I got burglarized! - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I got burglarized!

Like everyone else, I feel for you ... Nothing worse than that sick feeling you get knowing something like that has happened. For me, Obtaining a security system was priority one. I will not share the name of the company I use but not only is my whole house covered but I've got a second system that monitors the shop (which is a separate building on my property. Everything is hooked through a cellular system and utilizes "several" day/night cameras. Both systems can be, and are, monitored by an app on my cell phone. My wife also has access. Both systems can be remotely armed and disarmed. Having this system gave us a break on our home owners policy but you need to add a rider to that policy if you want collections such as firearms to be covered for replacement values. Good luck recovering your stolen goods.

T.O.M.
    GCA Member, NRA Life Member

I sincerely regret that a gentleman such as you has been wronged in this way. Bad cess to them.

sorry to hear this my friend. like others have said here looks like an inside job i mean to come with those type of tools and have the time they spent there must have know a time frame of when you were gone and how long. sure hope you get them back and they go to jail. best to you.
    "Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession."

-George Washington 1732-1799

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    +1 on German shepherd. I remove the bolts from the rifles and secure them elsewhere. And it goes without saying to maintain a detailed inventory.
    Only thing better than 1 German Shepard is the 2 100 pound ones I have. They hate strangers!!!!!!!

I hate to hear this Gary, hope they are caught and you recover your firearms.

I use a combination of fireproof gun safes, home alarm system, and firearm insurance through the NRA.
    "The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

Oh, that's awfull. I'm so sorry for you. Hopefully the police will catch those scumbags and you will recover stolen items.

I hate to hear this . Chances are it was someone who has seen your collection and knew how much the rifles were worth and where they were. Nobody is gonna steal a bunch of nagants and sell them on the street. My first mind tells me another collector probably knew what you had and sent in a group of guys to steal the rifles people do some evil things to get what they want never underestimate anyone............ever .Thieves get on facebook and gun forums looking for targets. Gotta be discreet and private about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    +1 on German shepherd. I remove the bolts from the rifles and secure them elsewhere. And it goes without saying to maintain a detailed inventory.
    Same here with the bolts.

So sorry to hear this Pahtu. Simplisafe is a pretty good system. All wireless so cutting phone lines is useless and even destroying the base station after it's triggered does not stop the alert.
    I sure hope they catch them soon and can recover your things.
    A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.
    - Albert Einstein

Sorry to hear about the break-in. Hope they catch the J_ _ _ K A _ _ and you get your belongings back.

I've used several different companies over the past decade. They are all pretty much the same as service offered and I can tell you if the alarm trips and the person who tripped does not clear the alarm within the time frame you allowed, they will call and ask the person answering the pass word. Wrong answer and the police are called. My neighbor was watching our pets while we were gone for a week - he forgot the code - I got a call within 1 minute of his wrong answer and that's with his name on their contact list. I don't have video (yet), but I have alarms on all points of entry and all the windows. Have "Security" signs in the front and back of the house along with motion/infared sensors on high intensity lights in the back of the house and at the front door. Motion/Infared sensore inside that cover a large area that will pick-up anything that enters the covered area from the bedrooms, laundry room, etc. Since I also live in a hurricane area, I also changed the windows on the blind side of my house to High Impact Hurricane Windows that are rated for a Class 3+ Hurricane. The bonus with those is that the are pretty impervious to burglar type entry - you can hit them with a ball bat and not go through the glass. I also hardened the glass around the front door to the same level. None of these "improvements" were very costly and they helped reduce my Home Owners Insurance costs.

I have had a Browning Pro series safe for about 30 years. S&G dial lock and a feature that if they smash the lock off the front, it shears pins on the retraction handle that prevent the bolts from retracting. My newest safe is a Liberty. Both are rated at 1 hour for fire. Don't remember the forced entry rating. Both are lag bolted to the concrete floor inside the safe so they just can't cart them off with a heavy dutyt hand truck.

Lots of Cameras, steel doors and frames, long toung sledge key entry inside or out side entry locks with reinforced hinges, each bed room the same requiring breaking in out side each room.
    Heavy Safes bolted together and to main floor beams.....two police live next door and three house up street.
    My dogs, dope dogs next door.....two very nosie nebors that's stay up all night sleep to noon.
    Cross's on all doors Windows just to show my back up!
    Officer next door there all day over lapping my job time other Office home in evening both long term friends !
    Out side alarm bell type loud....I don't travel away from home with out alerting neborhood hillbilly watch system.
    Lucky I have been blessed....sorry for your loss, and invasion>< dan

BE CAREFUL!!!! They might be back because they know they left some loot. Happened to my family in the 70's. We went out of country for 2 months, got robbed, neighbors boarded the door up after the cops left, thugs came back a few days later to grab bionoculars and some other stuff they left.

