will be complete!

It takes a whole village to raise an idiot.

Hope ...is just disappointment protracted.

Sometimes when we cross a bridge in life we should burn it behind us so our enemies cannot follow.

I'm looking for an SKS rear receiver cover with the sn 01822.

Democrats!!..the original flamers of the Constitution.

"My poor Krell !" ....yes, and I fear they are us.

China out of USA!.....Feng Shui, no way!

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinmeister View Post
    Do you still have the bottle for fingerprints?
    Bottle, windows, dang near everywhere else in my house..

I believe they used the bottle for a spittoon after they drank and spilled the wine in my office....

Pahtu.

I'm very sorry this happened to you!!! This makes me want to get rid of most of my guns until I can afford to build a house with a concrete room in the basement with an old bank vault door as the door!

Sorry to hear of this. I took time to read/scan most of the previous comments but don't recall seeing the most obvious (to me) of probable causes of this crime. It may be due to forums like ours. 8 billion+ can see every thing we post. Our posts, especially those with pics may provide the minutest details of value, location and probable security measures. The fun of sharing our hobby may now come with a permanent security risk.. This is something we have never encountered before and should be aware of.

I came home and my house was broken into. Entire house trashed, stuff turned upside down, pictures off the wall, entire floor from one end of the place to the other covered with papers and contents of cupboards....trashed.

Two small cheapo Homak safes were broken into, they used sledge hammers and grinders to access them. I used to own the entire SA Izhevsk 91-30 years of production. They got away with years 1935 hex to 1943, with a transitional Izhevsk and Tula 91-30.

All was not lost, they left behind outside, a pile of 91-30s(9 of them) in a sleeping bad & outside of the perimeter I recovered a backpack with some of my tools and my Swedish mauser bayonets.

My question to you guys is....What home security system do you use? I am looking into a buying a security system, cameras, alarm, pepper spray etc.etc. They didn't get into my other stuff, but.....these guys were thorough and bold.....they will come back with better tools I have no doubt.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Pahtu.
    Pahtu,
    We use ADT, and I have an 800 pound safe. I doubt any thugs will hang around with a siren going off in the neighborhood. Plus the
    monitors will call the cops. Of course, if I am home, that is another story.
    Give ADT a call.
    Blackie

sorry that happened to you bro, you can try fluent they have treated me good so far. They installed cameras that i can view from my phone for cheap, so if anything happens i can also view while it records.

All good security advice - I had a local guy come in, 3500 to install, 40 some bucks a month for monitoring, spendy for sure. I sure like the value in front point or simply safe.....but.....are they quality or poor quality like the local guy says.....things to ponder....

Pahtu.

All good security advice - I had a local guy come in, 3500 to install, 40 some bucks a month for monitoring, spendy for sure. I sure like the value in front point or simply safe.....but.....are they quality or poor quality like the local guy says.....things to ponder....

Pahtu.
    Something to think about is alarm systems will not stop a pro or even slow them down. Cut the phone and cable while jamming cellular and the system isn't calling anyone. Wireless systems can be circumvented even easier with a jammer so that no signal is sent to the base station when a window or door alarm is tripped. They are however good for your average smash and grab, which is what most home break-ins are.

IMO hidden and exposed cameras that record to a cloud and on site are a must. Also will let you monitor things while away.

Obviously deterrents work well too; such as heavy duty safes. Lastly not too much beats a couple dogs.

Eastern Collectible Firearms Insurance is a must.

Sorry to hear of your loss and invasion of your privacy. I haven't read through the whole thread but hopefully they catch the bastards and you get back your possessions.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by capt14k; 04-20-2017 at 10:37 PM.

While visiting in Sacramento recently i saw some very sophisticated systems for residential use. Both external live feed cameras all around and in the house (and door bell cams) record and report everything on and off site 24-7. The installer claimed facial recognition bio metric IDs and even license plate scanning were part of the package. The bio-metrics are said to defeat disguised and even masked thieves (bad news for Berkeley protestors). Expensive tho at 5K install and 200/mo monitoring fees. The camera array at the main gate was impressive and also keeps tabs on deliveries and residents. The tech is getting cheaper tho.. The population growth in just a year is phenomenal and very frightening. Taking a random leak in the yard has, However, become rather hazardous.

