M9135...

Thread: M9135...

Default M9135...

I've searched on the forum but didn't find anything (I'm no search expert BTW) on the M91/35 rifles that were Finnish prototypes prior to the M39. I've looked elsewhere as well for possible photos or if anyone was fortunate enough to acquire one. Does anyone here have one or any additional info other than these existed at one time? They are obviously extremely rare. Or, how about a '39' M39? Thanks,
    Richard

Jaws2, There were at least 5 different types with experimental sights, stocks, and some had a Mauser type safety designed by major A.E. Saloranta. Info from the English summaries from Mr. Palokangas's book Vol 2...also some pictures are shown. Denny

Thanks Denny, I've seen some of those but never a specific known as M91/35. Are you saying your examples were all M91/35's? I've seen a pic of the Mauser type safety I believe on the site here. Have you seen or heard of anyone owning a 1939 or '40' M39? I own a '41' which I'll post in a few days. Thanks for your help.
    Richard

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Following

Jaws2, I don't recall ever seeing a picture of a 1939 dated M39, and sources tell us that only ten samples were made in 1939. Vic's article on M39's on the main site gives a good summary of the role of the M35 test rifles, and there is a little more info that I can extract from Mr. Palokangas's book to tell you about later. The Mauser sights for the m35 were designated the LS-35, and these were different than the earlier trial units developed by Lahti and Saloranta and manufactured in the VKT factory around 1929 and 1930 for the M27. These earlier sights were all rejected due to metal fatigue resulting from incorrect heat treatment. Prior to the development of the LS-35 Mauser safety Salornata developed another type designated the S/31. In short there were a number of these Mauser Safeties, and in a recent post 'alsky' posted several pics of bolt assemblies with variations these safeties......unfortunately I don't know what specific type they are. Denny