Help with a sword

Thread: Help with a sword

Default Help with a sword

I picked this sword up a while ago with no story (unlike the vet bring back that I posted before). My gut tells me it is not correct based on

1) the handle wrap seems new but the ray skin beneath seems old

2) the hamon looks different than on my confirmed "good" sword

3) the blade is long 35 inches

4) writing on just one side of the tang

5) blade is not very sharp but maybe it was just never final polished?

If anyone can opine and tell me what the writing is I would appreciate it very much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5534_1492728615358.jpg  

IMG_5535_1492728639598.jpg  

IMG_5536_1492728706279.jpg  

IMG_5537_1492728728429.jpg  

Dude! Good intuition! I can't read smith names, so maybe someone will chime in on that, but EVERYTHING is off about this one, sorry to say.

1. Kanji looks like it was melted in rather than stamped with a tool
    2. mekugi ana (hole in tang) is in wrong position
    3. That Hamon!!!! Ahhhh!
    4. Tsuba (handguard) is all wrong, as are the menugi (3 flower emblem under ito) and handle parts
    5. ALL the metal fittings on the saya are wrong.

I'll say it's better to have than those dime-store replicas people like to buy and put in the basement, but it's not a legit WWII Type 98 gunto.
    Bruce

The sword And fittings are not Japanese as you noted. The writing is Naga? Akimune Saku and is poorly done as with everything else on this piece.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

It's probably a Chinese made fake, does the hibaki have a serial number stamped into it ?

some of the things you based your conclusion on are not correct.

blade lenght: there is no standard blade lenght, lenght was made according to the size of the owner.
    writing only on one side: a blade has only writing on both sides if they are dated, signature on one side date on the other.
    blade is not very sharp: not all 100 year old blades are razor sharp.
    hamon not like your other sword: any idea how many different styles of waves there are in existance?

and the claim from Bruce is wrong too: enlarge the picture, you can clearly see the strokes of the chisel in the signature

Quote Originally Posted by roadmouse View Post
    some of the things you based your conclusion on are not correct.

blade lenght: there is no standard blade lenght, lenght was made according to the size of the owner.
    writing only on one side: a blade has only writing on both sides if they are dated, signature on one side date on the other.
    blade is not very sharp: not all 100 year old blades are razor sharp.
    hamon not like your other sword: any idea how many different styles of waves there are in existance?

and the claim from Bruce is wrong too: enlarge the picture, you can clearly see the strokes of the chisel in the signature
    +100%

This is a fake, but it's not the blade length, or where the Mei is signed, or how sharp or dull of the edge, or the combination of all these that determine it's a fake. This one is a fake, because everything is made wrong.

The most glaring feature to me is the position of the mekugi-ana, the hole for the retention peg. It is waaay off. Fake!

Thanks as always for the great and useful information. Luckily my instincts were right although my specific reasons were wrong. Admittedly I don't know Japanese swords which is why I assumed this to not be correct and got it assuming it was appropriate for a decorative piece. However, I never knew for sure until now.

As an aside, I just terrible need from Japan and while there went to the museum as well as a high end sword shop in ginza. Talk about some amazing pieces!!!!!