Quote Originally Posted by hoseman View Post
    While I am not computer savvy at all, I have seen a lot of photos in this site, and others, that were taken with smartphones. Here is what I have learned about smartphones and the cameras attached to them....With some software, if you right click on the photo with your mouse, and look at the 'properties' of the photo, you can get the GPS co-ordinates of where that photo was taken. I don't know how to do it, but I have seen it done. I posted some pictures a few years ago and my son in law (who's a computer geek) showed me why that is not a good idea. He clicked on my photo, and in a few seconds google earth showed him right where it was taken (MY BACKYARD).
    Exif editor is what you need to remove the info. Facebook does it automatically, forums do not. On a side note posting just pics to an ongoing auction makes the auction easy to find because of the metatags. They too can be removed, but rarely does anyone do it.

some pics can contain the location to inches (or less) Not sure about IP address of sender. Sadly posting pics can open you up big time.

One other thing not mentioned yet is the type of power supply. Is your electric service by over head wire(s) or under ground.
    I wouldn't bear the extra expense of an up graded service to say 200 amps unless it was needed for other reasons anyway. If going this route use metal not plastic conduit... ditto for your telephone line.
    What's the advantage? I doubt the thieves that will fail to consider that one of the gang will need to climb a utility pole to kill your phone service before proceeding.

I know one person that has 5 lb of black powder behind the panel in the door.
    Yes, the door has a orange explosive sticker on it. I dont think I would want to open that door with a torch or grinder.
    Of course the powder is in there for "the sake of the children".

Yeah, "securing our borders" is really going to help guard against white trash burglars. SMH. Tell you what, you write your congressman and tell him that you want your taxes raised to pay for "harsh sentences" and "throw[ing] away the key" to pay for all that. Oh wait, he's probably jumping up and down wetting his pants trying to get taxes CUT. Can't have it both ways, y'know.
    Securing our borders is a must and is easily paid for once the 20M+ Obama added to foodstamps are removed and Planned Parenthood Funding is ended. In one year we save $30B+ enough to pay for a triple wall along the Southern Border. The $500M from ending Planned Parenthood Funding is enough yearly to fund the maintenance and security of the Southern Border.

The $30B in yearly savings can be used to fund infrastructure projects we so badly need. Make people who are on welfare and food stamps go to work as laborers in order to receive their benefits. Continue to lower the rolls as more are working and making enough to support themselves. Americans working and supporting themselves means less of them robbing houses due to the lack of free time and lack of need due to having their own money from working.

Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    I know one person that has 5 lb of black powder behind the panel in the door.
    Yes, the door has a orange explosive sticker on it. I dont think I would want to open that door with a torch or grinder.
    Of course the powder is in there for "the sake of the children".

........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
    Securing our borders is a must and is easily paid for once the 20M+ Obama added to foodstamps are removed and Planned Parenthood Funding is ended. In one year we save $30B+ enough to pay for a triple wall along the Southern Border. The $500M from ending Planned Parenthood Funding is enough yearly to fund the maintenance and security of the Southern Border.

The $30B in yearly savings can be used to fund infrastructure projects we so badly need. Make people who are on welfare and food stamps go to work as laborers in order to receive their benefits. Continue to lower the rolls as more are working and making enough to support themselves. Americans working and supporting themselves means less of them robbing houses due to the lack of free time and lack of need due to having their own money from working.
    Stated that way, you are making sense to me.

Able people that get general relief and foodstamps are made to work. The problem is that so many have children they need to take care of or they are totally worthless in a working enviorment. Many are on FS and GR because they are disabled and can't get a doctor to state they are. The rest are so for out on drugs and alcohol or just plain nuts that making them work would cost more than hiring someone.

The military used to be a dumping ground for troubled young men, but anyone in the military will tell you that they do not want the refuse that are forced to join, they want intelligent people that want to be there.

Stopping immigrants is a great goal, but defunding planned parenthood will just mean a baby boom, many from school aged children. Now, I do not believe in abortion, but the birth control that is given out helps these children(not to mention thier parents and grandparents) to finish school and have a better life.

This country has way too many people, many will never find a job that they can have for more than 1 year. We must control our population, if we are to stay a great nation.

I'm thinking the odds these sh!tbirds knew your mosins were rarer or different than garden variety refurb 91/30's are about zero point zero.

I suspect after they opened the safe and saw they were "$99 big 5 mosins", they lost interest and looked for other valuables with more fencing prospect.

Back to OP. Crime is now off scale in some states and rural folks are easy pickings. @^@%#$!!! California's exploding population are now largely lawbreakers and encourages crime by making theft less than $1000 a misdemeanor (ticket). Early prisoner releases, and criminal sanctuary state proclamations are drives both good folks and crooks into other states. Now they want to eliminate bail and release immediately. These lowlifes are armed with the latest technology and always searching for the next victim. If you like your life and your stuff don't advertise.

FWIW I have no doubt some crooks are reading these words right now and ROFLOA.

Sorry. I also worry about my guns. I am retired and around the house during the day except for a few trips for necessities. And I have three dogs that I consider the best home defense. Walk them around the house so that passers-by see them. It goes without saying that you should limit the number of people that see your guns. My feeling is that it is not the trusted people, friends, relatives, etc., that you have to worry about but the people that they talk to in turn. Say you show your nice neighbor your collection. Nice neighbor goes to work the next day and tells his lower class workers about this great gun collection his neighbor has. They get ideas, etc.

Misdemeanors are defined with a limited amount of jail time (max) and/or a limited amount of fine (max). Tickets in Ca are infractions(which you can't just do some time to erase, you must pay the fine, unless the judge agrees). Sometimes they will write a ticket for a misdemeanor(peddling without a license, or drinking in a park), but they usually take a person in for a misdemeanor.
    The problem here is that the state's prisons are full. The state is dumping prisoners on the counties, to do the time there, so the county jails are full. If you are guilty of a misdemeanor, they may put you in for a few days and then allow you to do it at home or in some cases, work(with an ankle bracelet). It isn't a pass, it is backlash on long term sentences that really do no good. Our prison system is becoming the largest institution for the elderly in the country.
    If we lock them up, it makes the unemployment rate look better, we all know people that have run out of unemployment insurance, so they just hang at home, taking care(or not really) of kids of a family member, because that works better than them working a minimum wage job at 55. I call these guys pretired, they can't find work in their field(because there is none), they can't work as a laborer, since they are not fit enough.
    When these guys that got 7-20 years finally get out, they can not find work either - so what can they do? They can't leave the state until parole is over, thier parents can't support themselves, much less someone that brings $70 of food stamps and $150 of General Relief to the house. They need jobs and that means we need to force an E-verify system on companies that hire undocumented workers and ship the illegals back to thier country.

they need jobs and that means we need to force an E-verify system on companies that hire undocumented workers and ship the illegals back to thier country.
    Just for the sake of argument, who will then pick most of our crops, and work the other nasty jobs that Americans don't deign to do for themselves any more?

Just for the sake of argument, who will then pick most of our crops, and work the other nasty jobs that Americans don't deign to do for themselves any more?
    Those who insist on being leaches on the system. They want welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, etc they can pick crops or starve.

Those who insist on being leaches on the system. They want welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, etc they can pick crops or starve.

Sheer genius! We can create a slave class out of the deplorables!

Wrong deplorables (according to hildabeast). Both society and those who commit crimes might benefit from the Chinese punishment system. AKA Walmart product makers. Their policy is basically Work or die. We are beyond stupid to literally reward our convicted criminals who do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    Wrong deplorables.
    No, there's a considerable overlap.

Works for me. Better than leach class that robs houses.

In all seriousness only a Liberal would equate having to work for government handouts or whatever you have to being a slave. They wouldn't be slaves. They would have a choice. Don't work then don't eat.

Works for me. Better than leach class that robs houses.

In all seriousness only a Liberal would equate having to work for government handouts or whatever you have to being a slave. They wouldn't be slaves. They would have a choice. Don't work then don't eat.

Liberal. So, what will that do to the crime rate that started this whole discussion? Sure a s*** not going to help it.

Traditionally crops, especially in California, were harvested by seasonal migrant workers. They used to go back to Mexico after the harvest season and them come back the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by plmadding View Post
    Traditionally crops, especially in California, were harvested by seasonal migrant workers. They used to go back to Mexico after the harvest season and them come back the next season.
    Now they stay bring extended families and take jobs both on and off books. Many pay no tax and collect wages in cash and get all the gov't handouts and free medical care. Say one word against them and you are a racist.

Ding, ding, ding -we have 2 winners - last 2 replies

Off topic, but here are my thoughts.

Higher paid Americans will pick the crops and do the nasty jobs at higher pay or we can bring in migrant workers legally for the seasons as we did in the past. Those were called "braceros" and they did legal fruit and vegetable work all over, then went home.

The biggest losers to illegal immigration are young and poor Americans looking for entry level work, particularly in cities. It is much cheaper for a restaurant or other low pay job to hire illegals who get no government SS withholding, unemployment insurance paymentsto state or tax withholding and who can't sue their employers. If I hire a legal and then fire her, I must pay the state 1 1/2 times hers salary for a long, long time. It is pretty well hopeless for a young unskilled legal American to get a low-end entry job in much of the country as these are taken by illegals much cheaper.

I live in CA where the union now controls the crop work of the Salinas Valley and the quality of these people's lives in the last 20nyears is vastly improved -nice cars, toilets in the fields, clean, well-clothed kids. They are Hispanic Americans and no non-union, undocumented worker gets near their fields! Scab labor, not there.

I am not a big union guy, but after Chavez the price of grapes, vegetables, lettuce and union strawberries went up a little and thousands of workers lives got a lot better, not to mention that only Americans work those fields. Cleaning chicken guts? Nasty job, but Americans did it for centuries for whatever the market pay was, until somebody showed up to do it cheaper. We need skilled workers from all over the world to fill the jobs we really need, not just whoever can sneak over a border illegally.

I live where half the folks are illegal -the crime and traffic accidents and other problems would discourage most who saw it up close. Most of them are fine folks just looking for a better life, but a lot are criminals over here as a safe haven in our "Sanctuary state" of CA.

A country without borders is not a country.

QUOTE=Pointyears;6751002]Just for the sake of argument, who will then pick most of our crops, and work the other nasty jobs that Americans don't deign to do for themselves any more?[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Stalin's Ghost; Yesterday at 09:16 PM.

If i were an insurer why would i want to provide affordable home, theft or other coverage to a state which embraces crime and criminals. Ultimately premiums will be increased and/or coverage decreased to point where it is useless. Since lenders require insurance on mortgages, car loans etc. could be interesting.

What are the five most rare Mosins in your collection?
    What are the five most rare Mausers in your collection?
    What are the five most rare ????? in your collection?
    Who got the XYZ gun that was up on, pick an auction site?
    Typically followed up with pictures, descriptions etc from those only too eager to share. Not sure what use those questions are other than to foster some sort of camaraderie or inclusion. Nothing wrong with those innocently enough appearing questions either. However, as I see it, and no offense or pointing fingers to those who pose those questions. But they sure would/could set up a laundry list for those so inclined to do bad things. It is the internet, where no one really knows who's on the other end of the keyboard or what intentions people have that we don't know, or, who we think we know. Really sucks too 'cause it takes some part of the fun out of this great hobby and the people we communicate with on the internet.

Be careful of what you post. Know who it really is you're talking to outside of this and other websites. I'm not sure, but I don't think there's a website/forum where movie stars and well known musicians post pictures of the latest multi million dollar necklace or watch they bought. Although their security is more than likely, far and away, better than what many of us could possess.

Sorry about your loss Phatu, deeply troubling when what we have in our homes can all too soon be removed by some low life thug looking for some quick cash just so they can catch a buzz.

Get the better safe, buy the bigger dog, install the best security system you can and remain vigilant. And in the end, we'll be lucky if it's enough.

Best of luck to you Pahtu in getting your belongings returned.

RustyFuryIII

This idea is bound to be unpopular, especially in Socialist California. Why not build more prisons? I don't give a fig about hard time in prison for people who break the law and need to be removed from society. CA is a great place but the majority of voters are willfully ignorant, idealistic idiots. I have dealt with silicon valley companies and major universities there in my career as a research academician but wouldn't care to live in Governor Moonbeam's utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Boehmerwald View Post
    This idea is bound to be unpopular, especially in Socialist California. Why not build more prisons? I don't give a fig about hard time in prison for people who break the law and need to be removed from society. CA is a great place but the majority of voters are willfully ignorant, idealistic idiots. I have dealt with silicon valley companies and major universities there in my career as a research academician but wouldn't care to live in Governor Moonbeam's utopia.
    The scary truth is the baddies know real law enforcement is about useless and government knows can do whatever they want without opposition

Long sentences just make for more violence. Just like those over populated rat communities in college corses, that will happen. It just creates more predaters to get out at some later time and hurt someone else. Give them a sentence for real crimes. Zero tolerence sentences only mean that it is easier to get convictions, some who aren't even guilty as charged. The one thing that DNA taught us is that many are sentenced because of aggressive DAs and juries that believe any government worker.
    The innocent go down swinging, why should they pead guilty to something they did not do? The courts will even give time served for a guilty plea, because they don't want the guy coming back later with a false arrest and confinement lawsuit. Many that are offered parole do not take it because they have to admit to something they did not do.

American justice means that want to be politicans will put just anyone in jail to close a case - this is not right. Most that are in are there because they did do it as prosecuted, but others who don't want to put loved ones in jail or that are scared to turn on someone, or just can not get there, end up in jail and the real bad guys go free.

We should put them in for a decent time and then tell them they have to leave the state on the trheat of a much longer sentence. Many were dumped on Ca and still are - dump them right back where they came from. People that are not here legally should do thier time in private contract prisons in thier own countries, run like our prisons are here, but with local personel - no conjugal visits, no party visiting time, no drugs, prostitutes, booze.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345