There is no shortage of M39: don't buy junkers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There is no shortage of M39: don't buy junkers

sick There is no shortage of M39: don't buy junkers

I don't know how this panic to buy M39's started and the follow on drama to buy damaged stock M39's ...just so you can get one.

You can get one anytime at all..just watch the Trader, have you C&R license current and buy a M39 in fine shape with solid wood.

M39's are out there for sale and frankly the prices are the same range as the broken stock M39's currently on the market .

Buy good once. Good M39's are out there, be patient and get a good one.

...and what in blazes are you going to do with a incomplete M39 with a broke stock...wall hang it ?

+1
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

I bought one with a bubba'ed stock from the estate of my friend for $300, bought a stock for $200 and now have a perfectly good $400 M39!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Wise words.
    Listen to this man.
    Jack of all milsurps, master of none.

Unless they have a trainload of these, it seems no one is panicking. They've had them listed for weeks.

Ah but it's Classic selling them!! It's the last load, that's what Ben says!!
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

They'll always be a empty chair at the gunshows for you buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by chasdev View Post
    I bought one with a bubba'ed stock from the estate of my friend for $300, bought a stock for $200 and now have a perfectly good $400 M39!
    Way to go Chasdev...2 plus 3 is 4 in Texas. You could have spent $500 but spent $400. Works for me.

Yea, I know and I knew at the time..my buddy Larry passed away and I managed to buy it from his heirs and wanted to restore it in his memory so cost was not really the object.
    Did make an interesting lesson for the boards though as to value/s.
    In any case I'm just glad to give you the chance to be an a-hole in public.

Joe, are you insinuating that the may be some alternate truths coming from the good folks at Classic? I am shocked. Next thing you will cast doubt on the veracity of the marketers at Mitchel's.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

You have a $400 M39 for $500???

To play devil's advocate, try following m39 sales on GB. They are selling well north of what classic is charging now.

Granted, a cracked stock special from CA is a bit of a crap shoot.

As far as I am concerned NO M39 COLLECTION is complete without a Classic Cracked Stock M39!!!!
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

Classic and their eager customers have screwed up the market for M39s. Wish I would have kept one of my M39s, but I guess my M27 can keep me company. Maybe I'll luck into one later on down the road.

It's called capitalism, the free market, and the law of supply and demand.

And is it's collectible by virtue of being cracked and retailed by classic, then you need a cracked. Classic Sako, sky, vkt, tikka, and no maker examples to really have it covered... Lol.

The serious collection for will also want a classic cracked stock special version of. 1941 straight stocked Sako, as well as a round receiver variant.

Quote Originally Posted by SA1911a1 View Post
    Joe, are you insinuating that the may be some alternate truths coming from the good folks at Classic? I am shocked. Next thing you will cast doubt on the veracity of the marketers at Mitchel's.

I have a funny picture that deals with classic, but last time I posted it, it got deleted, and I think I got a warning too
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

Yea, I know and I knew at the time..my buddy Larry passed away and I managed to buy it from his heirs and wanted to restore it in his memory so cost was not really the object.
    Did make an interesting lesson for the boards though as to value/s.
    In any case I'm just glad to give you the chance to be an a-hole in public.
    All the effort to help you on a basic AR and I am a A-Hole ? Your humble gratitude is only surpassed by your superior math skill sets.

-1 for math! $300 and $200 don't equal $400 unless your wife was watching! Hehe! Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    -1 for math! $300 and $200 don't equal $400 unless your wife was watching! Hehe! Bill
    I think that was his point bill, a bit of sarcasm there
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

I thought it was pretty clever wit myself. Got chuckle from that one and the following responses. I liked pictures and cheap prices. Haven't picked up a M39 in some time now. But I did buy two brand new unissued stocks with hardware years ago. They are finally going up in value now! So I counter the advice and suggest buying at least two cracked stocked M39s and then save your money contact me PM, ha! Good advice and good luck to those who choose differently. Regards, John.

To have something to remember your friend by I understand that.

I just picked up a very non-rare M39 (VKT 1944 date on a 1931 Ishevsk hex reciever) at a local auction with a green leather sling for about $100 less than what one of Classics cracked stock specials would have cost shipped to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    I took it to mean that he ended up spending $500 on a rifle that he knows is really only worth $400. I think you guys are talking about a math problem where a math problem never existed...

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    I don't know how this panic to buy M39's started and the follow on drama to buy damaged stock M39's ...just so you can get one.

You can get one anytime at all..just watch the Trader, have you C&R license current and buy a M39 in fine shape with solid wood.

M39's are out there for sale and frankly the prices are the same range as the broken stock M39's currently on the market .

Buy good once. Good M39's are out there, be patient and get a good one.

