Bulgarian Makarov- best deal

Thread: Bulgarian Makarov- best deal

Default Bulgarian Makarov- best deal

I am thinking about getting a Bulgarian Makarov. Out of the vendors that have them for sale, which one has the best deal going? Is it worth the extra cost for hand select? Does anyone know of any gun stores in Ohio that have the Bulgarian Makarovs in stock, where I could see them in person? Thanks!

I bought three of three" like new, unissued" from Aim and found them to be unfired and sporting import marks that are reluctantly acceptable. Some of the CAI pistols have Century's scribbbling all over them, like they have gone out of their way to make the pistol look cheezy . SOG has them for a decent price but I do not believe they are the like new ones, even so in very good condition and worth the sale price. Get an extra mag if they still have any.

I just bought one of the Bulgarians from Classic--their price is a bit spendy for a Mak. I'll let you know what kind of shape its in when I get my hands on it. The fact that since 2002 import markings can no longer be put in an inconspicuous place is a real finger in the eye.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I got one of the SOGs. Looks new. Probably is new. Outside of barrel looked like the slide had never been racked. $300

I believe Sarco may have ones in equal, like new shape for $259.

Hand select is dumb. Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rurallife View Post
    I got one of the SOGs. Looks new. Probably is new. Outside of barrel looked like the slide had never been racked. $300

I believe Sarco may have ones in equal, like new shape for $259.
    I bought two from SOG and both looked new, but one had a lot of scratches on it, some from the extra magazine I bought that SOG just tossed into the bag with the gun and no wrapping around it. Thinking about picking up a third and using the scratched one for winter EDC. Kind of leery about SOG, now. Couldn't find them listed on Sarco's site...

You have to call Sarco. They don't waste money on an internet presence.

Agree. I once paid for hand select on a Yugo SKS from Classic when they were advertising them as excellent to unissued and it had arsenal repairs, mismatched parts, dings and dents and was so slathered in cosmoline that none of that could be seen until I got it cleaned off, and Classic had made no attempt to clean it up enough to understand what the real condition was, so using hand select on guns like these Bulgarian Maks that are so covered in cosmoline is a complete joke. Don't waste your money.

I might be tempted if they were cleaned guns and best of 10, not picking out 10 guns and picking from those 10 until they were gone and starting on another 10. Of course, you never really know how they are actually picking and if hand select means anything, no matter how it is supposed to be done. I never do hand select any more.

I did once call Wideners looking for an all matching 24/47 and they went through two or three dozen rifles to find one for me. They even pulled out one that was not all matching (mismatched stock) because the wood was so beautiful that they wanted to give me that option, too.

Here's that shot of the condition of the barrel on my recent SOG,

Quote Originally Posted by anvilman13 View Post
    I am thinking about getting a Bulgarian Makarov. Out of the vendors that have them for sale, which one has the best deal going? Is it worth the extra cost for hand select? Does anyone know of any gun stores in Ohio that have the Bulgarian Makarovs in stock, where I could see them in person? Thanks!
    No idea if SOG has a storefront:

SOG International, Inc.
    PO BOX 590 Lebanon, OH 45036
    Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30am-5:00pm (EST)
    Phone: 1-800-944-4867
    Email: [email protected]

A vendor at the Lima gun show had a really nice Bulgarian last month. It was priced a little over $300. The show will start tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by BeoBill View Post
    If you search for them you come up with: 240 Harmon Ave, Lebanon, OH 45036 https://www.bing.com/search?q=Southe...16&FORM=CHROMN So they are brick and mortar.
    That looks like a warehouse. I would call them before going there. Or maybe someone on this board has been there?

I went ahead and picked up another one from SOG (number 3) and this one was different from the first two. It came with all external cosmoline cleaned off. It did have a lot of cosmoline internally, so apparently not a return. Real difference was no extra black grip (had original bakelite grip) and no log book. Had newish holster, leather lanyard and cleaning tool. MY first two came in a small brown cardboard box packed in a bigger box. This one came with the pistol wrapped in brown paper with the extras inside the holster which was separately wrapped in brown paper, both inside a USPS box. It appears to be unissued, though, and was made in 1988, similar to one of the first two. SOG's site no longer mentions the log book or black grips in their description, so maybe they are down to the dregs on these. Guess I'll make this my carry gun and put the first two away since they had all the goodies with them.

Just an FYI on SOG and hand pickedness. I DID NOT pay extra for hand picked BUT SOG included this flyer in the box with my latest pistol. I don't recall this being the case with the first two Bulgies I bought from them:

"YOU HAVE PAID EXTRA FOR A HANDPICKED FIREARM...

HANDPICKED: Means we have looked at a dozen of more guns and picked the best cosmetically of those to send to you.

It takes a little more time and that is why there is a small fee charged.

HANDPICKED IS NOT A HIGHER GRADE FIREARM!
    (I's NOT Fair, Good, Very Good, Excellent and then HANDPICKED.)

A good gun can be handpicked for you.

We hope this clears up any questions you might have on what a handpicked firearm is."

I searched SOG's web site to see if this was posted there, somewhere, and could not find it. This is a good explanation, and SOG should have it on their web site, perhaps linked to each page where hand select is given, instead of sending it in the box with a purchased firearm after that fact. Still hard to understand how handpicked would have mattered on my first two Bulgies from SOG as they were covered in cosmoline... BTW the last one is in slightly better condition, cosmetically that my first two, both of which had some scratches on them, on one caused by SOGs packing.

Generally happy, with SOG, though, as I have purchased up to ten pistols from them.....

Retrieved mine from the LGS today and removed all the cosmolene. Just a gun and the original red star grips in the box--no cleaning rod or holster or any extras. Its really only in "good" condition--some light holster wear and surface pitting as well as rust in the extractor spring and firing pin channels and some in the well above the trigger. I was hoping for a bit better condition for $345 out the door with FFL transfer and all but I'm happy enough with it. The SOG Maks are a better deal though for the extras they come with.