I got burglarized! - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I got burglarized!

I read in one comment " a sturdy deadbolt". There is no such thing unless it's coupled with a commercial strong steel door and frame, not those Sears steel doors.
    Anything less and that boot print on your door will tell you how "sturdy" it really was. Your 5 pin deadbolt lock is to keep knob turners out, that's it. Virtually anyone can google and buy a lock pick kit and with a bit of practice pick your lock. Only locks such as Primus (and other HS) locks prevent picking.
    And after I wrote all of that a door is only as good as a window. Slowing the crooks down is the key. As others wrote good security is multiple deterrents coupled together.
    For commercial steel buildings crooks use cordless sawsalls and cut their own door through a wall avoiding locks and security devices at exits.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
    ...snip... or the real friend who just blabs to the wrong persons, person....
    THIS!

Very sorry to hear about that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I have dog ,alarms, and safes. Sadly most burglaries is done by people or friends of the people you know. Your burglary sounds planned as no one carrys a slege hammer around. JMO
    Addicted to guns and want them all before I die.

Default Tear Gas

Quote Originally Posted by Stalin's Ghost View Post
    The defensive tear gas bomb I mentioned comes from burglarbomb.com. It resembles Viet Cong IED trigger technology, but neater looking, spraying pressurized tear gas that can't be stopped once started.

It is a clever legal trap device that releases a spray of gas when tripped, driving everybody out of the house for a few hours. Cool device -I have one on one of my glass gun cases guarding my m27rv and similar valuable rifles that I really like to look at. Not what you want the kids to play with!

I also lock a line of racked less valuable rifles with heavy stainless steel yacht braid cable through trigger guards linked to big eye screws in the wall. Only a high speed grinder can cut it, not a bolt cutter or wire cutter or even a hacksaw in any normal amount of time.

I have ADT but they are far away, as is the sheriff. My dogs, numerous cars in the driveway, a TV left on and and my odd hours back and forth may help, as will the CCW gun I have.
    Don't think my Boston Terrier would go for that!

And this is a scary sight I saw online about a year ago...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cut open safe.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	2136698

Sorry to hear this! I have my collection behind three layers of cameras and flood lights, a 6 foot high fence guarded by two dogs that bark a lot, two sets of hardened locks on the fence, then they are in a locked building in a large fireproof safe bolted to the floor. Would be a tough endeavor for a thief to get to my collection. Plus two police officers live across the street and they also have surveillance cameras with one pointing at my house.

So sorry to read about this. Some rethinking going on here now. Not much more to add... I hate thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by brcampbe View Post
    Sorry to hear this! I have my collection behind three layers of cameras and flood lights, a 6 foot high fence guarded by two dogs that bark a lot, two sets of hardened locks on the fence, then they are in a locked building in a large fireproof safe bolted to the floor. Would be a tough endeavor for a thief to get to my collection. Plus two police officers live across the street and they also have surveillance cameras with one pointing at my house.
    You might think about adding a moat around it as well

Might be the time to get some big, vicious, well trained K9's as well as a good electronic alarm system. Surveillance cameras would be advisable too.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dubtap21; 04-16-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Sorry to hear this!

Again, dogs, alarms, cameras, good safes and insurance (Collectibles Insurance LLC is great).

Although I do hope someone tries to break in while I have my C&R full auto Suomi out and in hand.

If they came equipped with sledge hammers and grinders those are safe cracker tools. I would say you were targeted. Some how directly or indirectly it has gotten out that you have a collection of firearms. There was video a couple of years ago I saw on the Internet showing how a well known safe brand/manufacture could be opened in about twenty minutes using a simple fireman's ax coming in from the side.

They may well return or talk to others who want to take their shot at it. That happened to my brother-in-law who lives in a rural area. The second time he was ready and held them at gun point for 30 minutes until the deputy sheriff should up.

Best thing you can get is a angry/big loud barking dog.

Sorry to hear that....you lose a sense of security that is hard to ever get back after something like this,burglary is a very serious matter that is taken far to lightly by the authorities.

While I am not computer savvy at all, I have seen a lot of photos in this site, and others, that were taken with smartphones. Here is what I have learned about smartphones and the cameras attached to them....With some software, if you right click on the photo with your mouse, and look at the 'properties' of the photo, you can get the GPS co-ordinates of where that photo was taken. I don't know how to do it, but I have seen it done. I posted some pictures a few years ago and my son in law (who's a computer geek) showed me why that is not a good idea. He clicked on my photo, and in a few seconds google earth showed him right where it was taken (MY BACKYARD).

Gary this is the pits. Hopefully they find that scum.
    Now I'm going to have to clean that rifle!!

Truly sorry to read about this Gary. Denny

Quote Originally Posted by badash5946 View Post
    And this is a scary sight I saw online about a year ago...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cut open safe.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	2136698
    Browning safe has thin laminate door, just appears thick, not solid plate.That's why a commercial safe is best.

