HElp with this safn49 mount

Thread: HElp with this safn49 mount

Default HElp with this safn49 mount

Hi guys I need help with this safn49 belgium army. It is origial or repro? It seem to be soldered to the rifle but i cannot disassembly the action. It is stucked in the stock.

From the pictures, not sure, Looks like someone glued/soldered (?) an FN49 repro base onto the side of a non milled for scope rifle !! ?? Original bases were finished much nicer. Are you unable to "i cannot disassembly the action", or remove the receiver from the stock "It is stucked in the stock." Two different problems.

Well, the rifle is from the Belgian contract - you can see the "ABL" on the receiver. This rifle DOES have the scope mounting dovetail on the left side of the receiver (if you go full-size on one of the photos you can see the base inside the dovetail).

The scope base itself, as mentioned by sssniper, is a reproduction, not an original FN-produced base. The scope mount is a small-knob commercial (civilian) Echo mount so that's incorrect as well. The scope is a Type 2 OIP scope - that IS an original Belgian military scope.

There was no mechanical retention method for the scope base - it was meant to be silver soldered or otherwise bonded onto the receiver - as apparently this one was.
    Last edited by Goose52; 04-18-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Edited as a result of later photos posted by OP
    Read a good book lately?
    www.fn49.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

THanks guys
    The rifle have #38.109
    The serial number is the same on receiver, stock, bolt. So the rifle, by serial number, should be a first stock of belgian sniper rifle.
    So as i understood the base and rings are a copy. To have a correct sniper i should find a large ring echo mount ( that i found in belgium) and an original FN base, that seem to be impossible to find.
    The important to me is to ubderstand ,by the serial number, if the rifle is a correct aniper or not

Unfortunately, you cannot confirm that a Belgian contract FN-49 was originally a sniper rifle by the serial number. There are NO records available that document the serial numbers of the Belgian snipers. It is not like the Luxembourg and Belgian Congo sniper rifles that were all in a specific serial number range. All we know is that Belgium placed an order on 9 November, 1951 for 4720 rifles - of those rifles, 162 were to be sniper rifles. Those 162 sniper rifles could have serial numbers anywhere in the numbers of those 4720 rifles.

Now, the sniper rifles from that first order have been observed in the serial number range between 35000 and 40000 - and your rifle is in that range. However, it cannot be proven, by the serial number only, that your rifle might have been one of those 162 original sniper rifles. By the way, I own a Belgian contract FN-49 SerNo 38279 - very close to your rifle. It is not, and never was, a sniper rifle.

A question for you - does your rifle have the wood cheekpiece on the comb of the stock? If so, do you have photos of that part? Also - is your rifle dated 1952?
    Last edited by Goose52; 04-17-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added questions
    Read a good book lately?
    www.fn49.com

Understood.
    Yes my rifle is a 1952 and have the cheekpad on the stock

So you have a #38279 that is not a sniper rifle. So the stock doesnt have the cheeckpad. But is the serial number on your stock the same as the rifle? Cause the thing that could prove tge mine could be a real sniper, scope and base apart, is the stock. It is the original stock and the cheekpad is the same wood, grain and color. It maybe could be a fake? I dont know. I should have to see other stocks with cheekpad to see the difference. I will tale some pics of the stock under the cheekpad later

Yes - the stock on my rifle 38279 has a matching serial number. It is just a standard rifle.

For your rifle - the cheekpiece looks original, and the way it is attached to the stock looks original. The serial number on your stock also looks original. So, the only thing that looks out of order on your rifle is the scope base. The original FN bases had a better quality of machining than the base on your rifle. I have no explanation for the appearance of that scope base. It's hard to say what has happened to these rifles since they left the FN factory more than 60 years ago - perhaps the original base was damaged or otherwise had to be removed for some reason and it was replaced by this base. Your rifle even has a British proof mark on the receiver so it was in the UK for a while - perhaps something was done to the base there.

Since your stock looks original - I would say that if you can, obtain the correct large-knob Echo mount, leave this scope base on the rifle, and call it a sniper rifle !
    Read a good book lately?
    www.fn49.com