DP Rifles - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DP Rifles

Brad, Demo gave me half a dozen DP bolts some time back, I think I mentioned to you about a shear test on the small lug I had done, It was with one of those.
    Three of the six had hairline fractures about the small lug, another had a hairline fracture on the base of the bolt handle(surprisingly enough this was the later of the bolts) the others had other minor faults, enough to ensure that they were stamped accordingly.
    After having them crack tested, hardness checked and xrayed, I started to have all the bolts and actions tested, not just Lee Enfields, but other clunkers as well.
    It gets a bit hard to close your eyes to some of the problems that crop up, but suffice to say I have increased my condemned stock a fair bit.
    I have seen a few receivers DP stamped, the question I ask myself is ...were the other components also stamped?, did someone just replace the barrel and bolt? was the bolt scrubbed?.......never worried too much about timber though, we didn't stamp it here in OZ, and usually just colour coded it.
    So going on the DP's on L1A1's, soft receivers and loose actions, I would simply advise anyone to consider not firing any action or bolt that is stamped DP.

frown

Would you let your grandkids shoot it?No!
    Would you sale it and not tell? No
    Would you fire it your self? No
    Are you 100% sure as you take the slake up in the trigger...."is it's a rife or an explosive device, IED?"
    Only afterwards one shot, after the next shot, after the next......till the boom!
    Not ever knowingly would I pull this Pandora box door open....><> Dan

Very good read...."eyes wide open thoughts" ...while you still have "them!"

As always a very good read with some great information from some very knowledgeable folks. However the question to me is how to get this information into a form that can be easily used to educate. Especially now that there seems to be an incredible interest in milsurps by people in their 20s and 30s due in part to the rifles that show up in video games. As a member of a social media enfield group I notice that there are a lot of folks buying and showing/shooting some pretty rough stuff. I would love to se a sticky that has a chart showing the markings to look for and what they mean. Its not a case of debating in the sticky but of a strong statement of facts as they are known, There has to be a very eye-catching statement many times over that explains that you shoot a weapon with any of these marks it is at your own risk and that gunboards provides this information as a service only plus all the usual fine print. All of the contributors to this thread are long time and well respected forum members that contribute a wealth of experience and knowledge but the majority of newbies are looking for fast answers and some kind of basic information you can keep on your phone and pull up when you find that cheap old enfield at the pawn shop. A chart that shows the meaning of the red and white paint stripes and yellow and green bands would also be nice. No you can’t ever stop the people who think they know better but I feel that there are a load of newer collectors entering the field who need to know what is safe or not. The stupid answers I see on the social media sites scare the heck out of me. I feel this is the best Enfield forum on the web for intelligent answers to questions. It would be nice to be able to provide a link to a sticky that gives the correct information. Seems like many of the young guys I see have wives and kids and anything that can be done to avert a tragedy via simple education would be great.
    Again great thread and thank you for the information.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Way way back i was once told in a easy term that i could sorta picture & understand (at the time) that at the moment of firing the pressures generated are as if a Elephant had suddenly appeared in the chamber and then had to force its way out, no idea if this is a good comparsion or not but it opened up some young eyes to pressure.

Khyber pass rifle with soft sewer pipe metal: wallhanger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0011.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12