Gunboards Forums banner

fmj bullet in a springfield trapdoor

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  samamara 
#1 ·
Would like some input . What are your thoughts on using full metal jackets in a Springfield Trapdoor. Good or bad idea ? I only use black powder with a 405 gr hb I make myself but was given 2 boxes of 300 gr fmj by Hornady.

#2 ·
Old steel barrel, FMJ bullet= rapid barrel wear. Granted 100 rounds will not shoot the barrel out but why wear the old soldier. Plus, 300 gr. will not shoot well in a trapdoor. I'd shoot them in a lever action like a Marlin or Winchester.

#4 ·
Hornady s meant for 458W are very tough .Years ago I got some very cheap from a closure.Fired them in an 1871 Henry,and the narrow lands in the rifling were ironed down quite noticably by the hard jackets.Not good in a soft steel/or iron barrel.Regards John.

#5 ·
I do not think that I want to take a chance using the fmj , that saying about something free can cost you . I also saw a youtube video from a guy called Kobe49 saying if it's not the right size ,hot gas blowing around the bullet can even cause damage to the barrel also. Will just stick with my original bullets and stick the fmj's back of shelf might have use for them down the road.

#10 ·
I would avoid using any FMJ in an original Trapdoor.

Also, is there the possibility of excessive pressures using FMJ? I'm thinking that the bullet will be much harder to engrave into the rifling and the pressure will spike.

#11 ·
Depends on how hot you load it with what powder. In general, with suitable loads, probably not. But still won't save the lands.

Trapdoor actions are stronger than many realize - a number of them (at least six I think) were used to do ammo development for the 30-40 Krag back in the early 1890s. Special serial number sequence. None broke as far as I know. One is (or was) in the museum at Fort Sill (back in '64 when I was there for ROTC summer camp). No longer recall the serial, except it was single digit.

#12 ·
Think that this is one case where the bullets are actually harder than the barrel steel. There was an article I believe in the Single Shot Exchange magazine and one of the first things the author mentions is to never ever shoot copper jacketed bullets in a trapdoor springfield as the rifling will go south in less than a hundred rounds. I'm inclined to believe him as his business at the time was selling trapdoors. Don't know how many rounds a Krag barrel is supposed to last but almost saw a guy reduced to tears years before replacement barrels were available for the Krag. Seems he would reload about a hundred rounds and shoot same every week. Nice Krag carbine. Came into a gun shop complaining about accuracy. His alternative at the time was try to find another carbine barrel or have a 1903A3 barrel cut down,rethreaded and chambered. That is why so many shooters who have trapdoors and krags only shoot cast bullets in them. Preserve your trapdoor as there are a few dealers of cast bullets who offer different bullet hardness cast bullets. I used to cast 500 grainers out of wheel weights and pure lead a 50-50 mix. And slug your barrel to find out what your bore dimensions are and size to about .002 over that. Your trapdoor will thank you. Frank

#13 ·
Thanks to all the replies. I all ways enjoyed history and shooting growing up and have grown a pretty good collections of firearms in my life and do not want take a chance of hurting a piece of history . Me and my son plan on shooting them for quite some time still , none of them are collecting dust in the gun safe !. This forum has been a great wealth of information over the years. Thanks again and God bless.

#15 ·
Coppr plated bullets SHOULD be OK, though I know of no tests or experience with them in old guns.

I have used them in some of my modern arms, and the bullets seem to reduce leading and the plating seems to be quite thin and soft.

#16 ·
Think before you get any cast bullets or plated bullets that you should slug your trapdoor barrel first. Common thinking that all 45/70 barrels have basically have the same dimensions. Trapdoors can run all the way to .462. My Ruger #1 starts out at the throat at .459. Actually the Ruger has the rifling starting right at the end of the chamber. Had this one for a bunch of years and no idea if Ruger actually throated their 45/70 barrels with a proper throat. Years back had a 1884 trapdoor and standard .457 cast bullets would give shotgun patterns due to being undersized. Have fun and enjoy the trapdoor. Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.