No1 MkI 1905 BSA

Thread: No1 MkI 1905 BSA

Default No1 MkI 1905 BSA

My favorite SMLE with cutoff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 - BSA No1 Mk1 1905 2104_77620 SMLE-post.jpg  

Seems to be in exceptional condition. Thanks for the photos.

The MkI variant ShtLEs are favorites of mine too. Looks like you have a nice one. Is it an Irish rifle? It's got some later features (MkIII nosecap, 1909 or later forestock to name a couple) that would seem to point to that, but Fritz would know better than I would. Any chance of more pics?
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." --- Samuel Adams

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

What is the easiest way to tell a Mk111 forend from those photos? I know the front handguard differs and inner band is in a different spot.
    Nice rifle, love the early stuff.

The hole for the inner barrel band.
    In a Mk.1 it is hidden under the outer band, on a Mk.III it is exposed.
    But that does not preclude someone drilling a new hole in an early forewood for the later Mk.

Another thing is the cut outs to fit the sight protector to the MkIII foreend.
    .....if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck, but enough people call it a chicken, then it will be a chicken!

think about it...

So why is this a 1909 or later for end?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Anthony View Post
    So why is this a 1909 or later for end?
    Good question, I hadn't read that post...
    .....if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck, but enough people call it a chicken, then it will be a chicken!

think about it...

The retaining pin in front of the outer band isn't there. That was deleted by LoC 149xx (sorry, can't remember the last two digits) in Nov '09. Other than that, the fore end appears to be a MkI type...I don't see any repairs where the normal MkIII cutouts (back sight protector and charger bridge) would be. Thus I'm hoping for some detail shots.

IIRC...the replacement of the pin/washer arrangement by threaded rod/wire at the aft end of the fore end also post-dates 1905 as well (1907, I think)...but that one I'm not really sure about.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." --- Samuel Adams

Another nice rifle. I have one very similar (not as clean) with the same leather sling.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Mosin Fanboy

jms: very nice rifle. I've only managed to snag two Mk I's in years of collecting. Wish there were more around. The rear sight base on yours appears to have the Mk VII ramp profile which would mean upgrade to Mk I*** status, I believe. What is marked on the left cheek?

Ruprecht

Default early Mark 1*** fore-end

I noticed that the serial number will be behind the stacking swivel.

Also the rear fore-end pin will be secured with a small brass washer on each side

Early will not have the HV or SC and lower rear sight leaf

there are a number of differences but parts do get changed aroundClick image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn0208_0051.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	2159954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn0209_0052.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	365.1 KB 
ID:	2159962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn0221_0057.jpg 
Size:	361.3 KB 
ID:	2159970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2092.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	2159978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2091.jpg 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	2159986

Good stuff. That first picture seems to indicate that my memory isn't totally gone. My 1907 dated MkI*** has got the later threaded rod rather than the pin/washer arrangement shown on the 1906 example.

The *** does not mean converted to HV, the HV does but the *** does related to Mk1s converted to HV but it is the addition of a blade front sight & the rear V notch being converted to a U notch, the numbering of forends & nosecaps was approved around 1907 so early Mk1 were un-numbered but of course many were later retro stamped.

So they continued making Mk1 forends well after the introduction of Mk111 rifles? Suppose they had to to keep them serviceable? Should early nose caps just have the manufacturers stamp on the bayonet boss? Thanks for the answers so far.

I've seen a MkI*** rifle dated as late as 1911.

What is the easiest way to tell a Mk111 forend from those photos?
    I think the easiest way is to see a step down in the timber from the outer band going to the nose cap on a mk1 ,the mk111 has no step and is the same all the way along

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

I have a ConD 11 done in 1905. It has a Mk 1 forend with a pin in front of outer band, but has a numbered forend, (matching), threaded pin at rear of forend and a numbered nosecap that has been xxxxx out like the receiver and bolt. Would this mean that the timber and nose are replacements since 1905, as it seem the forend and nose caps were not numbered till about 1907?
    Nit picking a bit, but just interests me.

I think I get the Mk1 , Mk111 wood difference. I was just confused with the opening post photo, looked like a Mk1 forend, but jrhead said 1909 forend. I now know they made Mk1's up till at least 1911. I started off thinking 1909 meant Mk111. Thanks all...