...and what in blazes are you going to do with a incomplete M39 with a broke stock...wall hang it ?
    Bought a like-new 1970 M39 for $350 that was on consignment at my LGS, although that was a rare bird, considering they're going online for $450. As for M39's with damaged stocks, remember that, no matter what, they're STILL an M39. They're STILL going to shoot better than an average Mosin. And most damage is cheaply fixable. And even if a person decides to drop it into an Archangel stock, they've still got a far better Mosin than average.

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    All the effort to help you on a basic AR and I am a A-Hole ? Your humble gratitude is only surpassed by your superior math skill sets.
    And I thank you for your advice, I guess I'm still a little raw after losing my best friend of 40 years..

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyears View Post
    You have a $400 M39 for $500???
    Irony is lost on some people who require downright sarcasm. The point was, he spent 500 bucks restoring a rifle which he could have purchased in equal condition for 400 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL View Post
    Irony is lost on some people who require downright sarcasm. The point was, he spent 500 bucks restoring a rifle which he could have purchased in equal condition for 400 dollars.
    +1

One thing I will say: with the last of the m39's (any condition) being retailed now, I coming price hike is inevitable in the US. It's already happened here in Canada where any M39 is selling over $800 despite a recent small batch of hand select vkt rifles from the earlier classic batch.

Just prior to that, they were up to $1200 on average and will be at that price here again shortly.

28-30's are now up near $1500 (!).

The only things that kept values low in the states were this dumping of the old Pat Burns rifles and cheap 91/30s keeping the whole family of rifles from over-inflating.

Both are factors drawing to a close. In my opinion, m39's will soon be thought of as investment rifles and will rise considerably in value given the numbers made and the size of the USA market.

Enough 54R rifles are in circulation that ammo availability isn't going to depress values. Even if you run out of surplus, commercial makers will make 54r for decades to come.

Quote Originally Posted by WardenWolf View Post
    Bought a like-new 1970 M39 for $350 that was on consignment at my LGS, although that was a rare bird, considering they're going online for $450. As for M39's with damaged stocks, remember that, no matter what, they're STILL an M39. They're STILL going to shoot better than an average Mosin. And most damage is cheaply fixable. And even if a person decides to drop it into an Archangel stock, they've still got a far better Mosin than average.
    An M39 in an Archangel stock is a bit like a classic Mercedes Gullwing that's had the tackiest ricer wing imaginable grafted onto it.

I generally agree with the OP on a number of points. Good quality, highly functional m39s are for sale. Be patient and keep your eyes open for one! And why someone would want to spend their hard earned cash on something that is, by definition, BROKEN, is strange to me. To each their own I guess.

Where I part ways a little with the OP is the price range assertion. I need someone to show me where these nice quality, functional, sub-$300 m39s are for sale. I have been watching the Trader here, other online sites, and gun and pawn shops for these for at least a couple years and have yet to encounter them. Point me in the right direction and I will aggressively add to my m39 collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL View Post
    Sorry, but since I did the math for this exact project up front (a post somewhere on this board where i said the numbers can't work out) I made the rash assumption other people would do the math, too. More fool me.

Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    One thing I will say: with the last of the m39's (any condition) being retailed now, I coming price hike is inevitable in the US. It's already happened here in Canada where any M39 is selling over $800 despite a recent small batch of hand select vkt rifles from the earlier classic batch.

Just prior to that, they were up to $1200 on average and will be at that price here again shortly.

28-30's are now up near $1500 (!).

The only things that kept values low in the states were this dumping of the old Pat Burns rifles and cheap 91/30s keeping the whole family of rifles from over-inflating.

Both are factors drawing to a close. In my opinion, m39's will soon be thought of as investment rifles and will rise considerably in value given the numbers made and the size of the USA market.

Enough 54R rifles are in circulation that ammo availability isn't going to depress values. Even if you run out of surplus, commercial makers will make 54r for decades to come.
    This is what lit a fire under me to snag a good M39 soonish. GB sales are really high for those rifles at the moment, and I don't see any reason they would drop soon. I'm not interested in searching gunshows for months trying to find what I want. I've managed to locate what I wanted on this board and one other, but these rifles are likely to increase in cost quickly.

Look at K31's now--from $79 10 years ago, a good walnut stocked rifle will go for $700+

M39's have been artificially plentiful for a few years; I'm willing to bet once the supply at Classic is gone (as much of a crap shoot as it is), the prices on good examples will jump a bit.

I have been actively looking for an m24, CG marked m91 Tikka, M28, or m28-30 for 3 years and have yet to find any of them for under 600 (normally far in excess of this). After the classic surge prices have risen and staid that way. I do not see them diminishing any time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivaltm View Post
    This is what lit a fire under me to snag a good M39 soonish. GB sales are really high for those rifles at the moment, and I don't see any reason they would drop soon. I'm not interested in searching gunshows for months trying to find what I want. I've managed to locate what I wanted on this board and one other, but these rifles are likely to increase in cost quickly.

