C&R shipping options
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C&R shipping options

Default C&R shipping options

What options are there to have a shop ship C&R elegible items and be held for pickup at a local fedex, ups, etc?

Any experiences with the carriers and which you would recommend. I had an auto parts package shipped recently to a local FedEx location which wound up rejecting receipt of the package because it was shipped FedEx ground. I had to call them to keep the package from being returned to the vendor and then having to drive the next state over to pick up the package at the FedEx ground facility. Apparently FedEx ground is not FedEx.

I like UPS.

I have the mobile app on my phone, and with an account I get a text notification any time a shipping label I generated to my address. I can then log in, and do things like have it held at a local terminal, etc.

USPS is -ok-, but takes longer, since you basically might miss the first delivery needing a signature, then have to go in the next day to get it.

If you plan to be home on the day of arrival, both work, but UPS is better tracking. Scan in and out of each location, vs just scan in. Makes it easier to find where an article was lost, etc.
    Sent from my Nokia 1020 win 8.1 phone

Are there additional restrictions with revolvers and pistols? Hold for pickup still an option?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hardwired View Post
    Are there additional restrictions with revolvers and pistols? Hold for pickup still an option?
    Hold for pickup always an option.

The shop ( FFL ) shipping shouldn't have any problems shipping.. destination however adds restrictions. Some places treat short guns like modern guns C&R or not.

Again.. the FFL shipping the items should know what he can or can't do.

I just shipped a PU sniper across the country. USPS was a disaster. The woman thought I had to have a FFL to ship a rifle to a FFL. Waited a
    long time while they researched it. Finally gave up & went to UPS customer center. Was done & out in 10 minutes & $7 cheaper than USPS.

One thing.. Dont go to a UPS kiosk/ drop off store, go to a real terminal,

Alabama - Roll Tide! 2009, 2011 & 2012 SEC and National Champs

Quote Originally Posted by soundguy View Post
    One thing.. Dont go to a UPS kiosk/ drop off store, go to a real terminal,
    I tried shipping a stock from one of those stores years ago and they wouldn't take it. Said they didn't handle anything gun related. Ended up drive a couple of miles down the road to another one and told them it was golf clubs and they took it with open arms.
    MEMBER SINCE 08/2004, SILVER STAR MEMBER ON THE ORIGINAL FORUM

The UPS/Mailbox stores are franchised. They are just like going to your local mom and pop Pharmacy to ship something. They have NOTHING to do with UPS the shipping company. Same thing with FedEx/Kinko's.

You want UPS Customer Centers. These are the terminal/hubs.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/lo...3Bsrch_phr=svl

I just had a nightmare at the post office myself and I ALWAYS and ONLY use them to ship long rifles.. well not this time and never again.
    Turns out there are new rules and in addition to proving the rifle is going to a FFL, the shipment MUST go Priority EXPRESS which costs $100 or more!
    Keep in mind this the same PO I've been using and the same clerks I've been talking to for more than a decade.
    Off I went to UPS and while they also now require proof it's going to a FFL, the cost for the same rifle was $46 including $1000 insurance.

Express for a long gun??

That's what they said and they could not be talked down.
    I asked why/when the change and they said they had new rules on paper but would/could not produce a copy for me to read/verify.
    The mood got quite testy and the more I tried to tell them that I knew what I was talking about, the more angry the clerk got.
    Standing in the next line behind the counter was a gentleman who I know from having shipped probably 40 long guns over the years and I appealed to his knowledge but he just looked away and shook his head..so I figured I was screwed no matter what I said and I got gone..

Quote Originally Posted by tc2006 View Post
    I just shipped a PU sniper across the country. USPS was a disaster. The woman thought I had to have a FFL to ship a rifle to a FFL. Waited a
    long time while they researched it. Finally gave up & went to UPS customer center. Was done & out in 10 minutes & $7 cheaper than USPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by chasdev View Post
    I just had a nightmare at the post office myself and I ALWAYS and ONLY use them to ship long rifles.. well not this time and never again.
    Turns out there are new rules and in addition to proving the rifle is going to a FFL, the shipment MUST go Priority EXPRESS which costs $100 or more!
    Keep in mind this the same PO I've been using and the same clerks I've been talking to for more than a decade.
    Off I went to UPS and while they also now require proof it's going to a FFL, the cost for the same rifle was $46 including $1000 insurance.

How did they know it was a rifle you were shipping? I've never been asked, nor do I volunteer it.
    "When Stalin says dance, a wise man dances."
    N. Khrushchev in Khrushchev Remembers

I am looking for a pre-war or war-time M38 stock

Quote Originally Posted by chasdev View Post
    $100? From where to where? I just had someone ship me a long M91 (from GA to PA) for $25 Priority Express.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyears View Post
    $100? From where to where? I just had someone ship me a long M91 (from GA to PA) for $25 Priority Express.
    Where I live, I tell shippers to avoid FedEx like the plague. They suck.

My local post office is a breeze. I tell them I'm shipping a rifle, show them my ffl03 and the recipeints ffl, they make copys of each and done. Once in a while they inspect my packaging to verify that the bolt is wrapped seperate than the rifle (but in the same box). Here fedex and ups want long guns sent overnight because they are ignorant and arrogant. It all depends where you live and how informand the shippers are.

Why does anyone tell the shipper it's a rifle? Why isn't it golf clubs or an antique lamp post? Enlighten me please. Thanks

I have found no substantial difference in Fed Ex and UPS. It probably depends on you local offices, which is more convenient. Since I am never at home at mail delivery times I either pick up a the UPS hub near where I work or pick up at a Fed Ex "retail store." It takes me a few minutes longer at the UPS hub, because the counter clerk always wants to see my new military surplus rifle. (he is also a gun nut) So we step in a back room and inspect it for damage.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2 View Post
    Why does anyone tell the shipper it's a rifle? Why isn't it golf clubs or an antique lamp post? Enlighten me please. Thanks
    Hard to hide when the box is a recycled Winchester box with a firearms logo all over it..besides, I prefer to not turn into a liar if I can help it.
    Been telling the truth (as I see it anyway) for the past 5 or 6 decades and have become addicted to it.
    To answer another (I think) posters comments, UPS did show me the new regulation forcing me to show the destination was to a FFL, the post office guy could not find his hard copy.
    Rifle was going from Austin Tx to Maine, or was it Minnesota, don't remember..I've sold and shipped 9 rifles in the last six weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by I<U View Post
    The UPS/Mailbox stores are franchised. They are just like going to your local mom and pop Pharmacy to ship something. They have NOTHING to do with UPS the shipping company. Same thing with FedEx/Kinko's.
    FedEx bought out Kinko's and renamed them FedEx Office. Unlike the UPS stores they are company owned and will ship guns.

I use an online FedEx account to ship FedEx ground, weight the boxed guns, print my own labels, dump them at the nearest store, no questions ever asked. Even when I shipped ammo with the ORMD stickers on it no questions, none of the BS I got at the UPS customer center until I complained to UPS HQ.

The ATF regs say you have to tell them its a firearm but at Fedex they never ask online or at the store and have no place to record it if they did.

Only problem is with handguns which are cheaper to ship UPS than FedEx because of the different overnight categories.

BTW none of these carriers extra insurance is much good for collectibles as it requires them to verify the cost of a replacement item and usually they wont pay over the basic free insurance. My CollectInsure policy does cover FedEx shipping, however, but only some of the UPS shipping categories.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

A couple of years ago I tried to ship 2 1891 MN's from AZ to TX. 1 a Remington the other a NEW. I took it to a FedEx terminal. They would only ship it over night and wanted almost $300 to ship and insure. Brought it to UPS terminal. Just a little over $70 to ship and insure UPS ground. Besides the price FedEx tracking sucks compared to UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2 View Post
    I shipped in a plain brown box but I told them because I didn't want any rejections in case of a lost package claim.

To add some additional information to the original question, I have had experienced dealers ship by UPS and hold for pickup. Individuals and less experienced dealers refused to address a C&R package any way except to the address on the 03 license. I myself have never shipped a firearm except handguns to a gunsmith and always use FedEx because there is a hub not too far from me. I don't volunteer the contents but she has gotten used to me and always asks if it is a pistol. Her only comment is "I thought so".

I NEVER use an outer box when shipping a long gun that has any gun related markings on it. I do not consider it intelligent to advertise the contents of a box.
    I ship USPS for long guns. I have not shipped in a while, so can not comment on the Priority Express rule. I always use the same lady behind the counter when shipping. I call to make sure she is on duty. She has called superiors in the USPS and knows the rules. I make a copy of the FFL or C&R to whom I am shipping the item. That goes to the USPS lady for her records. She always asks if it is unloaded, but has never open a box to inspect it.

You do have to ship to the address on a ffl03.

Default Here we go again......

Oh dear, oh dear, here we go again with the "you have to ship to the address on the FFL".

Someone made this up, and too many people keep repeating it.

Here is the truth, from the ATF themselves. Check https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...ess-identified

May firearms be shipped to a licensee at an address different from the business premises address identified on the license?

