30.06 brass to 7.5 Swiss

Thread: 30.06 brass to 7.5 Swiss

Default 30.06 brass to 7.5 Swiss

People have said I am crazy. And on the side of sanity, I have ordered 7.5 Swiss brass from Midway.
    I posted a while back to see if anyone else has tried to make 7.5 Swiss from 30.06 brass. I asked and got some good feedback from my previous post. Here is the results of using 30.06 brass to make low pressure cast bullet loads for 7.5 swiss.
    First trimmed, full length sized, then fire formed 30.06 brass with about 8-10 gr Unique (UNQ) and a 170 cast lead flat nose (LFN) bullet. Had to ream inner rim well to seat bullets. Found out on initial test firing that commercial brass is too thin at base to allow for expansion. I have used Korean and Greek surplus brass to make these rounds. see rounds comparisons.
    It was recommended to use Alliant 2400, but I could not find any in town, so I used my old favorite, Unique. It was also recommend to increase primer hole t #39 drill, but I have not tried that yet. Cast bullets were Lee 170 .308 FN and 185 .312 RN with gas check and sized to .308. Lube was Alox.
    Rim is definitely smaller, but have not had any ejection failures. I wanted to test case life, so I reloaded two casings (one Korean, one Greek) again and again. Each time I full length resized. So far, I have shot them 10x and have only re-trimmed once.
    I found that 12.0 gr. with the 185 LRN ( which weighs about 190 with gas check) is mild recoil and was the most accurate of my test from 10.0gr UNQ to 14.0gr. After 13.6 gr, primers started to flatten and back out. Safety wise 12.0 gr is best in my K31. see target.

Cost Analysis
    wheel weights $1/lb, gas check $30/1000, CCI large primer $5/100, Unique $30/lb, makes it about 16 cents a round.

With 170 LFN found that appox. 13.0 gr UNQ was mild and accurate at 50 yds. Another sweet spot appears at 15.0 to 15.5gr UNQ. see target. Will have to see if accuracy holds up at 100 yards.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.5 comparison.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	2161178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schmidt target.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	375.9 KB 
ID:	2161186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.5 swiss 178 gr LFN.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	334.7 KB 
ID:	2161194

I tried to make 7.5 MAS brass out of 6.5X55 brass and found the size miss match too great so I made the 7.5 MAS out of 7.5X55.
    I would never try to make 7.5X55 brass out of 30-06 brass. You are talking about .010 per side clearance that the brass has to stretch to fit.
    My preference is less than .003 on a side.

buy some 7.5x55 brass
    buy some 284 win and neck it up
    reprime gp11 brass
    shoot rifles at 100 yards..even with cast boolits
    ( i did a run of custom lee molds for a 160 for the k31,
    they are not 300/308 bores, more like 296/306)
    buy some wolf shoot it and start from there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Drill the berdan primer out and swag it in place to create a boxer primer pocket
    drill a centered flash hole
    I've also seen refrigeration tubing used to down size the primer pocket on berdan cases
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinitis View Post
    Drill the berdan primer out and swag it in place to create a boxer primer pocket
    drill a centered flash hole
    I've also seen refrigeration tubing used to down size the primer pocket on berdan cases
    I was planning on trying this, but ran into some real difficulties when I found the primer cup does not usually reach all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket.

You would need to put some sort of swaged full length bushing in the existing pocket and use Small Rifle primers, or enlarge the pocket diameter and install a larger swaged bushing to use Large Rifle primers.

This, or try to convince somebody out there to start making 'Super Boxer' primers with a .217" diameter. (I can dream, can't I?)

I am all for salvaging brass 30'06 to 7.5 swiss, but as with 7.7 jap there is new clean brass available, considering the time and effort to convert literally it pays for the new brass.

yep in the 70s-80s we converted brass especially 7.7 jap from berdan to boxer, it was the only way then. but now there is another option NEW BRASS
    former member of the society of east german militaria collectors

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post
    I am all for salvaging brass 30'06 to 7.5 swiss, but as with 7.7 jap there is new clean brass available, considering the time and effort to convert literally it pays for the new brass.

yep in the 70s-80s we converted brass especially 7.7 jap from berdan to boxer, it was the only way then. but now there is another option NEW BRASS
    Yup.

LITS.

tac
    I am an international Gunboards patron