ROMAK Sniper Rifle

Thread: ROMAK Sniper Rifle

Default ROMAK Sniper Rifle

I would like to sell my Romanian ROMAK Sniper Rifle. I have no idea what it would be worth. There is a Unfired Russian Tiger SVD Dragunov sniper rifle for sale and they are asking $6K for it! I understand the price is so high because it is a Russian model. My ROMAK is in the same condition, new and unfired and comes with scope and accessories. Appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0089.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	2151674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0096.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	2151682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2295.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	273.8 KB 
ID:	2151690
    Bill

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again!

Why is it that 46% of the population which pay NO taxes, complain that those who do pay taxes, are not paying their fair share?

Last one I saw for sale was $1200. That was a few months ago at a gun show.

$1200 to $1500 depending on if you have the accessories and the number of mags that come with it.
    FYI, the PSL is not a sniper rifle, not even close. It is a Designated Marksman Rifle or DMR for short.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I recently sold an identical PSL with 3 magazines numbers to the rifle for $1400.

A quick check of Gunbroker Completed Auctions of PSLs, Romaks, 54Cs, etc. will show you what they are "really" selling for. As stated, a lot will depend on condition and accessories.

The quickest way to tell the difference between what you have and the real snipers is the distance from the rear of the magazine to the front of the trigger guard finger loop.
    Romak/PSL etc..has the mag more or less touching the trigger guard loop, real snipers have a large air gap between the mag and trigger guard.
    There's other differences of course (big ones) but at just a glance you can figure out what you are seeing based on the above.

As said, $1200-$1500 is about the range. As said, look for closed auctions on GunBroker.com for real actual sale prices, not dreams.

These are not a Dragunov design as TIGRs, Russian SVDs and Chinese NDM-86s are, though they look similar and are wrongly called that sometimes.

The action is similar to a Kalashnikov, not an SVD, with a long heavy piston and many other differences, meaning they were built as a designated marksman rifle, not a true sniper.

That said, they are cool rifles, but the many US-assembled versions vary in quality and reliability from great to really poor.

Don't shoot heavy ball ammo in them - stick to the 148 grain stuff they were built for.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalin's Ghost View Post
    The action is similar to a Kalashnikov, not an SVD, with a long heavy piston and many other differences, meaning they were built as a designated marksman rifle, not a true sniper.
    I thought it was the thin barrel profile that made a PSL a DMR and not a sniper rifle, not the action.

Quote Originally Posted by chasdev View Post
    The quickest way to tell the difference between what you have and the real snipers is the distance from the rear of the magazine to the front of the trigger guard finger loop.
    Romak/PSL etc..has the mag more or less touching the trigger guard loop, real snipers have a large air gap between the mag and trigger guard.
    There's other differences of course (big ones) but at just a glance you can figure out what you are seeing based on the above.
    From picture below, it must be a PSL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0095.JPG  

Bill

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again!

Why is it that 46% of the population which pay NO taxes, complain that those who do pay taxes, are not paying their fair share?

It is. It was sold under 4 names I know of romak 3, psl-54c, fpk, or ssg97. They are all the same gun.

A real Dragunov has a special design feature besides the better barrel for accuracy - the designer recognized that the large and heavy piston in Kalashnikovs designs whipped back in the action and led to inaccuracy, so he made the Dragunov design use a very small reduced weight piston to vastly reduce the piston mass displacement as the rifle is fired. The bigger the rifle, the bigger the piston mass wobble, so Dragunov needed to fix it for his new rifle design.

All piston rifles have an actual moving piston slamming rearward very fast as the bullet is trying to exit the barrel, so the Dragunov design was a breakthrough in accuracy for the real SVDs, not shared by the PSL designs which use a long heavy piston like an oversized AK. A PSL looks much like an SVD but isn't the same action.

Real SVDs also have an extremely beefy receiver to avoid flexing under load.There are other differences in bolt design and elsewhere but the gas-driven piston difference is a big one. Some even call the Russian SVD a designated marksman rifle as each squad was supposed to get one, but the dedicated Russian snipers I have met used it as a specialty sniper rifle in Afghanistan.

It has been replaced in some top-end Russian sniper and police use by chassis bolt guns or by upgraded SVDs with all synthetic furniture and a suppressed stiffer barrel.

[QUOTE=Mark75H;6695450]I thought it was the thin barrel profile that made a PSL a DMR and not a sniper rifle, not the action.[

/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Stalin's Ghost; 04-20-2017 at 01:14 AM.