Look at K31's now--from $79 10 years ago, a good walnut stocked rifle will go for $700+

M39's have been artificially plentiful for a few years; I'm willing to bet once the supply at Classic is gone (as much of a crap shoot as it is), the prices on good examples will jump a bit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There are lots of M28's for under $600 on GB, but they are mis-matched with trashed stocks. Nice ones are north of 6 bills now. Sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Krieger82 View Post
    I have been actively looking for an m24, CG marked m91 Tikka, M28, or m28-30 for 3 years and have yet to find any of them for under 600 (normally far in excess of this). After the classic surge prices have risen and staid that way. I do not see them diminishing any time soon.

There are lots of M28's for under $600 on GB, but they are mis-matched with trashed stocks. Nice ones are north of 6 bills now. Sadly.
    That has been my experience. And I live in a surplus wasteland. I hit out of state locations when I can, but its slim pickings. Id tell the OP just buy any good deal you get your hands but stay away from classic. I loved them way back before the new owners, been burned too many times since then.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem that M27s go for much. I just bought one that looks like a pretty fresh postwar refurb for under $400 shipped (on GB no less)

Shhhhh! I'm overseas and can't buy anything for a couple of more years. Let's keep the frenzy localized with m39s please. I'm quite happy that M27s and M28s are kind of reasonable.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."
    -David St.Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Rivaltm View Post
    On the other hand, it doesn't seem that M27s go for much. I just bought one that looks like a pretty fresh postwar refurb for under $400 shipped (on GB no less)
    Because it's a post-war refurb, no doubt.

The early guns with un-spliced cut-down 91 stocks and winged connectors are selling well north of that. The later guns that are not obvious refurbs are also selling over $400 typically.

But anything civil guard carries a premium for some unknown reason.

The price of these toys rise a bit everywhere, even in the source of the rifle, Finland . between last year and the beginning of 2017 M39 in good condition ( shinny bore and stock with no big hit) raised by 10%.

you pay more for this rifle in Finland than most of you paid for this rifle in US .

Quote Originally Posted by jack57000 View Post
    The price of these toys rise a bit everywhere, even in the source of the rifle, Finland . between last year and the beginning of 2017 M39 in good condition ( shinny bore and stock with no big hit) raised by 10%.

you pay more for this rifle in Finland than most of you paid for this rifle in US .
    You can't compare the price of the rifles in the US (who were sold unproofed as junk by the kilo) to the price in Finland where the rifles were individually checked and proofed (no cracked stocks or missing parts on the finnish rifles)

I paid 300€ for my most expensive Mosin so far in Finland (a mint M28/30). I normally got the M39s at around 250€

From the moment you go through a shop, the price has nothing to do with the rifle's real value

Where exactly are they getting this stuff? Locals have been told for years that depots ran out of m/39s back in 2006 but obviously that was just to keep us calm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfUwHBsDTCU&spfreload=5

Quote Originally Posted by CH View Post
    Where exactly are they getting this stuff? Locals have been told for years that depots ran out of m/39s back in 2006 but obviously that was just to keep us calm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfUwHBsDTCU&spfreload=5

The last batch of M39's that classic sold came from Burns's large horde they bought out. These had been in the US for sometime, just stored in a warehouse.
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

For starters, I've never seen an unproofed m39. They pretty much all have the 3006 stamp on them. I've also never gotten an m39 from a surplus retailer that was missing parts, or was in anything but excellent condition except for one well used and non-refurb early straight stock Sako that I don't need to shoot, though it would shoot fine despite the bluing loss.

The burns guns were not bought as scrap as far as I know.

I had heard the rifles were bought per gun in a surplus auction, but all their hoard of spare parts like extractors, stocks, nosecaps, etc was bought by scrap weight.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jack57000 View Post

You can't compare the price of the rifles in the US (who were sold unproofed as junk by the kilo) to the price in Finland where the rifles were individually checked and proofed (no cracked stocks or missing parts on the finnish rifles)

I paid 300? for my most expensive Mosin so far in Finland (a mint M28/30). I normally got the M39s at around 250?

From the moment you go through a shop, the price has nothing to do with the rifle's real value

Quote Originally Posted by joe7170 View Post
    The last batch of M39's that classic sold came from Burns's large horde they bought out. These had been in the US for sometime, just stored in a warehouse.
    When did Burns get this batch? Much later than 2006, yes?

Much earlier.

By proofed i meant CIP proofed. The 3600 proof means nothing on a rifle that may have a different bolt head and so on. One of my contact at the finnish proofing house told me once that a good portion of the Mosins submitted to proofing failed the headspace test and that they had to be creative swapping bolts to get them through.

Not all the rifles shipped to the US were complete, a portion of the shipped ones got turned into spare parts

It was around 2006 CH.....maybe a couple years earlier. It was also the same time frame of the last shipment of Finn captured 91-30's. Denny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast