Whattsit???? Grenade

Thread: Whattsit???? Grenade

Default Whattsit???? Grenade

All i know is that it is inert and came out of Eastern Europe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Hi, it looks to be a RPG43 Anti Tank grenade - http://www.inert-ord.net/russ02i/rpg43/

Thank you! Something else for the shelf in the study.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Hate to have to try to get close enough to a tank to make one of those effective. But hard times make for hard answers. Classmate at A&M fled Hungary at age 14 or 15 after being involved with the 1957 Hungarian Revolution. He said it was best to get on the third floor and throw grenades or Molotovs into open hatches, or if the sucker was buttoned up, Molotovs on the engine air intakes. He didn't like Russians, or Commies of any sort at all.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Hate to have to try to get close enough to a tank to make one of those effective. But hard times make for hard answers. Classmate at A&M fled Hungary at age 14 or 15 after being involved with the 1957 Hungarian Revolution. He said it was best to get on the third floor and throw grenades or Molotovs into open hatches, or if the sucker was buttoned up, Molotovs on the engine air intakes. He didn't like Russians, or Commies of any sort at all.
    Once all the infantry goes to ground the tank has to get close to fight them. Then these weapons are useful.
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by David Murvihill View Post
    Once all the infantry goes to ground the tank has to get close to fight them. Then these weapons are useful.
    Indeed. "Then these weapons are useful". Which is one of the reasons a tanker wants infantry to accompany them in action...

I took part in Gulf War I in 2001 and some of my friends demining the Koweiti shores told me that these AT grenades had been found in Kuweit especially near the bridges.
    I guess the Iraki soldiers were supposed to be throwing them on the US M1 Abrahams tanks passing under the bridge.

Moblotaire (from France)
    I am an international Gunboards patron

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Indeed. "Then these weapons are useful". Which is one of the reasons a tanker wants infantry to accompany them in action...
    ...and the reason the defenders ignore the tank and try to suppress the infantry. Better to have a nice AT gun or tank destroyer nearby.
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by David Murvihill View Post
    ...and the reason the defenders ignore the tank and try to suppress the infantry. Better to have a nice AT gun or tank destroyer nearby.
    Indeed. In the old days (WWII, Korea, say), people liked to have the tanks find themselves in a "PAK Front", where A/T guns with at least the range of the tank's main gun were waiting, emplaced, dialed in and ready. Really nice if (as was the case in North Africa until the Grants arrived from the US) you were Germans and faced tanks with piercing guns and the PAK Front was 88s...

Now, with lots of ATGMs around, tanks are at greater risk from infantry than they once were.

I had one similar to this, taken from a dead VC-it had several tiny holes in it from where a claymore got him.

It was all metal and had spring loaded striker behind a shaped charge.
    Theory was you pulled the pin and whipped it at a tank.
    The handle came away and a parachute popped out to stabilize the thing so it hit flat against the target.
    Don't know what crackpot designed this or worse, who accepted it into inventory.

No way I could have chucked that monstrosity over 10 feet.
    No Viet could have made it half that far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RKG-3_hand_grenade_Navy.jpg  

Yes, this is an RPG43 and the damned thing is far from an effective close range AT weapon. First, few guys can throw it far enough. Then, one can be very careful to throw it nicely so it will not rotate too much otherwise it will not hit the armor plate at the right angle. Then one has to aim for a thin armored spot and be able to hit it. As a tanker I was and I am not afraid of these things. Molotovs are quite an other thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheniloiu View Post
    Yes, this is an RPG43 and the damned thing is far from an effective close range AT weapon. First, few guys can throw it far enough. Then, one can be very careful to throw it nicely so it will not rotate too much otherwise it will not hit the armor plate at the right angle. Then one has to aim for a thin armored spot and be able to hit it. As a tanker I was and I am not afraid of these things. Molotovs are quite an other thing!
    Suspect one would work well enough dropped/thrown from a third story window as Andy advocated. Tanks are thinner on top and I wouldn't want to be inside when one went off on top of the turret...

He apparently REALLY liked getting a grenade or Molotov into an open hatch (did I mention he hated Commies of any sort and Russkies especially?)...