Gunboards Forums banner

Excellent Movie on Russian Sniper Lyudmila Pavilchecnko

4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  trooper2899 
#1 · (Edited)
If you have Amazon Prime you should watch the movie The Battle for Sevastopol. It's about the famous Russian female sniper Lyudmila Pavilchecnko who claimed 309 kills. I liked it more than the very similar Enemy At The Gates and recommend it highly to the forum

There were many interesting scenes for collectors of Russian rifles such as when Pavilchecnko was presented with a Tokarev sniper rifle as a prize for killing so many Fascists. It was one of only a few glaring errors in the arms and equipment used in the film that the scope on the SVT 40 was not proper. It had a much longer tube than the ordinary PU style scope and appeared similar to the rare six power variant that Vic has posted here.

Another interesting scene was when Pavilchecnko's superior and sniper mate advised her that special "anti-tank" rounds of ammunition could be fired out of the sniper rifle to disable a tank by destroying the driver's observation window. Surely this was just a translation error and the ammunition referred to was simply armor piercing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Sevastopol

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Sevastopol-Yulia-Peresild/dp/B01M5HAAFN

https://film.ua/en/news/1598

See less See more
#8 ·
And that includes Eleanor Roosevelt's (presumably) unrequited lesbian crush on the beautiful Lyudmila. I should note that I have no reason to believe or suggest that this is historically true but the film makers seem to have gone a bit overboard on the relationship between the two women.

#4 ·
Richard and others,

The book Enemy At The Gates is not what you saw in the movie. Its a excellent read of the battle of Stalingrad from both sides , with the experiences of those in that battle. Its not the love story Hollywood movie on paper.

Its in paper back and a darn great book.

#6 ·
Yes indeed, the book was excellent. The movie, as is almost always the case, was a bit of a disappointment.

#21 ·
Elanor Roosevelt

Elanor Roosevelt had a "carry" Permit issued to her in Dutchess county NY, she also had some minimal firearms training - Liberal Media will go the great lengths to keep that Quiet, Elanor was the patron Saint of the Liberals and those who now call themselves Progressives

#9 · (Edited)
I think they were just attempting the weird actual character of Eleanor Roosevelt, whose ghost Hillary claimed to talk to. Lesbian or just mighty strange? You choose. I really liked the Russian actress playing Eleanor Roosevelt - old school classic acting at its best.

I liked the movie as well. Also, Russian movies go for more real explosions, always good.

I have been to Sevastopol and seen where it all happened - a true "Hero City" that only could be taken when the monster railroad "Dora Gun" destroyed the Russian magazines deep under the harbor, leaving many thousands to die in Nazi prison camps.

I'll have to listen to see if they say "anti-tank" or "armor-piercing."

A long-dead friend of mine, a former Panzer mechanic, said the tanks hatches had to be battened down much of the time even in Ukraine's extreme summer heat because Red snipers splattered their bullets on the large steel open hatches showering those below with frag from the FMJs and that tank crews were covered with dozens of cuts because of this and from tiny steel splinters ejected inside from the tank armor when hit by armor-piercing rounds that couldn't go through.

He said a Panzer crew was nearly insensible from the heat inside if battened down tight on a very hot day and the steel got hot enough to cook on in Ukraine. (From there he went to Moscow and that wasn't too comfortable either.)

If you have shot high velocity FMJ bullets at steel targets, you see the ground all around get plastered with metal jacket frag -that is what the snipers tried to do to tankers if they left a hatch open. My Nazi buddy never mentioned anyone shooting out viewing ports but maybe. The real trick was smashing the tread gears with an anti-tank rifle or tossing a Molotov cocktail down on the rear engine air intake ports - these were not diesel tanks so they burned well if you got 'em started.

"War of the Rats" is another Stalingrad semi-fictional account of Zaitsev's exploits and his possibly real love affair with a woman sniper. (My Russian pals say she wasn't a sniper and was badly wounded -he thought she was dead, they lost track of each other and he only found out she lived when both of them were quite old.)

Of course, the real classic is Zaitsev's own "Notes of a Russian Sniper" a must-read for any Mosin owner.

Also valuable and true, but very sad, is "Red Sniper on the Eastern Front about Leningrad. "THe 900 Days" is the best account of the siege from a larger scale.

Two others, from the German side, are "At Leningrad's Gates" by a Leningrad siege German artillery officer who took fire from the Red snipers and tells of the retreat and destruction of Army Group North, and, of course, General Heinz Guderian's all-time classic "Panzer Leader" well told first hand, from victories to total defeat.

#15 ·
Fascinating subject. Another good movie for uniforms and gear is Come and See. It's a long movie but well worth it. It's about a boy trying to join a Russian Partisan unit in Belorussian 1941. The role of the Waffen SS is shown as never before. The scenes where the SS come to the village will stay with you.

#18 ·
Lyudmila Pavilchecnko was a UKRAINIAN soviet sniper; not a russian soviet sniper. There is a difference but russians don't want to believe it and most people who don't know the history confuse everyеhing soviet with being the same as russian.[/FONT][/SIZE][/h]
Слава Україні!

#20 ·
russians don't want to believe it
They certainly raise valid questions: https://www.proza.ru/2013/08/03/1616

187 kills in two and a half months and NO awards when other snipers with significantly lower scores were awarded medals and orders. She spent on the front 11 months, out of which 5 months in hospitals (she was wounded many times), i.e. 309 kills in 6 months?

Don't get me wrong, she is a hero, my hat's off to her. I'm just taking the numbers with a grain of salt.

#19 ·
True. Pavlichenko is as Ukrainian a name as you can get.

She should really be called a Soviet sniper or a Red Army sniper, not a Russian one, as all of the USSR joined against the Nazis.

Pictures of Heroes of the Soviet Union are very diverse, with Uzbeks, Mongolians, Siberians and Ukrainian and Russian Jews all fighting together with Russians and Ukrainians (well, many Ukrainians).

Racial and ethnic differences were temporarily officially forgotten against the common threat, but sadly returned once the war was won. Same goes for many countries.

QUOTE=MykHry;6725074]Lyudmila Pavilchecnko was a UKRAINIAN soviet sniper; not a russian soviet sniper. There is a difference but russians don't want to believe it and most people who don't know the history confuse everyеhing soviet with being the same as russian.[/FONT][/SIZE][/h]
Слава Україні![/QUOTE]

#22 ·
The English Sub titles are border line funny - the English Translation is B-A-D......they should have spent a few bucks to get the translation more accurate, I like the story minus the blatant propaganda, I don't suspect that this movie was financially successful outside Russia - interestingly Luda was Ukranian born (they're presently vigorously Killing each other over there as we speak.) Never been there but I once read that even to this day in Stalingrad (?) Petersburg (?) You can go to any public park or cemetery or place with grass and scoop up a handful of soil and hold it up to the light and you will see metal fragments in the soil - that's what amounts to "intense" warfare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.