Gunboards Forums banner

Interesting M24 Lotta, SIG barrel

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  learjet60 
#1 · (Edited)
Just picked this one up last Friday. SIG stepped barrel, but no CG crest on the barrel es expected, just the serial # vertically, matching the bolt serial. One CG # on the top receiver flat lined out, another on the left side of the barrel at the woodline.

Now for the interesting pert - I took it down for basic grease/crud removal and to get a look at the tang - The CG crest is UNDER the barrel, exactly 180 degrees from where normally stamped. All other stamps are in their usual, expected locations. There's an index mark on the receiver, but no corresponding index mark on the barrel. The receiver may either scrubbed or a Chatellerault, I need to examine additional markings.

Photos to follow as time permits. The rifle hasn't been apart in a VERY long time so there's a lot of hardened grease and oil to work through. A bit of old rust as well, and the stock needs a lot of attention.

Here's a couple of quick photos from my cellphone:

See less See more
#3 ·
Chatellerault receiver confirmed

I've confirmed the receiver is Chatellerault - no tang date or markings, but it has these on either side of the tang (Photos courtesy of mosinnagant.net)

I think there's another stamp of the 2nd proof above on the underside of the receiver behind the recoil lug. Next time I have it apart I'll replace the above photos with my own.

#4 ·
Very cool rifle, congrats!

I feel like I've seen it before, somewhere...can't really remember where.

#7 ·
I'm hoping he'll weigh in with some additional information, if he has any with regards to rifles in this particular configuration. I'd be interested in hearing what a Civil Guard "sneak" rifle is.

Sorry gunhorde my statement about the sneak was only meant as a joke. Vic has never discussed CG sneak rifles, and he has never liked the term sneak rifles in reference to post war build M39's. The only thing he will probably weigh in on is the sharp butt stroke to my head......Denny

#6 ·
Per "Mosinnagant.net":

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/M24-Rifle.asp

"One example in the authors collection is sterile but for the serial number on the top of the barrel. This rifle is rumored to be one of the rifles contracted or purchased for shipment to Estonia. It bears a large “E” marking on the bottom portion of the barrel."

While mine has no such "E" that I've seen, the vertical serial number appears to be similar to the above description.

#9 ·
And then the serial number vertically down the middle of the barrel, matching the bolt. Very odd indeed. But as can be seen from the dirt and grease, it's been together that way for a very long time. The interior of the stock is a puzzle also, the barrel channel appears to be much more freshly cut, while the receiver area is old and oozing cosmoline out of the wood grain. So this rifle looks to have been rebuilt at some point, but by who, and for what purpose?

#10 · (Edited)
The deep black blueing hints that the SA has reblued the barrel and receiver. I suspect that SA has overhauled the gun to their m/91 standards.

Is the rear sight base in m/24 configuration having "M" stamp and 300m notch as the lowest one or is there 200m notch filed too? If there is 200m notch, can the "M" marking still be seen under "2" stamp?

Is the front sight blade profile rectangular or tapered?

#11 · (Edited)
SA modifications to M24

Wow, you nailed ALL of the details.

1. 200 notch added
2. "2" stamped over "M" and another 2 near that.
3. Front blade has a flat top, more rectangular than blade shaped.

*UPDATE* - Added photos:

It actually looks like a "2" stamped over "A", would that be for "Arshins"?

The software is rotating some of my photos, I have no idea why.

#13 ·
Interesting to see with the barrel shank blank, with the exception of the serial number. I have one thats somewhat similar, but my rifle doesnt have a serial number whatsoever. The barrel shank is blank, with the exception of the Christmas Tree mark, and a civil guard =S= on the right side of the barrel shank. The only number on the rifle is the S number on top of the receiver, as well as on the left side of the receiver wall.

#14 ·
The difference here is that if yours was assembled the same way as the OP's rifle, "Böhler-Stahl" would be visible atop the barrel shank.

#17 · (Edited)
Interesting rear sight markings on the OP's rifle. Strangely there's no M marking on the base but the numbers indicate that 3, 4 etc. were stamped one time while 2 and D were clearly stamped separately. Seems to me that the rifle has its original "m/24 era" rear sight which has been reworked later by the SA.

For comparison, here's my Böhler-Stahl EX-m/24 that has been completely rebuilt to m/91 configuration after the war. In this rifle they have removed the m/24 rear sight base and replaced it with m/91 rear sight. All graduation marks have similar SA style font, including 200m notch, there's no hint of M stamp and the D marking indicates the sight is calibrated for D-166 ball.

Here's regular m/24 rear sight with no SA modifications. No D mark or 200m notch. Just the M mark for meters. This rifle was never owned by the SA. The m/28 rear sight base would have similar markings.

Here's m/91 tapered and notched front sight compared to m/24 rectangular front sight.

#18 ·
Interesting rifles, thanks for posting them.

For comparison, here's my Böhler-Stahl EX-m/24 that has been completely rebuilt to m/91 configuration after the war. In this rifle they have removed the m/24 rear sight base and replaced it with m/91 rear sight. All graduation marks have similar SA style font, including 200m notch, there's no hint of M stamp and the D marking indicates the sight is calibrated for D-166 ball.

Here's regular m/24 rear sight with no SA modifications. No D mark or 200m notch. Just the M mark for meters. This rifle was never owned by the SA. The m/28 rear sight base would have similar markings.

Here's m/91 tapered and notched front sight compared to m/24 rectangular front sight.
Thanks for the comparison pictures. It makes it so much easier to understand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.