Reviews of the Cracked Stock M39's?
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Reviews of the Cracked Stock M39's?

  1. #1

    Default Reviews of the Cracked Stock M39's?

    Anybody here order a cracked stock M39 recently? How did yours turn out?

    Considering that it's hard to find an M39 under $400 at all at the moment, the available cracked stock units are somewhat tempting, assuming that they are mostly serviceable.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    802

    Default

    I don't touch Classic with a ten foot pole anymore. Been burned way too many times. Your mileage may vary. Also, if you do get burned, don't bother writing a review & giving it less than 4 stars as they will not post it. Not a real reputable company in my eyes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Wow...I've had great luck with Classic but have stayed away because of all the bad experience from you guys. I quit while I was ahead. Lol

    I will say that the video they posted with all those humped K98's really made me rethink my opinion about them. Ben had to have known they were humped. All the years he has been doing this...really? They put the nail in their own coffin with that stunt.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southeast Mi
    Posts
    106

    Default

    I bought a cracked Sako for $340 shipped....the butt splice was wobbly, so I epoxied and clamped it. Other than that she is an all matching beauty...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There can be only one, and that's me....JR

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Ive personally had good luck with Classic. Might just be lucky but never had a problem with them and ordered quite a lot through the years. Only time it wasn't right they made it right very quickly. Nice rifle easylivin should shoot great.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    12,348

    Default

    This will fall on deaf ears as some believe M39's are so hard to find...they got to take broken stocks and pay high dollar .

    The fact is M39's pop up on Trader all the time in operationally fine wood and bores. Prices are fair and you will know condition of rifle long before it arrives at your door.

    Fool and his money need not apply to you if you are patient and buy great condition M39's.

    Don't be a fool.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Funny, I was going to start a thread about this, so I'll just add my observations here. I was initially happy, as I thought I missed out on getting an m39 at a surplus price, even with the understanding that there would be a cracked stock. I went for a Sako, and paid the extra $50 for the EX/C. When I got it, the stock had an obvious wrist crack, but the stock looked to be a post war, unissued. I had assumed (incorrectly), that the Excellent rating would be for the iron, so I was disappointed at the condition of the hardware. The bolt was unmatched, and sticky; and the trigger, while two stage, was heavy and gritty. The blueing was about 50% to 60%. This really didn't line up with what I was seeing on YT and other internet sites. Also, there were no shims in the stock, and it was evident that the barrel was touching in the handguard. The initial trip to the range also showed the mag to have feeding issues. Having since acquired an m28-30, I now have a point of comparison; the m39 was in pretty rough shape mechanically. After much work, I've gotten the bolt to smooth out, and the trigger is now at about 4.25 pds, where it started about 7. I've relieved some wood from the handguard, and repaired the cracks in the handguard and the stock. It's been an interesting project, and I'm happy with the results, as they currently stand, but I find it odd that I'm doing upgrades to a m39 that are designed for a m91/30. Oh, and one more thing, the rifle is missing the nosecap crossbolt. I reached out to Classic concerning this, and they attempted to correct the issue, but they sent the wrong screw (Action screw). I figure, I'm not planning on any bayonet drills, so I guess I can do without. I will say, I'm glad that I got one when I did, as the prices have been skyrocketing.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobInNJ View Post
    Funny, I was going to start a thread about this, so I'll just add my observations here. I was initially happy, as I thought I missed out on getting an m39 at a surplus price, even with the understanding that there would be a cracked stock. I went for a Sako, and paid the extra $50 for the EX/C. When I got it, the stock had an obvious wrist crack, but the stock looked to be a post war, unissued. I had assumed (incorrectly), that the Excellent rating would be for the iron, so I was disappointed at the condition of the hardware. The bolt was unmatched, and sticky; and the trigger, while two stage, was heavy and gritty. The blueing was about 50% to 60%. This really didn't line up with what I was seeing on YT and other internet sites. Also, there were no shims in the stock, and it was evident that the barrel was touching in the handguard. The initial trip to the range also showed the mag to have feeding issues. Having since acquired an m28-30, I now have a point of comparison; the m39 was in pretty rough shape mechanically. After much work, I've gotten the bolt to smooth out, and the trigger is now at about 4.25 pds, where it started about 7. I've relieved some wood from the handguard, and repaired the cracks in the handguard and the stock. It's been an interesting project, and I'm happy with the results, as they currently stand, but I find it odd that I'm doing upgrades to a m39 that are designed for a m91/30. Oh, and one more thing, the rifle is missing the nosecap crossbolt. I reached out to Classic concerning this, and they attempted to correct the issue, but they sent the wrong screw (Action screw). I figure, I'm not planning on any bayonet drills, so I guess I can do without. I will say, I'm glad that I got one when I did, as the prices have been skyrocketing.
    I have a spare nosecap missing the bolt and figured I'd look for the cross bolt to complete it as a spare. I called Classic and the Burns folks. Nope. They told me that a good number of their rifles were missing the bolt and they had plenty of spare nosecaps, also missing the bolt. It's apparently one of the hardest M39 parts to find.

    I may just make one on the lathe.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    I have a spare nosecap missing the bolt and figured I'd look for the cross bolt to complete it as a spare. I called Classic and the Burns folks. Nope. They told me that a good number of their rifles were missing the bolt and they had plenty of spare nosecaps, also missing the bolt. It's apparently one of the hardest M39 parts to find.

    I may just make one on the lathe.
    I've been searching for one since I got the rifle; the closest I got was Liberty Tree Collectors was selling the complete nosecap for $29. Seemed a waste to get the whole nosecap for the one screw. I asked if they would sell just the screw, as was told "no". They are now out of stock.
    Claven2, if you do make one, is there a chance I could purchase one from you?

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    457

    Default

    You should have bought the LTC complete assembly. It was a bargian, and by the time I saw it, they were sold out.

    I just finished making one this morning. It took around 2 hours to make, so no, I'm not making these for anyone on my manual toolroom lathe. I would have to charge $50 a screw to make it worth the effort, and that's un-blued in the white.

    I had to re-set up my lathe change gears to an oddball metric M5X0.8 thread to make the darned thing. Started with a grade 3, 3/8" bolt and machined away everything that didn't look like a nose cap screw - lol. I had to hand-cut the slot, file it square and then surface polish the screw to a similar pattern as an original. It's actually a lot of work.

    Someone with a CNC lathe could crank these off economically but I haven't got the setup in the shop, I'm only setup for manual prototyping.

    Here's a few pics for the curious. I installed it in one of my M39's and it fits and looks exctly like an original. Need to blue it in the next batch of bluing I do.



    Still need to make the head...



    And finished.


  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Are you guys talking about the screw that goes through the wood ? I'm pretty sure i may have spare ones in my M39 spare parts crate

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upnorth69 View Post
    Are you guys talking about the screw that goes through the wood ? I'm pretty sure i may have spare ones in my M39 spare parts crate
    Yes, the transverse nosecap screw that goess through the wood and secures into the opposite side of the M39 nose cap.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Didn't look through every part but found one right away and 2 spare nose caps as well. If that screw stands between you and your M39 happiness, drop me a pm


  15. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Weston, WV
    Posts
    4,061

    Default

    Cracked stock rifles serve a purpose at a reasonable price. If you have a nice M39 action that needs a home you buy one at a good price and install it in a good stock which you know you have already. When you are buying an M39 for an inflated price with a known cracked stock with insufficient pictures to tell how bad it is you are grasping at straws. With the younger set of collectors being of an instant gratification nature they might foolishly do this but if you are at all logical and patient there are nice good shooting M39's around for sale. Scott's Obsolete screws is a good source of screws you might need if he is still around. He is a one man operation I believe so patience again is required in dealing with him. He deals mostly in Brit rifle fasteners but I lent a bunch of Mosin screws many years ago and usually he knows what you need. Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

  16. #15

    Default

    I've managed to pick off an unissued VKT and an excellent B-Barrel at the $500 or so mark in the last two weeks, but I had been seriously considering the cracked stock specials for a while beforehand. I was hoping that many would be wobbly splices as shown above, but it sounds like they probably have other issues.

    I'm pretty picky about bore condition too, so luck of the draw there probably wasn't going to end well for me. I had been hoping to find one at KCR this past weekend, but I didn't see a single Finn the entire show.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Heartland
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Pardon me for asking but what does humped mean in this instance? I am not familiar with the term as regards K98's.

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dark and Bloody Ground
    Posts
    7,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panfish2010 View Post
    Pardon me for asking but what does humped mean in this instance? I am not familiar with the term as regards K98's.
    Classic recently had a batch of Mausers from a "private collection" that were definitely humped. At the risk of belaboring a point refinished, faked stamps, etc.







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •