About 5 years ago I bought this 1943 Izhevsk M91/30 refurb. It turned out to be an ex-sniper. It was a $100 rifle at the time. I shot it a few times and put it away. About a year ago I got it out to shoot it again and several of the weld plugs came loose. The plugs popped out with a light hit with a punch and hammer. This started me down the path to re-sniper this rifle. I am a project type of guy, so I was looking forward to it. In order to make it worthwhile, I needed to find the best deals on a base, mount and scope. I found the right base and screws and bought a mount and scope from a member here. Cutting the stock was slow and tedious. It came out fine, but far from perfect. I wasn't worried though, the stock had plenty of scratches on it. I had Mike B turn the bolt for me. Excellent quality work. Now I just need to get it dialed in. I have shims and a barrel wrap on it, following the guidance provided in the kit. The trigger is decent now, but needs more work after I get some accuracy testing done... which will include finding a good hand load to feed it. Overall I'm happy with it so far. Hopefully I can get it to print well. It shot decent with iron sights. I should mention that it is counter bored too.
When did you have Mike B do your bolt? Sent him couple of emails few weeks ago and no reply whatsoever. Is he still in business? Website seems to be up and running
He did the bolt for me close to a year ago. When he was busy, at first it took him a while to reply. Once arrangements were made and I sent the bolt out, it was a very fast turn around.
Originally Posted by Stalin's Ghost
Interesting to hear of one where the plugs popped out. Most are welded up super tight.
Does that one have the original scope numbers on the left side?
Yeah, I was shocked. It came slightly loose from the firing, I shot it a few more times and during a strip-down cleaning I started investigating. It ended up coming right out. The rest were pretty easy to knock out as well. The threads were still visible but a little damaged. I ran a tap through it and was able to get the base screwed on with a little fitting to get it right.
The original scope number is still intact, yes. I thought that was pretty neat. Combined with the loose plug and it was meant to be converted back. The billboard import mark (and placement on the receiver) make it obvious that this rifle wasn't imported as a sniper. My handiwork is good but certainly doesn't replicate original (especially the wood) so if I die and all my records are lost, a collector will be able to tell it was put together.