Finnish Carcano?

Thread: Finnish Carcano?

Default Finnish Carcano?

I picked up a handsome Carcano yesterday that on first blush appears to be a 91/28, based on the stock.

Serial no. B37XX, BRESCIA, 1898 with PO on the lower right of the hex. Carbine (short) sight numbered to 15. No identifying marks on the stock (haven't taken it apart yet to look under the hood), but there are really tiny SA stamps (not much bigger than the mint mark on a coin) on the top of the receiver and the bolt. Nothing at all the size of ones I've seen on Mosins, but I'm not very knowledgable on the Finnish/Carcano front.

It's got dual sling loops (one on the L side butt, and one on the bottom) and the front band has a side and bottom loop. It has a bent bolt. Tall front sight looks like someone may have epoxied back in place. I'm not even positive it's a 6.5!

It actually seems a lot like the Model 1891 T.S. Moschetto Modello 91 per Truppe Speciali Tomjohn described in a thread from late March, but I just don't know. The picture's not the best, but the SA mark is on the bolt handle where it meets the body, and the other one's the most forward of the two marks on the receiver.
    Anyone got an idea what I have or is it just a mixmaster of parts? There's no import mark on the exposed metal or wood.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170420_190608693[1].jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	366.5 KB 
ID:	2160802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170420_190553963_HDR[1].jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	347.4 KB 
ID:	2160810

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge...

...James

It's an M91TS upgraded to M91/28 configuration. The small letters you see have nothing to do with Finland - they're inspector marks. Finland bought only M38 short rifles in 7,35 caliber.

You've an uncommon one - few antique M91TS survived the various conflicts. PO is the steel vendor - Poldi in what's now Czech Republic.

The caliber is indeed 6,5. SW
    Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most.

Thank you, my friend!

That's what I love about this board...people who love guns helping people who love guns.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, the Finn property markings should be around 1/4" square boxed SA. I just picked up a very nice m38 carcano yesterday that is a Finn property gun in 7.35. See my post here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...arcano-I-found

Pics are still few, but theres a good shot of the boxed SA mark.
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

They'll always be a empty chair at the gunshows for you buddy.

That's the sort of SA mark I was looking for, but I wanted to be sure since Carcanos are a newer topic for me...with a LOT of variations!

I think the only rifles the Finns got were M38's in 7.35. They never got any in 6.5 I am aware of. A M38 without a SA is rarer than one with a SA.
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

They'll always be a empty chair at the gunshows for you buddy.