Finnish Carcano I found....

Thread: Finnish Carcano I found....

Default Finnish Carcano I found....

Ok, I know this should be in the Italian section, but last post I put in there went like a month before anyone replied. I figured since this one I seen is SA marked you finn experts should be able to help me.

I'm off on vacation out here in VA (not telling you hounds where) Anyways, visited a nice military gunshop I frequent when here, and while their prices are normally retail or higher (M39s are $475-$600, and a typical 28/30 was $700) Anyways, I spotted a nice 91/38 7.35 carcano, and in my lookings of the barrel marks I seen a small little boxed SA. They have it priced at $229. Looks almost like new, and has the big round 1 1/2" rondel on the butt. I believe the bore in it was almost excellent as well. Only thing is it has a strait bolt in it, which isn't right I don't think? but I can get a bent carcano bolt with no trouble assuming they are the same between 6.5, and 7.35?? I don't really like the fact it's in 7.35, as ammo is a bear, and I'm only set up to load 6.5 carcano....

I don't have a Finn carcano in my collection, but I do have a regular M41 carcano. Kinda would like to have a long M91 carcano, but the 1896 Terni they have at this shop is $329, and it has been refurbed in 1947, so I'm passing on it.

So is that a decent price, or should I just save the credit card the mercy of being swiped and the C&R in the wallet
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

They'll always be a empty chair at the gunshows for you buddy.

That's a really good price imo, based on your description of condition. I'd grab it if it were me.

That's actually not an unreasonable price. See if you can get them down to $225 OTD! I don't believe the straight bolt handle is correct, you could possibly use that as leverage.
    Better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it...

"The politics of failure have failed!" -Kang

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Shouldnt have a straight bolt, but thats a decent price all the same.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I talked to zeebill last night, and I do think it is a reasonable price, but I won't be doing much shooting with it that is for sure, as I did the research, and it's gonna cost me about $1 a round to load it, not to mention cost of the dies to reload it with...... I won't shoot the old stuff, as it is all Click....Bang, or no bang at all.

So now I'm torn
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

Quote Originally Posted by joe7170 View Post
    Yeah, I talked to zeebill last night, and I do think it is a reasonable price, but I won't be doing much shooting with it that is for sure, as I did the research, and it's gonna cost me about $1 a round to load it, not to mention cost of the dies to reload it with...... I won't shoot the old stuff, as it is all Click....Bang, or no bang at all.

So now I'm torn
    Ever consider cast bullets? I have a prebubbaed M38 (stamped SA, IIRC most of them are) which I scoped and it is deadly with Lyman 300136 mold, 150 grain cast at just under 2,000 fps.

Attachment 2159506

Quote Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL View Post
    Ever consider cast bullets? I have a prebubbaed M38 (stamped SA, IIRC most of them are) which I scoped and it is deadly with Lyman 300136 mold, 150 grain cast at just under 2,000 fps.

Attachment 2159506

I have thought about it, but that's alot more things to invest in! Hornady does sell the .300 bullets for 7.35, but they are .24 a bullet. Cases are .67 each as well.

Still debating
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

If you don't, i've been after one

I have thought about it, but that's alot more things to invest in! Hornady does sell the .300 bullets for 7.35, but they are .24 a bullet. Cases are .67 each as well.

Still debating
    There is a board member, name is something like "8mm man" but I can't remember exactly how that's spelled. He had a lot of pulled surplus bullets for 7.35, I bought a couple hundred from him. The Hornady bullets are hard to find, I've never seen them in stock and dabbled with the idea of resizing .311 AK bullets

Quote Originally Posted by izzytok46 View Post
    There is a board member, name is something like "8mm man" but I can't remember exactly how that's spelled. He had a lot of pulled surplus bullets for 7.35, I bought a couple hundred from him. The Hornady bullets are hard to find, I've never seen them in stock and dabbled with the idea of resizing .311 AK bullets

Grafs has them. I might try to look 8mm man up.....
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

Quote Originally Posted by izzytok46 View Post
    I bought the rest he had I could probably be convinced to part with a couple hundred. I have a casting set up to so I have no shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by Krieger82 View Post
    I bought the rest he had I could probably be convinced to part with a couple hundred. I have a casting set up to so I have no shortage.

I'm gonna go back and look at the rifle here shortly, will let you know I might buy a hundred off of you in the near future!

Gotta go see about the rifle first!!
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

Ok guys i picked it up! It had a bent bolt, and more markings than i remember! Here's 2 pics till i get home saturday....

Bore looks great, shines and strong rifling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170420_152521_1492717460388.jpg   20170420_152512_1492717510249.jpg  

Looks in order. Small crack in the handguard you might want to do some preventative maintenance to, but looks good. What is that weird stamp slathered over the top of the Terni stamp, I cant quite make it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Krieger82 View Post
    Looks in order. Small crack in the handguard you might want to do some preventative maintenance to, but looks good. What is that weird stamp slathered over the top of the Terni stamp, I cant quite make it out.

Not sure if your being sarcastic?? the stamp on the TERNI, is a double struck upside down SA

Also, it has the fascist year of 1939 on it, but also has a 1930 on it too, so I think this barrel was recycled, and reamed out to 7.35?? I know pics suck, but I'm in a condo here, and gun is hiding in the vehicle in parking garage!

Yeah, I seen the hand guard crack, it's not bad at all, will look at it and may use some super glue on it.
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

Not sure if your being sarcastic?? the stamp on the TERNI, is a double struck upside down SA

Also, it has the fascist year of 1939 on it, but also has a 1930 on it too, so I think this barrel was recycled, and reamed out to 7.35?? I know pics suck, but I'm in a condo here, and gun is hiding in the vehicle in parking garage!

Yeah, I seen the hand guard crack, it's not bad at all, will look at it and may use some super glue on it.
    Not sarcastic, just couldn't tell what it was because I saw the proper struck SA, and yeah, it is likely a recycled barrel. They did that alot. Good find. Let me know if you want some of those bullets. I have to run a few of them through a sizer because they were slightly deformed by pulling and proved to be a bear to load.

Will do on bullets. Let me get home and get things squared away, and I'll shoot you a PM in a week or so.
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

Ok guys, I made it home from the beach, and got some pics of the carcano! I made a post over in the Italian section with the pics!

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...06#post6715306
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14