Fishy stock??

Thread: Fishy stock??

Default Fishy stock??

Maybe I'm wrong, but this stock looks a bit fishy to me.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/638426154
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

swede is online now Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member

I agree with you . To new looking for the amount of wear to the bluing . May be a correct stock , as it is patched on the side of the butt stock & at the end of the rear band . Both band cutouts look crude . Range plate well worn & curled up on the edges . Probably a sporter that someone restored ?

Buyer beware !!!!!!!!!!!!

Swedish Contract P51d Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    I agree with you . To new looking for the amount of wear to the bluing . May be a correct stock , as it is patched on the side of the butt stock & at the end of the rear band . Both band cutouts look crude . Range plate well worn & curled up on the edges . Probably a sporter that someone restored ?

Yeah, a 110 year old range plate is practically part of the wood with no protrusions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post

There also appears to be a pin through the forarm under the sling band.

I see the pin from both sides . What is the purpose ? I do not know ? Anyway , sold last night . The new owner can figure it out .

No crowns behind the trigger on the stock. Wood's far too clean. Nothing seems to fit real well. Check out the screw on top of the butt plate. Check out the name of the new owner too.

An m94 with no issues would have brought far more.
    Live from the dawghouse.

Frst r det Mauser s finns det allt annat.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdawg View Post
    Check out the name of the new owner too.
    LOL!!

Check out the name of the new owner too.
    Too funny. Bubba was both the seller and the buyer!

The stock does look too good compared to metal condition, but it still seems kind of low for a carbine. I thought M38's were going for a lot more than that lately, but I don't really keep up on them lately.

At first I thought the stock looked like an M-1 stock, but it is not the right shape at the fore-end. Then I thought it looked like a K98 Mauser Stock. but again it is not the right shape. Then it reminded me of a Little bit of a Lee-Enfield stock.

I agree the stock looks way too clean and new to be original with the rifle. Looks like a rifle I once saw at a local gun shop, Some guy had taken a Lee-Enfield stock and put a Mauser into it. From what I remember the Gun shop owner said the previous owner of the rifle could not find a Mauser stock to fit his rifle so he took a stock from a "beat up" Lee-Enfield rifle and then "mated" it to his Mauser rifle. The guy did a good job with the stock, but the Mauser looked a little odd/funny with an Lee-Enfield stock on it. LOL But the Gun shop owner said it shot like dream when he took it to the range to make sure it ! I could not afford it at the time! He was asking, I believe between $450 to $500 for it, I only had $300. That was about 20 years ago.

The stock is a model 94 swede stock ! Nothing else ! The buyer got a bargain !Mauser in an enfied stock , Rediculous !!!!

Could that be one of those repop stocks Hoosier was selling 20 years ago? There is evidence on the stock of where old band cuts were filled. Possible a saddle ring bar on the butt?

Hoosier only used walnut and maple ! Artic birch, readily available in Indiana Come on guys THINK ! I meant beech . What was J thinking ! Nix the Artic birch .sorry guys!
    Last edited by carbine crossland; 05-01-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Artic birch would make it a repro. The Swedes never used birch on their Mausers.

That's an awful plain hunk of wood, beech usually has some figure and is full of those fish scale looking things. Bad fit in many places, odd looking wood, Cruffel is right, something funny about that stock.

Say Hooiser used maple? HHHMMMNNN.
    Live from the dawghouse.

Stock looks all beech to me.

Quote Originally Posted by carbine crossland View Post
    The stock is a model 94 swede stock ! Nothing else ! The buyer got a bargain !Mauser in an enfied stock , Rediculous !!!!
    Me thinks thou doth protest too much...... May have been a m/94 stock at one time, but it's f**ked up.

I NEVER said that the rifle in question above was a Mauser in a Enfield stock!! I then went on to relate what I saw at a Local Gun shop and what the owner told me about THAT rifle!! Maybe he was telling me a load of BS, I do not know. Just saying what I saw in the gun shop and what the gun shop owner told me.

Looks to me like the buyer got a good deal!

I thought I had seen it before: http://www.ssporters.com/product-p/1760-150.htm

Beech M95 carbine stock: Saddle bar inlet filled in. Finger grooves & sling slot cut. Band springs inlets plugged and re-cut.

Looks like you got it figured out & I agree . If not the same stock , the same m/95 type of stock . A lot of work went into making the changes needed to look like a m/94 stock .

