I'm stumped! Need help ID'ing a mount. ( and confused )

Thread: I'm stumped! Need help ID'ing a mount. ( and confused )

frown I'm stumped! Need help ID'ing a mount. ( and confused )

I recently came across a nice Meopta Lovec 4x...She is in great shape mechanically (everything works properly)!

The glass is almost perfect...amazing glass for an older scope! So, what is stumping me is the mounting system.
    I can't ID the specific "type"/manufacturer of the mount. It's a double claw foot, but by who?
    I've since cleaned the exterior.
    Wassen ss type? that's probably wrong... : (

I would love to know more about this scope...in what city (if possible ) it was made.
    What year? pre-WW2? During? or post WW2? Is there a website I could go learn from?
    I just don't know German scopes well enough. Has standard 3 post reticle. (vertical post has a, pointed, upside down "V" tip).
    I'm not 100% sure of EXACTLY what I have...some help please!
    This thing is built like a tank!

Biggest question...Where do I find base plates? real or repo to mount to a Mauser.
    I don't even know what I'm really looking for...I'm just getting frustrated. So MUCH stuff on internet to sort thru! ARRGHH!
    Been over at Military firearms forum for a while...picked up the mil-surp itis bug...damn. combined with the CZ bug..not good! Will post same question over there.

I know this is little help but the scope is Czech made.
    Perhaps the good folks over on the sniper forum would know something..

Yes, I'm familiar with Meopta! They make great glass for a lot of the high end scope manufacturers! That is why I purchased the scope...Now I just need to learn about the mounts and find, or have some fabricated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The Mounts are also Czech made and of civilian/hunting origin . These Rings are very similar to the SS Double Type Mounts one of most prevalent differences is the shorter height of these compared to SSDC Mounts .

Judging on how close together the rings are probably came off a Drilling Double. Also why the rings are low, no need to clear bolt. Might try Ebay or Gunbroker for either real or repro bases (you'll probably have to buy whole set). I am sure will need to be fit and, as Dave mentions, still may be too low for a bolt gun. Skid

I have the 98K that goes to. are interested in selling the scope?

Sorry Richard, not selling this beauty! You are the second person today to offer to purchase the scope!
    I'm going to work towards getting all the pieces together...

Question; did the Czech's put together a VZ24 sniper rifle with the high turret style scope mounts? (like K98 style)

I know that some of the Romanian contract vz24 rifles were converted into snipers rifles via those high profile IOR one piece mounts....

Since the original Romanian IOR high style mounts are not to be found (unobtainium);
    and I've spent numerous nights grinding away on the internet looking for one of those Indian repro units (with no luck),
    I'm thinking that I may HAVE go the high turret route with a VZ24 candidate rifle.

I believe that combo is one that did happen, if VERY rarely. Could be wrong on that matter.
    Darn it, now I have to go find that pic again!

Unless somebody can point me towards those repo Indian version of the Romanian high mounts...

I'm still holding out hope that I can find the proper mounting plates to go with this mount....then I don't have to mess with the existing rings!

Went to a local small gun show here in my neck of the woods.
    It was a small gun show that is put on every month by a local Mil-Surp club! There were a lot of old timers that knew their stuff!
    I was able to confirm that the scope is authentic (YES!) and that the scope is definitely of WW2, if not, just after (YES!)

Several that looked through the scope were impressed with the clarity and the fact that all of the post were in excellent shape. (works for me!)
    One fellow took one look through the scope and offered me $100 more than I paid for it!
    So, I think that I have well with this purchase.

NEW INFO...my contact over in CZ land tells me that the scope is from 1945 ish; most likely 1945-1946...since the logo reads "meopta".
    Otherwise, It is almost exactly like the "Lovec 4x" of war time.

Does the German word "Schutzen" or "Schuetzen" ring any bells for you folks?
    One fellow suggested that I research those two words on Ebay for the mounts/bases that I'm looking for. Am I on to something?
    Or is that line of research a wild goose chase in ya'lls opinion?
    Last edited by francqua; 04-24-2017 at 02:21 AM.