Gary,

Sorry to hear this news; hope they catch the scum quick!

Eric
    Looking for PU scope number 10062. See post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...light=pashutr3

Sorry to hear about it Pahtu! It's a fear most of us have. Cameras and deterants are helpful. Insurance riders and some like the NRA backed insurance are good to have for us collectors. Probably been said before, but many homeowner insurance policy's limit or exclude firearms without a specific rider.

again, hope you recover them. Hope you recover your peace of mind within your home. Been there.

best,

I can't imagine how you feel. A security upgrade is in order.

This is why I don't post many pics. Please don't take this the wrong way but.... Unfortunately, I'm thinking your beautiful photography may have contributed to this situation.
    Looking for PU scope # Б05115

Default Sorry to Hear that !

My security system for the last 35 years has been a large German Shepard-- I am on my third or fourth one, because they usually live for nearly 15 years under my care-- All of my animals have been king of the house, so if they don't know you , you will be attacked-- The current one sometimes gets a little weird when one of my grown children come home in their uniforms, so he gets crazy until he hears their voice. When my first dog had to be put down when he was nearly 15 years old, I was almost burgled-- I came home mid day on a Sunday after a gun show and my outer front door was locked, and it never was-- So i walk around to the back door,and the back door is unlocked- i go inside and walk to the front door and noticed a few things, someone had been smoking in my house,and a bunch of my stuff was stacked up by the front door-- So i lucked out 15 minutes later and a pile of expensive stuff would have been gone , got another puppy and all has been fine since--You can also get some stickers from alarm companies and put them on your windows and doors--

Quote Originally Posted by PAshutr3 View Post
    Gary,

Sorry to hear this news; hope they catch the scum quick!

Eric

Find a local security pro to come in and provide a solution. They will have experience with this and will know what you need. While the self installed systems are good you may not think of something or position a sensor in the wrong place. The wireless systems are ok but I hate replacing batteries in devices and eventually you will forget or get tired of it. There are also outdoor sensors that will trip if someone comes up to the house. You can have cameras in tamper proof boxes and if they are messed with the alarm will trip.

Finestkind

Do to the fact that they came so well equipped to break into your safes it seems to me that they knew you had guns in the house therefore they either knew you personally or knew people that knew you and they told them what you had. I would notify all the local pawn and gun shops in the area in person with a list of the guns that were stolen. Many times this has led to break in the case. Of course they could dump the guns at a gun show also which leaves little chance of ever getting them back. Since second hand gun sales are not vetted at many Gun Shows it makes it very easy to dump there with little chance of being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by bph9 View Post
    Of course they could dump the guns at a gun show also which leaves little chance of ever getting them back. Since second hand gun sales are not vetted at many Gun Shows it makes it very easy to dump there with little chance of being caught.
    Which is why he should also post a list of guns with s/n's here, too.

My advice to you is to invest in a Sturdy Safe. They are, by far, the best gun safes available. Personally, I don't feel a need for a security system because my current apartment is more or less burglar-proof. Fourth (top) floor, with a steel deadbolted door and no windows facing the landing. Only way in without everyone in the building hearing you is via a grappling hook. It's way too hard a target for a common thief.

Default Leaving a personal note for thieves:

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    Been down this road and it is the most frustrating feeling I have ever endured! You feel violated and mad beyond belief but really all you can do is learn from it. As someone said all you can do is realize there is no real way to stop a determined thief, but you sure can make him work hard and slow him down a bit.

What ever kind of system you get make sure you have some kind of backup electric supply for the system as we had a rash of break-ins around here where they cut the electric a couple of days before and came back after the batteries were dead in the backup system. Every system has failings but as someone said multiple layers will help. If you put some kind of system in with a gas or possible positive defense force be careful you aren't violating local or state laws using it. As we all know criminals have more rights than we do these days. It is not possible to feel completely safe but you have to get close to it if possible.

Feel bad for you Pahtu but no amount of my words can make a difference I know! I went through this and it just plain stinks! Let us know serials and maybe unlike Vic we will find some of them. Bill

In addition to previous ideas, defenses repeated and changed at random, we post a note to the would-be thieves along the lines of the famous quote from Brian in TAKEN: "If you leave now that will be the end of it, but if you do not, we assume you are sent here to assassinate us, and will respond... not like a burglary. We have background in Military, Police and Intelligence and know there are those who seriously wish us ill. So this is not a place to do minor level crime. Turn around and go or be responsible for what happens to you and your friends and family members."

I use the Walther PPQ M2 45, that's my security system. I carry it everywhere.

+1 on the SimpliSafe system. Easy to install, access from smartphone. I've been real happy with the system!

A few years back I picked up some pepper spray canisters which are held in a holder with a spring that when a trip wire pulls a pin they will fill a 200 sq.ft. room with pepper spray in 6-8 seconds. I made the mistake of triggering one once and couldn't use the basement family room for a week and it took me months to clean up the residue. Very effective!

There are several very good surveillance systems on Amazon which for about $300 you can have 4-6 cameras that have hard drive storage for a few weeks worth of video and can on motion detection will load up video to the cloud and send you an email to view. This along with a good system from Simply Safe $15/mo and $400 will do a great job. You can cover all your windows or if you don't have pets you can use motion detectors.

I have been installing burglar alarms for 3+ decades and Simply safe sounds like a good system with wireless communication to their central station. That is the weak point with most alarms with an analog phone line that canbe cut from outside. If you rely on internet for alarm transmission or video monitoring the modem or router must be battery backed up! All alarm systems have this but the internet side of the system is often neglected. The alarm control panel can go 24 hours on power failure or power cut ( from outside), but it doesnt do you any good if the communication side is dead.

Oh Pahtu, I am sick that this happened to you!
    One of my worst nightmares...
    Remember-Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.

Hate that for you. Had similar experience in 2010. They got my bring back Luger and lots of other stuff. Didn't have a system then and had not recorded serial number of Luger. Have great insurance and was able to replace everything and had a little extra cash left over. Got $2600 for the Luger alone.
    I use SafeTouch now and have everything recorded and photographed. If you choose to use the feature, SafeTouch offers GeoFencing so you can never forget to turn on your alarm unless you forget your phone. BTW, the system has its own 3G cellphone incorporated. You can get cameras, too.

Wow brother. That sucks. Find the punks, and find the guns.

Thanks all for the encouragement and kind words. I have some of the serials, the ones I have are posted pics here on the forum, sadly....not all the serials were recorded....going to change that soon.

I will look into much of your advice and do some shopping around....quickly....

The gremlins cut the barbwire by my place, cut the 6' high fence in two places to get through. I two have locked chained gates, one 6' tall - Every nook and crannie where you could hide anything....they tossed and looked.....they had time and knew it. I am not done cleaning up the mess & am still discovering misc things they stole. They left my bolted down RCBS press, but got the MEC 600 JR and the 20 Lee Load all....& much of my reloading supplies...

Almost like the Grinch.....these guys truly wanted to take it all....they even polished off a cheap bottle of wine.....

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalin's Ghost View Post
    Very sorry to hear of this.

There is a tear gas bomb available that goes off when a string is pulled and fills the room with gas. It is advertised in several firearms publications - I will try to find it for you.

Sounds like they knew you, or of you. Friends of kids? Cleaning lady's boyfriend? Neighborhood crackhead?

Hope the cops got prints and you tell all gun stores and pawn shops for 50 miles around - print up a circular with pictures and serial numbers for all the stores.

Another option is a trail camera or two, plus loud alarms (and the tear gas bomb.)
    Screw the tear gas, get some claymores!

Make that a photographic inventory, to go with the written inventory. Photograph the serial numbers and any other identifiers a gun may have, including dings and dents. AND, bite the bullet and get yourself a decent gun safe or two, the stronger and heavier the better, and bolt them to the floor.