Yes. Neither the GCA nor its implementing regulations require firearms be shipped only to the licensed business premises. Therefore, a licensee may lawfully receive firearms at the licensee’s mailing address, storage location, or other address where the licensee intends to ensure safe and secure receipt of the firearms.
    Last Reviewed September 23, 2016

I always used to receive at my work's address, because they didn't mind as long as I didn't open the package while on their premises, and that way I could "ensure safe and secure receipt". If sent to my FFL (home) address, it would sit in a large cardboard box out in the rain until someone stole it before I got home from work. Yes, even when signature was required.

I wish people would stop trotting out this BS. Easy enough to check before passing on bad information.

I have called my local lady who runs the Post Office and is not afraid of firearms. She had not heard of this rule, but also said no one has shipped any firearms in a long time. She is going to check on the Priority Express requirement for shipping. I was told this is a more expensive way to ship than regular Priority mail, which was how I was shipping long guns.

My local PO used to want a copy of my FFL and as well as the recipients, now they do not want either for long guns, Priority take 2-3 days to deliver, I just wish their regulations said "FFL holder" instead of "dealer" to ship handguns,

UPS is a problem here, the clerk for years now is a 300-pound walking-dead hillary-woman who seems to hate both men and guns, and goes out itz way to cause heartburn, so my low opinion of ups is probably skewed by this,

One reason for originally changing the rules to ship firearms is because the employees were stealing them. I feel it is my responsibility to do what I can to help prevent firearm theft and that is to not tell them what I am shipping. "Don't ask, don't tell" works in other situations!

I've related this experience on another forum but it is not terribly off topic here. About 20+ years ago I sent a Glock pistol to Glock USA(?) for repair. They returned it by UPS about 2 weeks later. Since the UPS driver was a friend who had delivered firearms to my house before and knew that no one would be home in the middle of the day, he delivered it to the local elementary school where my wife was a 2nd grade teacher. The central office notified my wife by PA system that a package for me was left there. She sent a 7 YO boy to the office to pick up the package. There was nothing on the outside of the box to indicate contents. This could only happen in a small town.

She worried about it for years when she found out what the box contained.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYFMT View Post
    I tried shipping a stock from one of those stores years ago and they wouldn't take it. Said they didn't handle anything gun related. Ended up drive a couple of miles down the road to another one and told them it was golf clubs and they took it with open arms.
    There is no longer any question on the online form, nor have I ever been asked what is in a package shipped from a UPS dropoff location.......
    befus

@ chasdev: A buddy of mine is retired from USPS, I emailed him about your experience and the priority express thing. He emailed his sister who works in the Atlanta sort facility. She couldn't find -anything- new.

I think the person st your counter gave you a hard time with no rules backing.

Here is what their district manager replied with. I'm redacting my buddies sisters name:

Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 4:28 PM
    To: Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: RE: Restrictions for mailing guns

432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:
    Mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, all of the provisions of postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, and all other all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms. The following also applies:
    1.The Postal Service may require the mailer to open parcels containing firearms or air guns or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.
    2.Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.
    3.No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms.
    4.Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1-7.
    5.Except for shipments between licensed dealers, manufacturers, or importers, all regulated firearms must be mailed using a USPS product or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery

Quote Originally Posted by befus View Post
    There is no longer any question on the online form, nor have I ever been asked what is in a package shipped from a UPS dropoff location.......
    My local UPS has a sign up that only FFL holders may ship guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyears View Post
    My local UPS has a sign up that only FFL holders may ship guns.
    which of course is not required. Only the receiver needs an FFL...

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
    which of course is not required. Only the receiver needs an FFL...
    Sure. The latter is the law; the former is (misguided) company policy.

From the UPS website.

Shipping Firearms or Ammunition

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
    UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

So spend the few dollars and get a C&R and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by gravityfan View Post
    Oh dear, oh dear, here we go again with the "you have to ship to the address on the FFL".

Someone made this up, and too many people keep repeating it.

Here is the truth, from the ATF themselves. Check https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...ess-identified

May firearms be shipped to a licensee at an address different from the business premises address identified on the license?

Yes. Neither the GCA nor its implementing regulations require firearms be shipped only to the licensed business premises. Therefore, a licensee may lawfully receive firearms at the licensee’s mailing address, storage location, or other address where the licensee intends to ensure safe and secure receipt of the firearms.
    Last Reviewed September 23, 2016

I always used to receive at my work's address, because they didn't mind as long as I didn't open the package while on their premises, and that way I could "ensure safe and secure receipt". If sent to my FFL (home) address, it would sit in a large cardboard box out in the rain until someone stole it before I got home from work. Yes, even when signature was required.

