French Capture K98?

Thread: French Capture K98?

Default French Capture K98?

Looking for my first K98. Description says French capture, and the French sling mount is there. I've read up on here about serials being scrubbed and redone and I've become leery of all K98s as a result

Does everything seem to be in order here? How come the receiver is BCD 43 and barrel (?) is BYF 42? Just manufactured at 2 different facilities? Is that typical?

First off, it's a BCD, not BYF, not sure where you are getting the BYF info..
    Second, the French altered some if not most of the serial numbered parts so any you find that are still matching the receiver and have the original German font are a bonus.
    You can expect to find altered but matching numbers on the French K98ks so if there is grinding and re-stamping that's par for the course.
    Value is around $500/$700 IMHO and the upper level should have a very good original stock and good bore, IMHO.

I wasn't sure if there was evidence of grinding and re-stamping. Was hoping someone could deduce from the pictures.

The BYF is what I see in front of the BCD and behind the rear sight. I didn't know if that was a barrel mark as opposed to the receiver date of manufacture.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Gustloff (bcd) pretty much just assembled rifles from parts made at other facilities. They did get some parts from Mauser Oberndorf(byf). I think barrels were among those parts. The rifle looks like it was just taken into French service after the war and got the sling bar added then. Not one of the rifles made under French supervision at Mauser Oberndorf post war. I don't see evidence of grinding/renumbering, but others here are more familiar with correct number fonts from the different facilities.
    You don't show the other numbers, but I assume it's a bolt mismatch since the bolt release has the number 40 and the bolt is 1487 c.

Quote Originally Posted by chasdev View Post
    First off, it's a BCD, not BYF, not sure where you are getting the BYF info..
    You are right, it's a Gustloff and the e/749 is clearly visible on top of the receiver ring. I think the byf mistake come from the Ruhrstahl AG barrel marking, it's bys and not byf.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57IS View Post
    You are right, it's a Gustloff and the e/749 is clearly visible on top of the receiver ring. I think the byf mistake come from the Ruhrstahl AG barrel marking, it's bys and not byf.
    You are right, I misread. Thanks for the correction