One time I was contacted by home owner about making modifications to his home. His 2 car garage space had already been converted to heated living space. When I walked into this area of the home I saw 2 tiers of guns (one above the other) on all the walls. He had the proverbial coffee table with coffee table book on it. He pointed to the dust cover of the book and the gun on its cover and then pointed to that same gun on one of the upper shelves.
    None as I recall were military surplus. They were black powder type firearms (as I recall) He even had walking canes with a trigger that could be fired as a gun.
    Later he was hit. The place was cleaned out entirely. He later told me that the police knew who did it but didn't have enough evidence to make an arrest.
    Fast forward several years later now it was my turn to get hit. At the time I was not a gun collector but... I got hit again so I did get an alarm system installed. Later on I had the system up graded to detect fire and flooding. The good news is that like TV sets the price of electronic devices is always going down not up.
    The advice to have an alarm expert spec your system is good advice to make sure all avenues are covered.
    I hate to say it but based on what happen as described in my first paragraph, I never discuss my collection per se. If the question comes up I politely say more than I need but not as many as I want. I also explain the matter by saying I would never ask how much cash you keep on hand.
    Other advice: My car and home are sticker free... no NRA... insured by Smith & Wesson...no military stickers either.
    Its really a shame that it has to be this way but I am afraid that the persons breaking in will sell my guns to other criminals
    or use my guns himself, thus compounding the nature of the crime.
    I may be speaking out of turn here I think I have read that stolen items get fenced for about 10 cents on a dollar?
    Unless you live in a rural area with only one way in and out it is difficult for me to envision how to have the place secured. Yes a dog would probably work but what do you do with the dog when you go on vacation for more than a few days.
    In my case the windows in the rear of the home were smashed to gain entry. Then the thief just unlocked the doors from the inside.I have since resorted to using the type of dead bolt locks that need a key to open from either side on every door in the home (exterior and interior)! This is not the safest situation if a fire breaks out so I keep those door keys right next to the door while I am in the house. I hope this helps but remember everybody's security issues will vary depending on the site particulars.
    After a break in, of your home or your bed room there will be the other mental consequences of feelings of having been violated.
    I really do hate these learning experiences of life that its just not safe to talk about our collections.

Sorry to hear about your break-in. Before trying to rebuild a collection, go buy the biggest, heaviest floor safe you can afford. Watch for sales around holidays or Christmas. I bought a 20 gun safe years ago and wish I had bought one of those 36 gun monsters. Or a couple of 20s.

We have no problem spending money on guns. But have a heart attack when we contemplate spending $1 to $2k on a floor safe. Or a couple of safes. Yes, you cannot shoot a safe. But you also can no longer admire or shoot a gun you no longer have.

A buddy of mine, and a couple of his closest neighbors, who all work for a living and live in a very rural area, all got burgled a couple of weeks ago, all on the same day. On the very same day. The perps only took all the really the good stuff. Stuff they could readily turn in to drug money. The sickos are getting smart.

I really like the burglarbomb concept. Just don't forget about it when you go into your mancave. ;-)
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil. And evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.

Col. Jeff Cooper

As has been mentioned, it is not uncommon for thieves to wait a couple of weeks for insurance money to replace the stolen items. Then they come back and steal brand new stuff.

To the OP, you show your location as "
    The dry side of WA State
    " I am curious what two punks would get there if caught and convicted. I am on the other (North) side of the 49th parallel and I sadly think that the thieves would get minimal sentences and might even not see the inside of a penitentiary.

I always enjoy your posts. I'm really sorry to hear that, perhaps they won't survive their next nefarious excursion.

It might not fit your situation but I live in a rural area on a dead end road and I make it a point to flag down every vehicle or pedestrian I don't recognize "just to visit" with them. My neighbors do the same, so there's kind of a general knowledge among folks that if you come down our road you're probably not going to get back out without talking to somebody that seems overly interested in how your day's going. It's kind of like a cross between Mayberry and Deliverance. Have break ins pretty often on other roads in our area but not on ours so far (knock on wood).

Again I sure hate to hear about thieves that walk away and I feel for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    Thanks all for the encouragement and kind words. I have some of the serials, the ones I have are posted pics here on the forum, sadly....not all the serials were recorded....going to change that soon.

The gremlins cut the barbwire by my place, cut the 6' high fence in two places to get through. I two have locked chained gates, one 6' tall - Every nook and crannie where you could hide anything....they tossed and looked.....they had time and knew it. I am not done cleaning up the mess & am still discovering misc things they stole. They left my bolted down RCBS press, but got the MEC 600 JR and the 20 Lee Load all....& much of my reloading supplies...

Almost like the Grinch.....these guys truly wanted to take it all....they even polished off a cheap bottle of wine.....

Pahtu.
    Seriously though...all the reloading supplies, etc they are welcome to (as far as I am concerned). That stuff is all replaceable.
    It is the guns, especially the rarer pieces, that can't be replaced.

This thread has inspired me to call up a friend who does alarm systems and have him wire me up. Hope you get justice OP.

