Gunboards Forums banner

Pretty Rare Steyr M95 first year on gunbroker...

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  heavy_mech 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Yeah, I saw it. Stock is weird, sling swivels and butt plate definitely not original, metal is badly pitted. I am not even sure the date is 97.

#6 ·
That is indeed puzzling, people on the Mannlicher forum watching Mannlicher auctions.

#8 ·
...if the buyer realized he bought a Hungarian rifle in that Austrian listing?
Not to go all history lesson but they were part of the same Austro-Hungarian Empire so even though it was designed and initially built in Austria by Steyr is was very quickly brought into production by the then new FEG in Budapest, Hungary. Materially and esthetically I've noted very little difference between the two.

#15 ·
Is 1897 the first year of production at Steyr and not Budapest?
Not positive but I thought it was sometime in '96 at Steyr and less than a year later at FEG? I know I read this at least once when I first started acquiring M95s.

#16 ·
Not positive but I thought it was sometime in '96 at Steyr and less than a year later at FEG? I know I read this at least once when I first started acquiring M95s.
No M.95s were made in 1896 for the simple reason the short rifle (Stutzen) was officially adopted too late in the year, in November 22, 1896. The rifle M.95 was adopted on May 31, 1898 and the carbine was adopted on January 8, 1899.

Obviously, all guns dated 1897 should be in Stutzen configuration. This being said, there were some very early Stutzens that didn't have the stacking rod nor the bayonet lug. Everything else is as in the commonly encountered Stutzens - sling attachment, lower band location, etc.

#17 ·
Inquisitive, not argumentative. So none were manufactured in the last 5 weeks or so of '96? Any thoughts about preproduction prototypes or 'trials' guns? Manufactured on the assembly floor or more of a handbuilt prototyping laboratory?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.