The filled in slot on the left rear of the butt stock is a dead give away !!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by swede; 05-16-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Great catch BobVZ !

Quote Originally Posted by BobVZ View Post
    I thought I had seen it before: http://www.ssporters.com/product-p/1760-150.htm

Beech M95 carbine stock: Saddle bar inlet filled in. Finger grooves & sling slot cut. Band springs inlets plugged and re-cut.

you are dead wrong ! jwc bought the carbine from me last Feb.I bought it in 1864 for $19.50 from Interarms in Va when I was 16 .It was in my collection since then. I wish I was that talented to do all the work you said that was done to it,. The auction buyer got a bargain ! JWC inspected it and another one in my kitchen and I am sure he would have noticed all the things you guys said was wrong with it, while holding it in his hands.He knows his stuff ! He impressed me and that doesn't happen often ! I turned down $800.00 For it 3 years ago ,when I didn't want to sell it . Bands were mis matched as long as I owned it !

Interarms , as well as other importers are not above cobbling together parts to make a complete gun . It is possible the work was done in Sweden , but I doubt that would happen . To easy to get an original m/94 stock in Sweden .

The fact remains that it not a Swedish m/94 stock !

This pic shows where the M95 rear receiver inletting was filled in.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/6384260...x646799073.jpg

Default m/94 stock comparison

Here is a m/94 stock comparison .

Click image for larger version.

Name:	m-94 stock.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	2235802Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCN4153 (800x324).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	2235810

a long time ago in a Pennsylvania far ,far away ,I was going to turn that carbine into a scoped sporter. I believe those are pencil lines to mark where a turned bolt handle would be. Seriously ! Is that all you got ? I never saw a saddle ring bar shaped like that repair either. Stock repairs on mil-surps are pretty common !
    Last edited by carbine crossland; 05-17-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Besides the numerous areas that just don't fit very well, compare the channel between the rear sight and the receiver. On the m95 hand guard the channel is straight, on an m94 hand guard the channel has a taper towards the receiver. The m94 in question has no taper, the channel is straight. First picture is Bobvz's m95 hand guard picture in post # 19, second the m94 in question, last an m94 from House of Karlina.

Name:	1760-150-3T.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	2236154Click image for larger version.

Name:	m94.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	2236162Click image for larger version.

Name:	m94 from H of K.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	2236170
    Last edited by sheepdawg; 05-17-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    Live from the dawghouse.

Besides the numerous areas that just don't fit very well, compare the channel between the rear sight and the receiver. On the m95 hand guard the channel is straight, on an m94 hand guard the channel has a taper towards the receiver. The m94 in question has no taper, the channel is straight. First picture is Bobvz's m95 hand guard picture in post # 19, second the m94 in question, last an m94 from House of Karlina.

Name:	1760-150-3T.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	2236154Click image for larger version.

Name:	m94.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	2236162Click image for larger version.

Name:	m94 from H of K.jpg
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	2236170
    Good catch, Sheepy!

Also , note the band spring cut out is to long and filled in to match the shorter m/94 band spring .

Name:	m-94 spring.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2238866

Seriously ! Is that all you got ?
    No, looks like it isn't. I'm pretty sure we can continue.
    Live from the dawghouse.

Calif, land run by liberals, and illegal immigrants

Glad it wasn't my $556! As a restored carbine I can see someone using a stock like this. Somebody put a lot of effort in to this, however, some of the workmanship is poor.

I only own 3 Swedes myself but.......not a single one of them has such shoddy metal-to-wood fit, nor so many wood repairs. I don't think anybody could really pass this off as anything but, in the best case scenario, a sporter resurrection.
    And I will add that the stated evidence is overwhelming that somebody tried to fit a different type rifle stock to this M94.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Well something does look strange, but if it was a 95 carbine stock it should have another repair in the same place on the opposite side of the stock for the retaining plate for the saddle ring. And I do not see one... see pictures.

Also the 95 carbine stock is too short between the rear band and the nose cap, it would have to have a duffle cut type of repair. However there does seem to be a slight difference in the wood types and also this might explain the metal pin as some rifle used a pin to help retain the band when no band springs were used.

Name:	pix052495467.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	2240154 Click image for larger version.

Name:	pix735278793.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2240162

Name:	pix586338109.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2240170