BTW Don't take and post pics from your cell phone. Most Cells will use geotagging unless you turn it off. Geotagging will include location coordinates with the image. These can tell someone what you have.

Finestkind

So sorry to hear this. If you post up the serial numbers/any pics you may have of them I'll keep my eyes out for them here in Montana.

BB91 is offline Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords

Sad! Very sorry it happened to you. Makes me want to sell the whole shebang. Is it really worth the headache? I think not.

Basturdos! be sure to post any pics/serial numbers...I'll keep a watch here in Southern Idaho.
    Some of your items should stand out rather well if they show up at our plain-old gunshow circuit....haven't seen anything new for quite a while....
    Cheapdad

One thing no one has mentioned that will keep the "door knob turners" away is geese. Several of them. I guess you should live in the country though. They'll stay close to home and as they get older, they can get pretty mean. A settin mother can get pretty mean also. If you're familiar with them, you'll know that all you have to do is grab them by the neck and shake them a little and they'll leave. Still, they'll attack a car and keep the stranger inside of it. That plus they will squawk and raise all sorts of cain. Back when I was a kid and had never run into any of them, they got me pretty good on the leg. It hurt. My wife is scared to death of them. She won't let me get any.

Getting my internet stuff moved to my other house, posting numbers will be sometime this weekend, out of the twelve or so rifles missing, probably only have three or four serials to share.....did not get around to taking pictures of all my Finn Captured 91-30s since....I purchased many of them....years ago....

Got a 6' high fence around my place, they cut through it in two places, got two heavily chained(tempered steel 1/2" chains around the two gates to the driveway) with hocky puck lucks that are hard to mess with, dogs are usually shot or poisoned around here by bad guys, glad my old Australian shepard was not home at the time, I have metal shop skills, can get into any safe.....quickly if needed....with the right skills.....and tools....no easy answer, for sure loose lips sinks ships.....and this could have been a random burglary, I bet it was not.

I had a security guy out to the house, will have a system up and running soon.

Pahtu.

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Browning safe has thin laminate door, just appears thick, not solid plate.That's why a commercial safe is best.
    Looks like a cutting torch was used. I would think even a commercial safe would be no match for a torch.

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you get your stuff back. Don't rely just on the police, you should make the rounds of the pawn shops yourself.

So sorry to hear this. I can't even imagine. Hopefully they catch the guys and find your stuff!
    Currently In Search Of: Rare/Interesting/Oddball Finnish (or Finn'd Russian) M/91s and M/91-24s.

In Honor and Memory of a Loving and Devoted Wife

I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free. His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches me.

Frontpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should of had one of these. After being reminded of this the other day I had one installed in my safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyh0bG7FWJg

Quote Originally Posted by BB91 View Post
    Sad! Very sorry it happened to you. Makes me want to sell the whole shebang. Is it really worth the headache? I think not.

Boy, that idea flashed through my mind, way less headache if all my collection were liquidated.....seriously considering just that idea.

Pahtu.

Question

Not crack heads too much planning work and follow through.....

Plans to despose thought out too?
    imagine will not despising locally too smart....!

Maybe out of state just over line or far out county as not to bring heat were they live.

Maybe letting a visiting relative or friend do the desposal work while they stay put learking staying in their patterns.

a lot of ground work patterning put in your timely movements, organizing tools, and work to be done.
    these guys must be or were physical Labors ( maybe scrap yard, mechanics or once trained in military labor, vocational school?

still in almost proper mental shape to approach a job like this with confidence!

My Aphomoric patterns and deductions..with out all facts....happens locally at times.

They maybe in a subset of one of your over lapping traveling patterns locally.....(.gunshop, garage, shooting range, Lowes , etc) know you collect by ghosip or barbershop like conversations <><Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I read in one comment " a sturdy deadbolt". There is no such thing unless it's coupled with a commercial strong steel door and frame, not those Sears steel doors.
    Anything less and that boot print on your door will tell you how "sturdy" it really was. Your 5 pin deadbolt lock is to keep knob turners out, that's it. Virtually anyone can google and buy a lock pick kit and with a bit of practice pick your lock. Only locks such as Primus (and other HS) locks prevent picking.
    And after I wrote all of that a door is only as good as a window. Slowing the crooks down is the key. As others wrote good security is multiple deterrents coupled together.
    For commercial steel buildings crooks use cordless sawsalls and cut their own door through a wall avoiding locks and security devices at exits.
    It is impossible to make a house secure at any reasonable cost and safes can usually be broken or hauled away for later breaking. Plus about 2/3 of all losses are due to fires or floods. Use an alarm service plus insurance or rely on the insurance if you don't have a serious emotional attachment to your collection.

For myself I enjoy the searching, buying, selling, horsetrading, restoring more than just owning the guns, so I just have a few flimsy cabinets good only for stopping kids from fiddling with the firearms plus a good insurance policy. Unless you have nothing but a few modern guns you need a policy designed for collectors and not the typical homeowner's rider.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

Manny and Mo, the 2 trained Rottweillers you get from a security guy. Once the burglers meet Manny, they don't want no Mo.

A friend of mine on the West Coast had several handguns stolen. Ten days or so later one of them was recovered from a fast food hold up in Florida. I would think rifles would stay in the same general region.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    Boy, that idea flashed through my mind, way less headache if all my collection were liquidated.....seriously considering just that idea.

Pahtu.
    No more Classic Pahtu photo masterpieces. The end of an era...

There seems to be a sharp rise in rural break in's all over the country lately. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I have very much enjoyed your postings of your firearms over the years.

It would be difficult to bear the idea that someone violated my home like that, regardless of the monetary loss. With a little luck a gun, that will identify the culprits, will come to light and you can recover at least part of your collection. It was probably a blessing that you did not drive up as they were loading up.

In Florida, the FDLE maintains a firearm database, that is searchable, on line, by anyone. We have the ability to plug in a serial number to check the status of any used firearm we intend to buy to see if any law enforcement organization in the sate is interested in a particular weapon. It makes the trade in stolen firearms a little more dangerous for the thieves.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

frown

Another reason why I rarely post pictures, and never do so from home. The technology is rapidly advancing, edge goes to the crooked and the criminal, who are much more clever than I ever will be.

Sorry this happened to you, brother. Been there myself, it's an awful feeling.

The local police may not be a lot of help, but if you have a C&R, I think the Feds will get involved, especially on the scale of your
    incident. When the theft is on a "Licensed Premise" they want to know.
    Sorry to hear. It really sucks.
    Aloha
    Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono
    " The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness "
    (King Kamehameha III)

Home alarm and camera system(cellular).Pit bull/Rottwiller mix and a couple of booby trap dresser drawers. let em sue !

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

What REALLY sucks is that the 'street value' of a pre-WWII bolt action rifle with the length and overall 'klunkiness' of a 91-30 is probably under $50.00.

Some of your collection will probably end up being converted to something resembling an Obretz.

I have heard that sometimes taping a couple hundred bucks to the door of the safe will keep thieves from breaking in. Considering the street value of their haul (see above) , it is easier for thieves to just grab the cash and run than to expend the effort to get into the safe.

Make no mistake. They ARE going to leave your house with something of value, but thieves are lazy and don't want to waste time. Quick cash could be enough to stop them from busting up the safe.

Just ordered a cellular system with door sensors, motion, smoke detector, and 110db extra siren. $15 a month gets me 20% off home owners. Extra lawn signs. All for the cost of an M39. I know its not perfect but its better than what I did have.

Very sorry to hear about your loss Pahtu. Please do get the serials/descriptions out there so we can alert you if we see anything. I pour over all the auctions sites and do gunshows from NY to PA. I know its a long shot but I would like to help.

I see dogs mentioned a lot. I have a medium size mix (house dog) , not a barker, but will let you know if a strange vehicle come in. A barker would drive me "nuts" and
    most of the folks in the area are not fond of a lot of barking/howling either. Country out here with feral dog problems at times. Taking out viscous feral dog(s), or coy/dogs, is
    not uncommon. Anyone serious about getting in would likely just shoot a dog, or dogs. Further, dogs need maintenance, what do you do with them when you are gone, maybe
    for several days. Not fond of the idea of giving keys and/or access to someone while I am gone to take care of them. Little Johnny rides along with Dad and tells all his friends about
    the neat stuff he sees and where it is at. Even so, I have thought about a DDR Sheppard, getting older and not sure I want another critter to take care of.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Quote Originally Posted by SA1911a1 View Post
    I am sorry to hear about your loss. I have very much enjoyed your postings of your firearms over the years.

It would be difficult to bear the idea that someone violated my home like that, regardless of the monetary loss. With a little luck a gun, that will identify the culprits, will come to light and you can recover at least part of your collection. It was probably a blessing that you did not drive up as they were loading up.

In Florida, the FDLE maintains a firearm database, that is searchable, on line, by anyone. We have the ability to plug in a serial number to check the status of any used firearm we intend to buy to see if any law enforcement organization in the sate is interested in a particular weapon. It makes the trade in stolen firearms a little more dangerous for the thieves.
    My son's guns were retrieved that way. But he'd already collected on the insurance and they'd gotten some rust on them. Plus one, a full dress SKS with 30 rd mag, was appraised just after the bans went into effect, and the price dropped like a rock later, so he did a lot better letting the insurance co. keep them.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

I ended up upping the value on my insurance AND making sure all of my serial numbers are recorded in a spreadsheet stored in Dropbox.

What REALLY sucks is that the 'street value' of a pre-WWII bolt action rifle with the length and overall 'klunkiness' of a 91-30 is probably under $50.00.
    If that. Who would really buy one except for someone like us?

I have heard that sometimes taping a couple hundred bucks to the door of the safe will keep thieves from breaking in.
    In Pahtu's case he'd be out his rifles AND a couple hundred bucks.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast