Bizarre 9x19 case head / headstamp

Thread: Bizarre 9x19 case head / headstamp

Default Bizarre 9x19 case head / headstamp

Found this in a pile of Win 9mm brass at the range. Damaged or defaced base like I have never seen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

Looks like a beat to hell Glock with that odd firing pin indentation.
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).

i am glad it is in nm.
    that is scary
    i just got a 9mm case blown out
    radially in the extractor groove,
    but the primer show no pressure.
    just weird

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Someone dremelled all the ID marks off the headstamp.

Probably CIA because your typical bangers aren't smart enough to do that to obscure ammo ID.

Looking for "Primer Pressure Signs is about the most wasted effort anyone ever engaged in.
    I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.

So much of the case was missing and concave in shape at the base, a good bit of the primer was raised/exposed...but I saw no evidence of gas leakage, etc.

CIA Huh? Is there a market for Spy memorabilia on eBay? 😉
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

There should be ammolab.

After all, the complete LACK of any traceability to that case is obvious evidence of it belonging to some govt. alphabet agency.
    My vote is CIA for the "wet work" folks.

That concavity should have also precluded the case being marked by the Microstamping on the breechface that Commiefornia requires now........., thus CIA doing secret projects in Commiefornia............

On a thought though...... attempting to sell CIA Memorabilia like that online would likely get the seller immediately spotted, traced, and potentially rubbed out (and the case collected), so there may not be much "market" after all.
    I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.

Where in order to get to the South, you have to go north

A casing where something went wrong with the bunter and QC didn't catch it

Default Case head

QC didn't catch it and neither did the guy loading the mag

Shoot enough, you see all kinds of deformed, and defective brass. Defective bullets too. In spite of the QC inspectors, stuff still gets through.
    I've had ammo with reversed primers, no primers...even one with a primer, but no flash hole. When you produce billions of rounds a year...stuff happens.

Speaking of defective, I just loaded a batch of factory 2nd bullets and my group size quintupled. That's the 1st time I've seen that, usually they're just discolored. But from now on, if it doesn't say cosmetic blems only on the package it's not going home with me.

What good does it do to eradicate the headstamp on a 9mm case? What ever it said there is duplicated in millions of other rounds just like it. If you can read the headstamp it doesn't mean you actually have any valuable information.

Besides I bet the FBI labs could still figure out what that headstamp originally said.

"Official Sterile" rounds never had a headstamp. They are produced and procured sans-headstamp.
    "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." --Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

There are remains of "ger" as in "Luger"...not dremelled enough. Maybe just some wannabee trying out if the ammo still works after "anonymisation" ( I would say it is Winchester, anyway...)

Doc AV

Quote Originally Posted by 700PSS Shooter View Post
    "Official Sterile" rounds never had a headstamp. They are produced and procured sans-headstamp.
    If one wanted to be secretive I think you would be a lot better off with a headstamp that said Federal or something else extremely common rather than a rare specially made blank headstamp that screams 'clandestine operation'.

Quote Originally Posted by nonobadog View Post
    What good does it do to eradicate the headstamp on a 9mm case?
    Nothing, nothing at all. i just looked at my plinking/IPSC ammo.
    brass collected at the ranges reloaded couple times, primers in almost all rainbow colors.. headstamps ... couple countries ... not only factories ..
    and i am using examination gloves during reloading. That is lesson learned from BP - too much lead around. so fingerprints may or may not be there ...

Demiled bases are a common sign that the round has been converted to another caliber- with the case of 9 mm conversions to 9 Mak were common- usually done by each reloader who converted them according to his taste -
    however in this case I have never seen one as bad or rough as this and if the is a glock firing pin mark it would pretty much rule this out. The lack of 2 tone coloration caused by exposing new brass after manufacture (dremel, punch, drill etc) lack of scrapes or gouging and the rounding on the the outer edge of part of the rim make me believe the QC guy at the factory needs to cut down on the beer he has for lunch.
    "If it killed em 150 years ago it'll still kill em today !" Response to a question about black powder weapons

Quote Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
    Shoot enough, you see all kinds of deformed, and defective brass. Defective bullets too. In spite of the QC inspectors, stuff still gets through. I've had ammo with reversed primers, no primers...even one with a primer, but no flash hole. When you produce billions of rounds a year...stuff happens.
    In some lots of Berdan primered cases, missing flash holes are quite common, the punches are so thin that they break if the metal alloy of the cases varies.

Too much free time on the tool room has produced some weird headstamps. Finnish words "Merry Christmas" and "Happy birthday" are common among cartridge collectors.