I wish people would stop trotting out this BS. Easy enough to check before passing on bad information.
    And once again a ffl03 is not a liscence issued to a business, it is a curio and relic liscence issued to collectors. NOT for the retail sales.

Business premis is the physics on an 03.

It takes a little common sense to understand I know.. Which is why it baffles most people.

I haven't shipped anything in a while but when I did I used Kinko's. Belongs to FedEx now. No problem. I take it to them they weight it. I pay my money and off it goes. My USPS is good too. I can ship a rifle, no problem. If I ship a handgun I carry their Form 1507(I believe that the correct #) already filled out. Pay my money and off it goes. UPS here is an absolute Nightmare. The last times I went there a District Manager was in town and 100% *******. He wouldn't allow them to ship a rifle unless it was double boxed. They tore my packaged box open and took the rifle out. The guy told me that they would give me a break and manufacture a box for me out of cutting old boxes up. They screwed around with it for about an hour and finally managed to get something to the Dudes satisfaction. After I got out of there I never went back. They DO NOT like to ship guns at UPS here. They see something that looks like one in a box they start shaking.

What baffles me is your spelling and grammer!

Quote Originally Posted by alarmingman View Post
    What baffles me is your spelling and grammer!
    I know this may come as a surprise to you, but some of us browse from phones..phones that have keys smaller than tic-tacs, and very odd predictive text and auto correction that changes words and phrases.

Stooping to calling out common minor spelling issues reveals the state of your character.

Ps, its grammar, not grammer!

Just trying to inject a little humor, never mind, I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by tc2006 View Post
    i too had a little trouble with my USPS but after showing them THEIR rules for shipping long guns, anyone can ship them no FFL needed, they were very nice and never had any trouble with them. go to know them by name and became friends with most of them. good to take little time to show them whats what and who knows may even get them interested in the shooting sport or self protection. i never had any trouble with the ones i shipped but i package to where only thing that could damage my shipment would be if a truck ran over it. i shipped close to 100 or so and never had a package messed up.

now if you ship a pistol non-C&R you have to be a dealer and fill out their paper work. most of the ones i had shipped to me were with UPS and just a few were messed up but that was because the person shipping it to me didn't really care about do a good job of packaging. some were just a rifle put in a box and nothing else. lucky none were broken.

to ship UPS you have to take it to a HUB, not a private owned UPS drop off place. but sometimes things happen and they get through. even had a guy ship me a tin of ammo through USPS. don't know how he did it and box was even broken open on one end so was easy to see what was in there. bad part was he put those peanut foam in there and that stuff was like dust when it got here.

so never say never.
    "Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession."

-George Washington 1732-1799

Quote Originally Posted by soundguy View Post
    @ chasdev: A buddy of mine is retired from USPS, I emailed him about your experience and the priority express thing. He emailed his sister who works in the Atlanta sort facility. She couldn't find -anything- new.

I think the person st your counter gave you a hard time with no rules backing.

Here is what their district manager replied with. I'm redacting my buddies sisters name:

Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 4:28 PM
    To: Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: RE: Restrictions for mailing guns

432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:
    Mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, all of the provisions of postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, and all other all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms. The following also applies:
    1.The Postal Service may require the mailer to open parcels containing firearms or air guns or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.
    2.Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.
    3.No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms.
    4.Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1-7.
    5.Except for shipments between licensed dealers, manufacturers, or importers, all regulated firearms must be mailed using a USPS product or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery
    Thanks! I'm going to print that out and walk my ass back in there and shove it under their noses!

Quote Originally Posted by samnev2 View Post
    A couple of years ago I tried to ship 2 1891 MN's from AZ to TX. 1 a Remington the other a NEW. I took it to a FedEx terminal. They would only ship it over night and wanted almost $300 to ship and insure. Brought it to UPS terminal. Just a little over $70 to ship and insure UPS ground. Besides the price FedEx tracking sucks compared to UPS.
    Your FedEx terminal screwed up. FedEx Ground should have been about 10% cheaper than UPS.

FedEx Ground Tariff Updated April 18, 2017
    Firearms

FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
    If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release, driver release or indirect delivery.
    FedEx Ground cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.
    Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Ground is required to notify FedEx Ground that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
    The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
    The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
    FedEx Ground will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.
    FedEx Ground will not accept for transport handguns, assembled or disassembled.

Lately for me its been "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" as when I first started shipping with FedEx I'd tell the clerk it was a firearm and he'd ignore me, scan in the box and give me a receipt. Their online shipping label maker has no place for inputting firearm information.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast