1896 Izhevesk M91/30 - added tang photo

Thread: 1896 Izhevesk M91/30 - added tang photo

Thumbs up 1896 Izhevesk M91/30 - added tang photo

I was fortunate enough to have a fellow board member point out a listing on the trader forum for this rifle.

I've always been interested in the older refurbs, but the oldest one I've owned up until yesterday was a 1916 Izhevesk M91/30.

This one is 20 years older, and appears to be a Ukrainian refurb. This opinion is based on the larger fonts typically seen on these rifles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1896_Izhevesk_M91-30.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	2140362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shank.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	2140426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	377.5 KB 
ID:	2140442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magazine-plate.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	2140458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buttplate.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	2140466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear-band.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	301.7 KB 
ID:	2140474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front-band.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	2140482

*UPDATE* - Here's the tang photo - 1895?

Name:	189X-tang.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	2159346

Possibly taking it to the range later this afternoon after work.
    Last edited by gunhorde; 04-20-2017 at 05:19 AM. Reason: added tang photo

How could this be a 91/30 from 1896? Is it a Dragoon or Cossack? Otherwise, it would be an M91.

Quote Originally Posted by skeath View Post
    How could this be a 91/30 from 1916? Is it a Dragoon or Cossack? Otherwise, it would be an M91.
    Dragoons were made starting in 1893, so if one managed to survive and still be in Soviet hands during refrubishment to M91/30 standards, that's how you end up with an 1896 or 1916 dated M91/30.

Not very common by any means, but there are examples.

This one posted here is a particularly hard to find example, as most of these early dated Dragoons were probably very worn out after service in the Russo-Japanese war, World War I, the Russian Civil War, and World War II. Not many escaped those conflicts to end up in a Ukrainian import box.

Great find!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Score! Let us know how she shoots for ya'!
    "Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force."

- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Now that is the kind of refurb to have! Thanks for the pictures.
    Gary

That's the kind of 91/30 that I like. Great Mosin and congratulations.

Great looking refirb gunhorde congrats. Around 14 years ago a LGS had a 1897 Izhezsk Ex-Dragoon/91-30 refirb in a nice laminate stock for $175. I'm still kicking myself for not buying on the spot. I went back to get it a day later and it was gone, and I haven't come across one since. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for the pics, Denny

I would say even though I don't collect refurbs that is why I always look at all of them for just something like that. Great little find John! Kind of funny I too have a 1916 Izhevsk 91/30 refurb too. It has not seen the light of day for many years as I got it a full 20 years ago! That rifle for sure has many tales to tell I bet! Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Just goes to show you, you never know what your gonna find in a refurb!
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

They'll always be a empty chair at the gunshows for you buddy.

Question Tang photo, finally - 1895?

Today was the first day I've had the time (and the energy) to take apart the rifle to check the tang. There are a few areas of pitting on the barrel and underside of the receiver, nothing to worry about and they've been treated.

The last number is only partially struck, I believe it's the top left portion of the number "5", so 1895 for the receiver.

If anyone sees something different please feel free to correct me.

Here it is:

Name:	189X-tang.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	2158930

BTW, no grease plug in the receiver...
    Last edited by gunhorde; 04-19-2017 at 09:48 PM. Reason: additional details

Talking Range report

I had the 1896 out at Ben Avery yesterday afternoon for a trial run - the rifle is surprisingly accurate for it age and barrel wear - the lands are worn but clear, and no pitting other than the usual and expected micro-pitting or "frosting" which is minor. It is not counterbored.

The rifle shoots a little to the right, so I'll be drifting the front sight base slightly to the right before my next range trip. I tested a variety of ammo, I had the best operational function with steel cased lacquered soft-point ammo. Copper washed ammo was difficult to chamber and extract, as was the dark grey lacquered ammo with a dark grey primer (silvertip).

The rear band kept coming off the retaining spring, allowing the upper handguard to creep forward. I'll need to either increase the tension on the spring, or install a "Finn screw" to keep the band from moving forward.

I may just leave it alone though, I don't expect this one to be a regular shooter, I've got others to use for range trips.

Overall I was EXTREMELY pleased with the accuracy and function, and just having it out at the range was exciting. There were several other range members there with M91-30's, they couldn't believe it when I told when what the barrel date was. This is definitely a keeper.

Thanks again to Ubersailer for making it available.