SVT 40 info needed

Thread: SVT 40 info needed

Default SVT 40 info needed

First off Thanks for any input/help......don't have much insight on these....[picked it up at an estate sale....seller was like "you like that sniper"..........but looks to me like a parts gun (haven't attempted to take apart yet) as the number don't match...looks like it was proofed/accepted by Germany during WWII.....it has the rails in the back I assume that's for a scope mount....and not sure if sling is correct for it....nice bore..
    Thanks Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SVT40.jpg   SVT40.1.peg.jpg   SVT40.3.peg.jpg   SVT40.2.peg.jpg  
    Last edited by Al Marshall; 04-15-2017 at 11:16 AM.

more pics
    Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SVT40.4.peg.jpeg   SVT40.5.peg.jpg   SVT40.6.peg.jpg   SVT40.7.peg.jpg   SVT40.8.peg.jpeg  

more pics Thanks..
    last pics to finish the story....left side of barrel shows what looks like a 34....92 in a circle and above that 77.....right side shows letters in diamonds along with a K same font as on receiver....finally on the left side of the receiver to me the sn has been ground and numbers reapplied...? not sure what that is about
    Al

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVT40.9.peg.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	315.7 KB 
ID:	2142882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVT40.10.peg.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	315.5 KB 
ID:	2142890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVT40.11.peg.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	2142898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVT40.12.peg.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	2142906

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVT40.13.peg.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	2146738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVT40.16.peg.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	2146746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVT40.14.peg.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	2146754
    Last edited by Al Marshall; 04-16-2017 at 05:38 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Herr B. Ubba with Romanian AK sling, refinished stock.
    Possibly a Finnish capture before Herr B. Ubba.
    Just my first impression......actual mileage may vary.
    Looks strange at the top rear of receiver where the "notch" would be located.
    I really hope I'm wrong as it looks like a nice example.

Rock..

Thanks...i also was wondering about why it doesn't not have a notch...and the saga continues
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Marshall View Post
    Rock..

Thanks...i also was wondering about why it doesn't not have a notch...and the saga continues
    Al
    All early SVT's from the 3 (Tula, Izhevsk, Podolsk) makers had the rails machined in the receiver. Only the snipers had the notch. AFAIK only Tula made SVT snipers. So your Izhevsk is correct with the machined rails but no notch.

I think the waffenampts are fake. WaA103 is FN Herstal in Belgium.

81 Thanks.....so a early...non "sniper "....
    I took a chance on lt as i didnt have anything like it...
    So i will just shoot the hell out of it..
    .....i also picked up some ammo they had for it...
    Thanks al

81 Thanks.....so a early...non "sniper "....
    I took a chance on lt as i didnt have anything like it...
    So i will just shoot the hell out of it..
    .....i also picked up some ammo they had for it...
    Thanks al
    Shoot it and enjoy it!! Very nice bores on SVT's is rather uncommon.

SVT's take some dialing in with the gas settings and ammo selection.

Theres good info in this thread:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...T-40-Need-tips

Forgot to ask....is Russian ammo corrosive?
    Thanks al

81....Thanks great link....alot of info there to get me going......also in that link they mention HB or LPs bullets not sure what that means ...heavy ball and ?
    Al

81....Thanks great link....alot of info there to get me going......also in that link they mention HB or LPs bullets not sure what that means ...heavy ball and ?
    Al
    Light ball ammo is commonly referred to as LPS, as that's what's on the ammo can. I shoot the 147 grain light ball out of mine, both of my SVT's like the 1.5 gas setting.

Forgot to ask....is Russian ammo corrosive?
    Thanks al
    Is it the surplus ammo or the new commercial? The surplus is indeed corrosive, the new stuff supposedly isn't BUT I treat it like it is. I personally won't risk damaging a collectible and valuable rifle. The SVT is very fun to shoot. It is very hard on brass cases and gets quite dirty due to the fluted chamber. They are also very loud!

Will have to dig it out of the ammo bunker....if i remember right its surplus...
    got this last aug...with a bunch of other guns....have been going through m1 carbines and lugers and finally got around to this gun....

Quote Originally Posted by 81turbota View Post
    Light ball ammo is commonly referred to as LPS, as that's what's on the ammo can. I shoot the 147 grain light ball out of mine, both of my SVT's like the 1.5 gas setting.
    I thought the only spam cans marked LPS were Romanian. Light ball is marked with about a 1 inch wide silver strip of tape or 1 inch wide stripe silver paint just about regardless of source.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I thought the only spam cans marked LPS were Romanian. Light ball is marked with about a 1 inch wide silver strip of tape or 1 inch wide stripe silver paint just about regardless of source.
    LPS is the Roman alphabet translation of the Cyrillic letters ЛПС (same pronunciation, more or less), which is the light ball description you will find on nearly all the rounded corner green Spam Cans of 7.62X54R Light Ball ammunition produced in countries that use that alphabet. Those letters are usually the largest letters on the can.

The old 'soldered together cube' cans from the 50's and before usually have a different designation (if you can read them).

In later years, the silver stripe disappeared from the outside of the can (and from the bullet points), so you need to know these letter designations to positively know that cans so marked contain light ball.

Thanks for the info on the ammo.....I posted afew more picks of barrel markings and sn....which looks as if it were ground and re stamped...?
    al

PLAN ON RECEIVING a 60Db loss of all high frequency in your left ear if you don't use the highest quality hearing protection yodar

Interesting rifle. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by yodar View Post
    PLAN ON RECEIVING a 60Db loss of all high frequency in your left ear if you don't use the highest quality hearing protection yodar
    True Fact.

My BETTER ear has a full 60 dB loss in the higher frequencies, and the other ear is missing about 80.

I don't blame it on shooting noise, though. I worked for 40 years in a coal-fired steam power plant, and you can believe me when I say there are VERY FEW things in one of those plants that aren't loud. Most of the hearing loss came in the first ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by 81turbota View Post
    I think the waffenampts are fake. WaA103 is FN Herstal in Belgium.
    I agree 100%. Why would a rifle captured in Russia be returned to a German armament factory to have a factory code applied to the weapon and then shipped back to the troops for them to use? Also the stock code of WaA10 is not in the list of known Waffenamt codes.
    Last edited by BigBoy99; 04-18-2017 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Typo!
    Bill

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again!

Why is it that 46% of the population which pay NO taxes, complain that those who do pay taxes, are not paying their fair share?

Youse guys don't no nuthing...........

what we have here is part of the WaA10 top secret german program that took captured weapons refurbed them and sent them back to the front so the troops could use them against the Russians......

THANKS for all the input.....look forward to shooting it....
    Al