Gunboards Forums banner

G 29/40 Question NOW W/PICS

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  anttom 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All
I found a G 29/40 that caught my eye and I may purchase, but since I'm not a Mauser man (Mosins) I'm not sure if its a good deal or not.
Its says G29/40 on the receiver left side with no line outs. 660 over 1940 on the receiver top. Appears all matching except the bolt. Condition is about 80%, looks nice, clean. Now what seems odd is that it is stamped 7.62 on the receiver top and bottom of the butt stock. I'm guessing that the 7.62 is Israeli modification? If someone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it. There asking price is $280.
Thanks

#3 ·
Okay, Thanks I'll check those things. Is the price good for this rifle? I've always wanted a .308 Israeli mauser in nice shape, so if the pitting and bore issues are good I may purchase it for the 280 asking price. Seems to be allot of history with this rifle. Is there any rarity or is it not very collectable because of the Israeli converstion?
Thanks

#8 ·
G 29/40 question now w pics

Well I did some good old fashion horse trading and now I'm a proud owner of a G. 29/40. Here are some pics. Comments are welcome since I'm really not up on my mauser stuff. What exactly is this rifle German, Austrian, Polish? I know its last duty station was Israel. My backbone and Laws Mauser books are kind of vague on this model. It appears to be a mis-match of parts now, I think. BTW to bore is excellent. Thanks Again

#9 · (Edited)
The answer to your question is: all of the above. The 29/40's are made mostly from parts left over in the Radom (Poland) factory after it was overrun by the Germans. Parts were shipped back to Steyr (Austria) for finish assembly and serial numbering. Final assembly was completed with the aid of additional parts that are not Radom produced giving the gun a mixture of Wa623 and Wa77 proofing. Austria and Steyr had been absorbed into Germany during the Anschluss of 1938. The gun is German, Polish and Austrian.

There is no reason for your siderail to be lined out, they lined out the wz portion of the Polish siderail designation wz.29.

The 7.62 is Isreali.

Backbone is pretty sparse on good information regarding 29/40's and skip Ball's book altogether which despite repeated volumes hasn't corrected the inaccurate information on the subject. The best source would be to find a copy of the KCN article that has been updated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.