Sporterized CG-63 stock

Thread: Sporterized CG-63 stock

Default Sporterized CG-63 stock

I have a sporterized CG-63 stock and was wondering if the glass bedding was done in Sweden or by someone here in the states?. I'll have to relieve the bedding slightly where the recoil lug is. At present my barreled 1896 action won't fit due to the tightness of the bedding at the recoil lug. Many years ago when these rifles were considerably cheaper had the barrel cut to 24" drilled and tapped for scope bases and bolt handle altered for use with a scope. My eyes aren't getting any younger and need all the help I can get. Thanks for any help you can provide. Frank

I don't know how one could tell where a bedding job was done on a sporter??
    I would recommend grinding back the old bedding a bit and re-bedding to your action.

Try greasing the lug...and pressing or heavy rubber hammer streight down not tipping action in a support.
    If it came out of it?
    Or if your trying to put a different one in?
    Should be so close it would fit any action.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I really can't help on where bedding was done. I know that the bed is fit individually. In other words you cannot simply take the action from a rifle thats bedded and place a different action into the stock. It will not fit. You will have to fit it again! Believe me I know! I bought a CG-80 Stock from a board member. I put it on my Heavy barreled CG-63. About 5 hours of fitting!

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Try greasing the lug...and pressing or heavy rubber hammer streight down not tipping action in a support.
    If that don't work, get a bigger hammer right??

Most actions are near enought to be replaced by the same type action...96 to 96 with effort.
    Barrels little more out of round.

Thank you all for your information. Knew getting the sporterized stock with the glass bedding wouldn't be a drop in. Sounds like I need to dig out the compound cross slide vise and bolt it down to the drill press table and find my stash of small end mills. Again thanks very much. Frank