$2,500 early condition Tula 1900

Thread: $2,500 early condition Tula 1900

Default $2,500 early condition Tula 1900

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/1900-RUSSIAN-MOSIN-NAGANT-MODEL-1891-RIFLE/35310953/LotDetail.asp?lid=35310953&rts=/asp/searchadvanced_i.asp%23searchid%3D0%26type%3Dlot%2 6search%3Dmosin%2Bnagant%26sort%3Drelevance%26view %3Dgallery%26length%3D25%26start%3D1%26refine%3D#t opoflot

Anyone here pick it up? It was very interesting to watch this auction unfold. I knew this one would sell for big bucks, even with the mis matched bolt and floor plate. Rest of it looks to be original condition for a pre-1908 M91.

Hammer price seems to have been $2,500 sold to someone on the floor.

A very amazing rifle!

I was in the fight....But on a positive note my wife is not going to kill me

I think I saw you call out the guy posting on the FB group about it. I'm surprised it took as long as it did to get someone to post the active auction link.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I'm sure if one of us got it -we will see a photo set soon. You can't not bragging about owning such a rifle...

I liked the Winchester on the other auction. Not as much as the winning bidder liked it, but I liked it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Mosin Fanboy

Caught my eye too. So did the 1916 Izhevsk, though not to the same degree by any means. Congrats to the new owners who ever they might be. Regards, John.

What made that one so special?

Quote Originally Posted by w38_55 View Post
    What made that one so special?
    Besides the mismatched bolt and floorplate, it looks to be in original condition. Never was upgraded with the post-1908 features and still retains the original sling configuration (no sling slots), no cross bolt, and the flat rear sight. Finding one in this condition is incredibility difficult. Not sure if $2,500 + taxes and auctions fees is the going rate, but you don't see enough of these come up to get a real market value.

Will post pics when it arrives : ))

Quote Originally Posted by yuriman View Post
    Will post pics when it arrives : ))

Well, now we know! Congrats.

It will be interesting to see the front band configuration when you get it in. There are at least two different style of sling swivels. The one in the auction seems to have a much longer shank than on mine.

Oh, that is a nice one. Like someone said, there aren't many still around like that. The auction had great photos but I'm looking forward to seeing it here.

A-ha! Congrats Yuriman!

Congrats Yuriman.

I have been amused by the morons on the various FB pages claiming there's no way that old Mosin is worth more than $200, etc. It shows you don't need any knowledge to have an opinion

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Congrats! That is very exciting! I figured someone here had to have won it if they were willing to pay the big bucks! Looking forward to seeing some more photos!

I bid it up as well. It had some nice features going for it. Congrats on the win. The 20% fee is what stopped me from going higher.

Quote Originally Posted by lthilsdorf View Post
    Besides the mismatched bolt and floorplate, it looks to be in original condition. Never was upgraded with the post-1908 features and still retains the original sling configuration (no sling slots), no cross bolt, and the flat rear sight. Finding one in this condition is incredibility difficult. Not sure if $2,500 + taxes and auctions fees is the going rate, but you don't see enough of these come up to get a real market value.
    Thanks for the info. I have an 1895 and 1899, 1895 has the original stock, magazine mounted sling swivel and such. A few DDR marks on the stock, probably not the flat topped sight. I see where one in original condition and that old might be extremely hard to find! I think I'll go dig those two from the back of the safe and look at them a bit closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    Congrats Yuriman.

I have been amused by the morons on the various FB pages claiming there's no way that old Mosin is worth more than $200, etc. It shows you don't need any knowledge to have an opinion

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I like to rile them up in that group. There's a lot of people who believe that Mosins are $60 rifles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Mosin Fanboy

Thank you guys!

I promise I will take it apart and post as many meaningful pics as possible.
    Last edited by yuriman; 04-14-2017 at 05:02 AM.

I hate to sound ridiculous here, but is it the photos on the link or has that stock been sanded? It looks awful light to my eyes. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2 View Post
    I hate to sound ridiculous here, but is it the photos on the link or has that stock been sanded? It looks awful light to my eyes. Thanks
    The cartouche is legible and the finger grooves are relatively sharp. Maybe it was cleaned, but I don't think it was aggressively sanded. Sometimes camera settings and illumination can make a stock look lighter in color than would be seen in natural light, as well. We should see pics from a different perspective soon.

I agree with martin08. Might be lightly cleaned, but the cartouche looks strong and the finger grooves seem to be fairly sharp. I have an early style M91 and the stock is a bit lighter, though not as light as this one.

I really hope the photos just make it look that light. This is a very nice Mosin Nagant. I've only paid near this amount for one rifle in my collection.

Could be wrong on this but I imagine the buyer's premium must help to jack up the price as well. Sorta like a surcharge added on to the auction price. Frank

That one was caught in my pond, (Tallahassee) but I was not in the fishing. Congrats!
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

My pond also but it passed my limit at opening bid!

paul
    I felt much better after 11/6/2012

Quote Originally Posted by SA1911a1 View Post
    That one was caught in my pond, (Tallahassee) but I was not in the fishing. Congrats!
    I'm in Tally also, and I missed that one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here it is (the top one is the 1900).
    Stock was cleaned or very lightly sanded (as was the one on 1901), the stocks are almost identical in terms of wood grain and color, sharp edges, supple wood, nothing special on the inside.
    The floor plate was Chatel (all of the components including springs are Chatel marked) so I swapped it for early Tula.
    The cleaning rod has corret very fine grooves on the head, the shaft is stamped with both Tula "Hammer" and Izzy "Bow and Arrow".
    The bolt was mismatched with all components marked with Tula "Hammer" ( except the extractor ) and it was cleaned so I swapped it for a more authentic looking matching "Hammer" bolt.
    Everything looks original, arsenal marks are on all small parts, the bore is not counterbored, mirror bright with no pitting, no cancer under the handguard and on the underside of the barrel.
    I tried to download more pics of the bottom rifle (Tula 1901) but no luck

As far as the $$ value - I would LOVE to pay $60 for a rare Mosin but until there are plenty of them available to choose from at this price I will pay as much as it takes (and the high limit will only be determined by what I can afford, not what the other people think it is worth).
    I also might add that I think only people who are interested in making money by buying and reselling are really interested in the $$ value, as a collector I can say that a handful of rifles I remember in every detail are those I let go bcs I thought that they were not "worth it" - turns out that after many years I've not come across any of them again and I would pay a lot more for them today if I was lucky to find them, as time goes by that $200 difference I was too greedy to pay does not look as devastating anymore.
    Unfortunately internet killed almost all "good deals" and when I hear a story that somebody walks in a pawnshop in Montana and buys M1907 Carbine for a $100 I know that that will never happen to me- just like winning the lottery (although I still walk into pawnshops and gunstores full of hope : ))).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0027.jpg  

DSC_0030.jpg  

DSC_0031.jpg  

DSC_0028.jpg  

DSC_0023.jpg  

DSC_0022.jpg  

DSC_0021.jpg  

DSC_0020.jpg  

DSC_0019.jpg  

DSC_0018.jpg  

DSC_0017.jpg  

DSC_0016.jpg  

Last edited by yuriman; 04-29-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Very nice, definitely a good buy.

Wow congrats! The pics you took blew the auction pics away! Very nice rifle, indeed!
    MOSIN PRIME!

Always looking for interesting Imperial Mosins! Antique M91s, 91/38s and Imperial dated Nagant revolvers. PM me if you may have one you may be looking to trade/sell.

Nice one yuriman. Beautiful rifle for sure

Congrats on your rifle and like your view of collecting. I watched this one at auction like a lot of others did. But their pictures really were a deterrent but obviously others knew better. What a fine rifle and good luck on your other "adventures in collecting". As Gene Wilder once said, "nice grouping". Regards, John.

I like what you said too. I did not buy my Mosins for resale or investment; I bought them because I wanted them. If I got a good deal great; if I didn't that really didn't matter.