I feel real sorry for you Pahtu!!!
    Last edited by kh; 04-14-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    KH
    please help me with my Polish, Hungarian and Romanian MN-datasheet, click here:
    http://www.gunboards.com/form.asp

If your going to purchase a security camera system for your home and possibly do the install yourself remember one thing EYE/FACE LEVEL for cameras in several places both inside and outside the home. Think about all the news you have watched and all they show on the "convenience store hold up is the tops of the caps or head and not a face. If you cannot see teeth and dimples you cannot identify. If you cannot identify they walk. Twenty five years behind the badge and I told every store manger this same thing, tops of ball caps and bald heads do not ID for court purposes the bad guy. Move your cameras off the ceiling and down to the middle walls.
    Remember the camera systems out there for sale inexpensively are cheap for a reason.
    1. Newer versions have taken their place with better options and many have NO replacement parts. They are all made overseas today !
    2. images are not that clear in some cameras and many are still offered in only blk and white.
    3. The night viewing cameras are average at best and that is only out to about 35 feet. Again outside ya need to see faces and be able to see the smiles and chins. (lights outside too)
    4. THE BIGGEE....Many of the lessor priced systems will not work with modern smartphones that have the most recent updates in them, make 100% sure whatever your going to buy works on your phone.
    5. For a very good system to record in High Def. (HD) and have color with at least a pair of good night viewing cameras your going to spend about $2,000.00.

Going to a security company and having them install cameras and have off site hard drives and lots of storage will not be cheap either. BUT-----here's the catch on a company, some will let you see on your phone what's going on , and lastly do you want strangers to be able to peek into your house when your at home and the system is supposed to be off or not on in a certain area...Momma might not care to have cameras blinking while she is nude or your girlfriend for that matter.
    Look hard and long, get educated on all of it before you dive in. Some work super and have a monthly fee, some work great and cost you only a Wi-Fi connection to get you updates as thing happen. Just don't go cheap and have it happen again and learn your brand new 800 buck system failed you....
    If your in an area where your a ways off from a neighbor put in a very loud, screaming loud, speaker on door and window alarms. Scare your cats for weeks and makes your dogs run for cover. You can bet your bad guys wont hang around long either. Just let your neighbor know if goes off to call the sheriff and tell them a burglary is in progress.
    Cutting the power to your home or just opening your power box and pulling the main switch can stop all of your systems in place as well. Make sure whatever you have has the ability to continue on for a while on supplemental power 12 volt or similar.
    Lastly. If you keep your hard drive in the house or on the property make sure it stays locked and securely out of sight. Well vented for cooling tho but locked up. Be ashamed to have all this happen again and learn your security hard drive system cameras hard drive was taken too.
    Good Luck in the choosing of your security and sorry to read it has happened again....

Quote Originally Posted by kh View Post
    I feel real sorry for you Pahtu!!!
    I'm really sorry for you too, you have been posting here for many years. Your contribution to this forum has led to its success.

211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

"Too soon oldt, too late smardt."
    -- "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry. (Shakespeare was right!)

-- The Law IS the law -- Unless You ARE The Law.

So sorry to hear of this, Gary.

I think what serial #'s you had need spreading far and wide.
    A local shop was robbed near here some years ago and handguns stolen (Alberta) and within 2 days showed up in Toronto. If organised, they won't turn up close at hand.

Well, family is in the Tri-Cities, sorry this happened to you! My brother was broken into years ago, couple rifles, couple pistols stolen - very irritating - his daughters friends...

I keep a PO box so less folks know I collect, but have thought of ending it. when I buy, It gets shipped to the house - ebay - depends on where they live.

I have stuff out and two safes. I have bought two sets of cameras from amazon, can't get either to work right. Have 2-3 dogs as deterents, work from home. The real deal, besides burying in your backyard (WTF) is to make a complete room that is a safe. Larger than a closet - walls and doors need to be reinforced. No good to have strong door that can be jimmied open.
    leave some stuff out to include some defensive guns and the expensive stuff lock away.
    dogs, cameras, (I think I'll buy some more animal cams, we have one, but a couple of low range ones would be good), alarm system if useful.
    Ánd minimize who you tell, but in day-to-day, some furnance guy comes by and says, wow you have a flintlock rifle, what else....

or the real friend who just blabs to the wrong persons, person....
    Edward Tinker
    Co-Author of Police Lugers
    Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I - Vol II - VOL III / Collections of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
    Co-Author of Simson Lugers

Have all books available for purchase

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

Pahtu.
    That might be the best clue to who may have stolen your gear. Get the cops to dust it down for prints. I hope you have someone willing to do that for you.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

My question to you guys is....What home security system do you use?
    I use Frontpoint. I researched multiple companies and they seemed to offer the best features and cost at the time. Outside the initial equipment, it cost me about $44 a month for monitoring. I can check the status and turn the system and off via cell phone if needed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast