Tikka m91-30s at Classic Firearms

Thread: Tikka m91-30s at Classic Firearms

Default Tikka m91-30s at Classic Firearms

OK, I know; it's the site that can be "unpopular" here, but Classic announced a batch of Tikka m91-30s that will be posted after 12PM. I think there were 20; Good/Cracked to VG, at least one Hex receiver. Different front sight configs; several blade, most globe & post. At least one with the improvised "wings". If I remember correctly, they start at $399 and up.

I was wondering what the price was gonna be on them. I figured they's be like $500 or so
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

They'll always be a empty chair at the gunshows for you buddy.

So which is more desireable with the Tikkas , hex or round receiver?
    Last edited by HogsWild; 04-18-2017 at 11:49 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I believe the rarity (most common to least) goes Hex, Round-Low Wall, Round High wall.

As far as round vs/hex in 1943 vs 1944, Im not too sure.

Someone correct me if Im wrong.
    Last edited by jwc179; 04-18-2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarity

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

Round 1943's were made close to the transition to 1944 serial numbers. Only that last 500 or so of the initial 2000 made. I'm going from memory. Only a few days ago did I check on the running of my survey and discover that I started that list almost or over 10 years ago!

High wall rounds would be the most "rare" as a configuration. The round high wall receiver wasn't used until 41/42 I believe. So the rifles used would have been "fresh" captures on the high wall receiver M30 rifles.

In 44, it's about 55% hex and 45% round. So almost a 50/50 split.

I'll have to run an update on the information collected.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Well, I never even got to see the listing on the site! Site was unavailable at noon, then "Bad Gateway" until about 12:30pm. All gone.

From the video that was available earlier, the ones with the front sight protector wings looked most attractive to me. A local collector had one that I really wanted.....

My hex 1944 is one of my favorite Mosins.
    Now officially collecting Mosin M38s!

Well Gunbroker looks to be a cheaper place to shop anyhow...

'Bill' at Classic in his video states that "these are the rarest of the rare"....I can't remember (getting old); &
    I'm not an expert on Finnish arms, but I'm not buying it; simply as nice Tikka 91/30's were 'available' for less than a Sako M39 right here on our classifieds (I bought 3-4 that I still have) from private sellers for around 250-350 between about 2006-2012...

So, are these as uncommon as Bill makes it sound? -or is he just playing the 'used car salesman' here....?

Seriously wondering...
    Locatian: BFE Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Polytech View Post
    'Bill' at Classic in his video states that "these are the rarest of the rare"....I can't remember (getting old); &
    I'm not an expert on Finnish arms, but I'm not buying it; simply as nice Tikka 91/30's were 'available' for less than a Sako M39 right here on our classifieds (I bought 3-4 that I still have) from private sellers for around 250-350 between about 2006-2012...

So, are these as uncommon as Bill makes it sound? -or is he just playing the 'used car salesman' here....?

Seriously wondering...
    I think he meant they are rare for 91/30's - and even then, I would argue there are rarer 91/30's, like non-sniper poles or hungarians.

Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    I think he meant they are rare for 91/30's - and even then, I would argue there are rarer 91/30's, like non-sniper poles or hungarians.
    Or even the 1946 Izhevsk that Ol' Relic just sold on the trader.

'Bill' at Classic in his video states
    He says whatever he wants without a complete understanding of anything. Dude is a joke but apparently they are selling rifles.

If you can find a Tikka 91/30 ( or an M 91 for that matter ) for the price of an M39 in comparable condition, I would be hard pressed not to grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Iowa View Post
    If you can find a Tikka 91/30 ( or an M 91 for that matter ) for the price of an M39 in comparable condition, I would be hard pressed not to grab it.
    I think for the low production numbers they are underpriced(not Classics prices but in general)But if you think they are worth what a m39 is selling for now you must not be keeping up with there prices.You can still get a like new tikka 91/30 for around 4 bills,and most of them are unissued to like new.M39s in the same condition are selling for 3 times that on gunbroker.Of course now that Classic is hyping them up they might skyrocket as well.

I must be behind the times.

I recently sold a SaKo M39, I should replace it with a Tikka while they are so cheap.
    Last edited by Ken in Iowa; 04-19-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike 76 View Post
    I think for the low production numbers they are underpriced(not Classics prices but in general)But if you think they are worth what a m39 is selling for now you must not be keeping up with there prices.You can still get a like new tikka 91/30 for around 4 bills,and most of them are unissued to like new.M39s in the same condition are selling for 3 times that on gunbroker.Of course now that Classic is hyping them up they might skyrocket as well.
    M39s are not regularly selling for $1,200 anywhere. There have been a few antiques with very nicely figured birch stocks that sold for stupid prices, but those are definitely anomalies. You can regularly find M39s for under $600.

Say what you will about classic but they sold out in minutes ,I did notice that all of them where missing the sling hangers.

I honestly gave it a shot and was going for the good cracked (round reciever) In the hopes of getting the front ear protected sight shown in the video. Also hoping that the stock had a insignificant crack or maybe none at all. Thats a lot of hoping.

Apparently, I was NOT quick enough. The site became super slow and my phone screen locked up. By the time I reached the payment part it was too late.

A round receiver to go with my 43 hex would have been nice.
    The prices seemed fair IMHO.

Default Tikka m91-30s at Classic Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    Say what you will about classic but they sold out in minutes ,I did notice that all of them where missing the sling hangers.
    All they needed was 20 people who are dumb and rich, and the world is filled with dumb, rich people.

I really wish people would stop stealing the sling hangers off of rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Abulg1972 View Post
    M39s are not regularly selling for $1,200 anywhere. There have been a few antiques with very nicely figured birch stocks that sold for stupid prices, but those are definitely anomalies. You can regularly find M39s for under $600.
    I found 22 m39s that have sold in the past 60 days on gun broker for 1000.00+ I would call that regularly.With at least as many in the 8-9 hundred range.It doesn't take one that's really special now to sell for 1200 dollars,just one that looks new.And sure you can find them for under 600.00,for a well used specimen.You can get a stone mint tikka 91/30 for that and still have money left over.

I found 22 m39s that have sold in the past 60 days on gun broker for 1000.00+ I would call that regularly.With at least as many in the 8-9 hundred range.It doesn't take one that's really special now to sell for 1200 dollars,just one that looks new.And sure you can find them for under 600.00,for a well used specimen.You can get a stone mint tikka 91/30 for that and still have money left over.
    And if you were to search all M39 sales - trader, gunbroker, invaluable, proxibid - you'd find that the number selling in the $1,000+ range is a small proportion of sales. At this very moment, there's a pretty nice 1942 Sako in a wartime stock that's been sitting on the trader at $420 for 12 days . . ..

And if you were to search all M39 sales - trader, gunbroker, invaluable, proxibid - you'd find that the number selling in the $1,000+ range is a small proportion of sales. At this very moment, there's a pretty nice 1942 Sako in a wartime stock that's been sitting on the trader at $420 for 12 days . . ..
    My original quote was unissued m39s are selling regularly for 1200 on gunbroker,You come back with they are not selling for that much anywhere.Then I give you the numbers and you say I need to look in other places.

My original quote was unissued m39s are selling regularly for 1200 on gunbroker,You come back with they are not selling for that much anywhere.Then I give you the numbers and you say I need to look in other places.
    You said nothing about unissued M39s. You said M39s in a condition similar to "like new tikka 91/30" - so, you were referring to "like new" M39s. First, there are so few, if any, unissued M39s out there that they aren't even comparable. Second, what does "like new" mean? There are some Tikka M39s, B barreled M39s and some late date/no date - no maker M39s out there that are "like new" because they saw little use, but the vast majority of what's out there are Finn refurbished/brought to new guns. Almost all Tikka M30s (fyi, there's no such thing as a Tikka M91/30) are in very good condition because of when they were made.

You stated that you had found 22 M39s on Gunbroker that sold north of $1,000. What condition were they in? Were they "like new"? Were they antiques? Were they post-war refurbs? Did they have highly figured stocks? You are comparing apples (Tikka M30s to oranges (M39s). There are very different guns, with very different sets of important characteristics that drive price aside from condition.

What I suggested is that if you were to look at all sources of sales - forums, gunbroker, proxibid, invaluable, facebook, etc. - the number of M39s that have sold for $1,000 plus recently, as a percentage of all M39 sales, would be small.

There are lots of dumb, uniformed people with lots of money to blow. Those are the ones buying $1,000 M39s. The rest of us are finding reasonably priced guns.

All they needed was 20 people who are dumb and rich, and the world is filled with dumb, rich people.

I really wish people would stop stealing the sling hangers off of rifles.
    It's possible these rifles were meant to be used with dog collars. Liberty Tree has Finn SA marked canvas slings with leather dog collars that would have been meant for these rifles as well as Soviet rifles used as-is. I have one on the way for an m30 I just bought from a board member, and one without the dog collars on my Tikka m91.

When I think of all these I purchased from Century Arms for $ 50.00 through the years I wish I had them to sell now.

I have a feeling that we will see some new M30 posts soon.

The thread in the survey forum may even see an update. (Hint)

Almost all Tikka M30s (fyi, there's no such thing as a Tikka M91/30)....
    When splitting hairs, neither is exactly correct. In the Finnish Army nomenclature the model 91/30 rifle was originally known as "7,62 kiv/30". Be it Soviet or Finnish, they were all the same. Unofficially, additional word "suomalainen" was used when talking about the Finnish version. More information here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ope-data-added

As to "Tikka", the company name at that time was "Oy Tikkakoski Ab".
    Last edited by CH; 04-21-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CH View Post
    Be it Soviet or Finnish, they were all the same.
    When splitting hairs, that's not an accurate statement. The Finnish M30s had, in many cases, different stocks, different front sigh configurations, different sling slot configurations and sling hangers. They were, for all intents and purposes, the same rifles, but they weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by izzytok46 View Post
    It's possible these rifles were meant to be used with dog collars. Liberty Tree has Finn SA marked canvas slings with leather dog collars that would have been meant for these rifles as well as Soviet rifles used as-is. I have one on the way for an m30 I just bought from a board member, and one without the dog collars on my Tikka m91.
    Anything is possible, but it is highly doubtful that stocks with escutcheon plates were intended to be used with dog collars. Those would have originally had sling hangers. Remember, there were a lot of Finnish guns that had sling slot configurations similar to the Russian guns.

When splitting hairs, that's not an accurate statement. The Finnish M30s had, in many cases, different stocks, different front sigh configurations, different sling slot configurations and sling hangers. They were, for all intents and purposes, the same rifles, but they weren't.
    CH (above), said that in Finland the Terminology was the same for all. He did not say the rifles were all the same. We cannot change what terms were used historically.

Cheers,
    Richard.

I'm afraid stocks, sights and sling slots didn't have much to do regarding what the Army called the rifle. To them they all were the 7,62 kiv/30. As a side note, the SA didn't recognize the Civil Guard m/24 rifle either. They were all treated (and refurbished) like the standard 7,62 kiv/91. The m/28, on the other hand, held its designation which probably explains why they didn't lose as many of their original features during SA refurbs (when completely redoing the rifle) as the m/24.

I'm afraid stocks, sights and sling slots didn't have much do regarding what the Army called the rifle. To them they all were the 7,62 kiv/30. As a side note, the SA didn't recognize the Civil Guard m/24 rifle either. They were all treated (and refurbished) like the standard 7,62 kiv/91.

Sorry - I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

As a side note, the SA didn't recognize the Civil Guard m/24 rifle either.
    I guess I gott back what I started, but you know I couldn't leave this out there. As to "SA", the Army's name was Suomen Armeija.

I guess I gott back what I started, but you know I couldn't leave this out there. As to "SA", the Army's name was Suomen Armeija.
    Sounds collector to me!

But who knows, as this was getting OT maybe I was talking about Sturmabteilung already!

Anything is possible, but it is highly doubtful that stocks with escutcheon plates were intended to be used with dog collars. Those would have originally had sling hangers. Remember, there were a lot of Finnish guns that had sling slot configurations similar to the Russian guns.
    I don't know about the particular rifles Classic just sold, the m30 I have incoming has full length slots, not the plates with a single hole. A sling hangar would just bang around loose in it.

Quote Originally Posted by izzytok46 View Post
    I don't know about the particular rifles Classic just sold, the m30 I have incoming has full length slots, not the plates with a single hole. A sling hangar would just bang around loose in it.
    Take a look at the different stock configurations here. http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9130F.htm

The Tikka M30s that Classic was selling all had escutcheon plates with missing hangers (because people tend to remove and sell them . . . .). A Finn capture M91/30 and a Finn M30 might have any kind of configuration - it all depends on what stock was sitting around when they assembled the gun. I have a Finn capture Izhevsk that's sitting in an Artic birch potbelly stock, but there are lots of rifles out there, like yours, that are sitting in Soviet stocks.

Take a look at the different stock configurations here. http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9130F.htm

The Tikka M30s that Classic was selling all had escutcheon plates with missing hangers (because people tend to remove and sell them . . . .). A Finn capture M91/30 and a Finn M30 might have any kind of configuration - it all depends on what stock was sitting around when they assembled the gun. I have a Finn capture Izhevsk that's sitting in an Artic birch potbelly stock, but there are lots of rifles out there, like yours, that are sitting in Soviet stocks.
    I imagine armorer's had a barrel of hangars and a barrel of dog collar straps and just pulled out whichever was needed

Depends on the M39, I'd say. Some are more common than others, and you won't typically find nice no-maker guns, B guns, Tikkas, or SkY guns with SkY stocks for under $600 anymore.

Depends on the M39, I'd say. Some are more common than others, and you won't typically find nice no-maker guns, B guns, Tikkas, or SkY guns with SkY stocks for under $600 anymore.
    The M39s that have sold for $1,000+ did not sell for that amount because they were "uncommon".

Look, there are people with money to burn who will pay an obscene amount to get what they want. That's totally fine, but that doesn't equate to FMV.

ALL M39s are "uncommon".

The M39s that have sold for $1,000+ did not sell for that amount because they were "uncommon".

Look, there are people with money to burn who will pay an obscene amount to get what they want. That's totally fine, but that doesn't equate to FMV.

ALL M39s are "uncommon".
    The current gunbroker crop are being inflated because:
    1) Antique receivers, so no FFL, no paper trail, and can be easily had for claifornians, etc.
    2) Oten they have nicely figured "flame" stocks. I wouldn't pay more for that, but some will.

Some are also selling at high price due to rarity.

The current gunbroker crop are being inflated because:
    1) Antique receivers, so no FFL, no paper trail, and can be easily had for claifornians, etc.
    2) Oten they have nicely figured "flame" stocks. I wouldn't pay more for that, but some will.

Some are also selling at high price due to rarity.
    People have paid a premium for antique receivers since time started ticking. I have no idea why.

People have paid a premium for antique receivers since time started ticking. I have no idea why.
    Tinfoil hats maybe? Dunno.

From Canadian law, a rifle is antique if it's:

"manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges (whether with a smooth or rifled bore), have a bore diameter of 8.3 mm or greater, measured from land to land in the case of a rifled bore, with the exception of a repeating firearm fed by any type of cartridge magazine;"

So no mosins are antique here. Oh well.

Cool

Seriously wondering...
    This Bill you speak of, I believe Ben is who you are referring to. Ben is commonly regarded on the arpanet as an expert in the field military guns and all things firearms. Although I cannot confirm his credentials, he seems to handle his moeseen naygahnts quite expertly. He fills out those little T shirts pretty well too. Stay tuned for up commig videos.

follow