What do you guys make of this 28/30?

Thread: What do you guys make of this 28/30?

Default What do you guys make of this 28/30?

Picked this up today, since any 28/30 is genuinely rare in Canada, but there are some oddities I hoped to run past the forum. The gun came from a trusted friend who definitely didn't mess with the rifle, and he got it from a well known dealer who also would not have messed with the gun, but before the dealer got it, I have no idea of its history, but I'm thinking if came out of CAI in Montreal as they imported most of these guns to Canada.

It's a 1940 gun with a 39 stock, but that's not too worrisome to me. There's no rear shim and the tang impression is well pronounced and belongs to this barelled receiver, so it's been together a really long time - I'm guessing made in early 1940 with a late 1939 stock.

The aluminum bushing is there and in nice shape. The handguard may be an older replacement as it's less beat up than the stock and a darker hue. Bot hte barrel bands are color case hardened and although a little faint, the color case is intact and they have not been blued post-war.

The whole stock is covered in what looks like a french polish or thin lacquer, but the handguard is not coated, it's just got an oil finish of some sort. the stock finish is old and well bruised after being coated. None of the dings, scratches or gouges have lacquer in them, so the stock saw a lot of handling after the finish was applied. I'm thinking Finnish-applied, but happy to hear other opinions.

What's wonky is the floorplate. It's got a Hungarian-made floorplate, which doesn't seem like it could be original (?). Did the Finns ever get hungarian parts at some point? What's also odd is that the bolt matches the receiver in the usual way, but someone struck the hungarian floorplate serial onto the bolt body and the side of the receiver.

I've seen importers "force match" the receiver to other numbers on these guns when imported in the past, though the "4" in the number is an older font you don't usually see in modern number punch sets.

I'm wondering if an importer added the floorplate and then punched that number in a couple other places to make the gun "matching" and thereby more valuable? What do you guys think?

There are no import markings visible on the gun, which is not unusual in Canada. The few of these we have here that have not been personally brought up form the states likely came from CAI when they had office in Montreal and they ddn't bother to import stamp their canadian inventory.

Pics:

Last edited by Claven2; 04-17-2017 at 01:12 PM.

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

My guess is that it was missing parts and someone completed it by using whatever they could find. That shouldn't have Hungarian parts on it.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsean View Post
    My guess is that it was missing parts and someone completed it by using whatever they could find. That shouldn't have Hungarian parts on it.
    That's my concern. I have a spare finn-capture early 91/30 floorplate I may stick on it instead and I'm debating removing the applied serial from the bolt body. It shouldn't be there. It does at least have the correct HV mag.

Not much to be done about the receiver, except live with it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I think you're exactly right. Importer bubba'd and it's a shame. Why couldn't they have renumbered the floorplate?

That's an odd one. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it. I certainly wouldn't grind numbers off of the bolt or receiver. Of course in the USA that number on the receiver would be the firearm's SN for ATF purposes regardless of who put it there. I admit I don't know Canadian serial number practices, but I'm interested in learning.

It certainly is very peculiar that someone would complete the gun with a Hungarian (random) floorplate then match the bolt and receiver to the floorplate SN. Why? It still doesn't match the barrel and the Finn-matched number is still on the ball of the bolt. Not that Bubba, or importers, are necessarily known for brilliance, but that's definitely a head-scratcher. Hungarian application of the numbers seems unlikely, since they use the barrel shank as the primary serial number, like other eastern European nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    That's my concern. I have a spare finn-capture early 91/30 floorplate I may stick on it instead and I'm debating removing the applied serial from the bolt body. It shouldn't be there. It does at least have the correct HV mag.

Not much to be done about the receiver, except live with it.
    Ah come on Claven, that's part of it's charm, there's no point to changing it now. You certainly won't be increasing it's value... How about posting some targets, when you shoot it?

I would not even try to remove the receiver serial number. No worries there. But these Finnish bolts are already pretty roughly ground on the flats, so removing that serial is harmless and easy to do.

I'm not leaving a non-finnish floorplate in the gun when I have a perfectly good one to swap in that is from Finland.

Looks like the work of a Bubba humper to me. I doubt Century would do that and I know the Finns didn't do it. Stamp font looks nothing like one Century has ever used and the stampings are shallow and crooked.
    "You mean to say you don't know me? I'm Antti Rokka. A farmer from the Isthmus. At the moment I sell bullets."

Claven2, my two cents....

* I would have no problem replacing the floorplate, and one from Finland even better

* I would leave the "S/N" on the receiver alone.

* I'm undecided on the bolt. It would really bother me over time and I would probably grind that bad history away.....especially if the rifle was never CG District marked.

Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Claven2, my two cents....

* I would have no problem replacing the floorplate, and one from Finland even better

* I would leave the "S/N" on the receiver alone.

* I'm undecided on the bolt. It would really bother me over time and I would probably grind that bad history away.....especially if the rifle was never CG District marked.

Denny
    It doesn't have any CG district marking on the rifle anywhere, which I understand to be typical for the 1940 rifles.

I tried replacing the floorplate assembly earlier and discovered the latch spring was broken, so I put in a new one and fitted it to the Finn floorplate. I had more than one, so I chose one which has no serial number on it at all, though you can see where one was ground away before the finns re-blued it. So that's fixed.

I'll likely take the errant marking off the bolt. The SN on the receiver is not far different than many Finn receivers that have all sorts of serial number-like stampings on them as part of their history. I wish it were not there, but if that's all that's wrong with it in the end, then that's not too objectionable. It's other wise a nice rifle and "correct" apart from this serial number idiocy.

I just can't imagine why anyone would force match a rifle to a floorplate. Unless it was a dealer or importer trying to recreate their understanding of "finn matching".
    Last edited by Claven2; 04-17-2017 at 08:20 PM.

I'm curious about the 17/20 stamped inside the stock on the left side. I have a M28/30 stamped the same way, and if I recall correctly it has the same numbers. What does it represent?
    "When Stalin says dance, a wise man dances."
    N. Khrushchev in Khrushchev Remembers

I am looking for a pre-war or war-time M38 stock

Quote Originally Posted by learjet60 View Post
    I'm curious about the 17/20 stamped inside the stock on the left side. I have a M28/30 stamped the same way, and if I recall correctly it has the same numbers. What does it represent?
    I just assumed the workshop assembled them in batches of 20 and this marking married up to the barrelled action it was fitted to.

I'm very curious about the inside stock marking as well. I also have an M28/30 stamped this way as well. I sure like to get a definitive answer for this sometime.

If anyone knows where I can locate Finn issue dog collars for this thing, pls pm me and let me know I have a decent canvas 28/30 sling to put on the rifle, but am missing the collars, regrettably.

I have a 1934 28-30 with some dubious issues - I used to see so few 28-30s at gun shows, I snapped it up quickly when I saw it, later I noticed the issues - I sold it, I bought it back a few years later(Thanks HD!). Is it perfect? No. Am I glad I own it? Yes!

If your rifle is really rare in Canada, boy I think I would be tickled to own it.

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    I have a 1934 28-30 with some dubious issues - I used to see so few 28-30s at gun shows, I snapped it up quickly when I saw it, later I noticed the issues - I sold it, I bought it back a few years later(Thanks HD!). Is it perfect? No. Am I glad I own it? Yes!

If your rifle is really rare in Canada, boy I think I would be tickled to own it.

Pahtu.
    Thanks. Apart from the added receiver serial number, this one cane be restored to "correct" with limited effort. I'm lucky I had the parts on hand to do so, in the form of a complete finn floorplate assembly that came off a scrapped finn M91 (scraped years ago due to a bent barrel, warped receiver), and the replacement mag catch.

Here are some quick pics of the new floorplate and the bolt after cleaning it up. I didn;t overdo the bolt flat and make if glass-smooth, I wanted it to look somewhat like my other finn bolts, none of which are overly prettied up, so when I polished it, I didn't take out all the file marks. I think it looks about right compared to some of my better-done "factory" Finn bolts. The original surface on this bolt was pretty roughly ground to begin with, perhaps my worst example of Sako bolt work (!).

I think I'm calling this one done, and I'm not touching the receiver.

No CG district number, but the "S" prefix is there, almost like the factory pre-stamped these so that the district only needed number punches (?).

And the whole rifle in decent lighting. On closer inspection, I'm thinking the stock may not be birch, but ratehr a light european walnut. The handguard is birch and the grain looks very different than the stock. Hard to say for sure. I had an M28/30 nose cap in my parts drawer waiting for the day I would find a 28-30 in Canada that I could afford - lol.

Now to source some Finnish dog collars...