Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Glock reliability

just got a glock 22 yesterday at the gunshow, never liked polymer too much but finally caved. stopped and shot it coming home, at about 40 yards it was shooting about a 10" group..... shooting into the mud on the other side of the cutoff canal. anyway, told my brother i got it this morning, he's in Tejas, he said every time he hears on the news a cop gets in trouble it's always a glock that fails to fire. i never heard this much, any opinions or truth about this? the glock is big, fits my hand well, i was thinking of using it for wintertime carry.
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

My only experience with Glocks is with a M27, the "compact" .40 cal. It ain't really a small pistol, it just has an abbreviated butt and barrel/slide. It's just as "fat" as a bigger Glock and doesn't conceal for me without printing.

That said, it's reasonably accurate and NEVER malfunctions unless I fail to seat a mag fully or something. It has fed everything I've put into it without a bobble. If mine is any indication fo what others are like, I'd say they are truly reliable.

Oh, and a pard has the larger .40. His is just as reliable as mine.

I believe Amtraker said he carries a Glock in the sandbox... good enough recommendation for me. Send him a PM and see if he won't reply on this thread, I've been mulling over buying a Glock myself. I'm torn between a Glock, CZ-75Compact or an HK USP.
    "Do your duty in all things; you cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    Robert E. Lee

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
    Ernest Hemingway

I have a Glock 17 and 22 for about 15 years. Bought a Barsto 357 SIG barrel, Urbach extended 9mm barrel (for my suppressor) and an Advantage Arms .22lr kit (which I would recommend for any Glock owner). The 357 SIG produces tighter groups than the .40 S&W. The only serious problems I have had was with reloads, and entirely my fault, not the pistol's. I feel very comfortable with it's reliability to use as a carry gun.

-My 2¢-

I've owned and shot a Glock 27 in .40 S&W for going on a decade. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Totally reliable, light, damn-near rust proof, and accurate enough for the ranges in which it will be needed.
    "But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever." — I Timothy 5:8 (NASB)

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." — Thomas Jefferson, June 19, 1796

I'd definitely say they're reliable. I carry a Glock 21 on duty with a Glock 30 as a backup/off-duty weapon. None of the guys on my department have had any pistol failures during shootings, and any FsTF are largely tied to bad technique or lack of cleaning.

One key point is to keep the firing pin channel BONE-DRY. A more recent problem in .45ACP Glocks is the firing pin striking the firing pin safety, causing wear to both. This is easily fixed with a better firing pin safety spring and an improved striker spring.

These are brutally simple guns, and very reliable, almost boringly so. I'm a Glock Armorer and always tear down my pistols completely for cleaning, and in the process I really get an appreciation for their simplicity and utility. They do unusually well dry, and don't really need much in the way of lube.
    No one ever got into Valhalla unarmed.

thanks for the replys, especially the maintenance tip. i usually keep a liitle oil on my semis. BETADELTA..... had several at the funshow tell me to get a sig, i declined even though i know they are good guns. i wanted a glock. but the Springfield XD's, especially the green/black ones, shore were pretty and tempting.

I have never much cared for the way they feel in my hand, but have NEVER heard a negative thing about their reliablity by anyone I know that owns one.

I have owned 9mm, 40 and 45. Never had a single problem with any. Glock is the only semi auto I will own.

Glock reliability is legendary.

Here's a torture test to kind of prove that point....

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...ask=view&id=90
    "Nothing says "Obey me" like a bloody head on a fence post." -Stewie Griffin

I have a Glock 36 and have not had any trouble with it. Really fun gun to shoot and easy to clean.

I have a 34 that I have not cleaned since sometime last year, estimated 1200-1500 rounds through it with no malfunctions. I am going to shoot it till it quits then clean it, I let students use it routinely in our NRA Basic Pistol Course and shoot it (when I can find the time) in our club's IDPA matches.

MDOC current transport sidearm is the Glock 22.

I have owned the 20, 21, and 22.

I sold my 22 to a friend who still works for MDOC.

I purchased the Glock 20 because I wanted a 10mm, and the Glock 20 was the safest 10mm out there.

After I purchased my Glock 21 I learned that the 21 can do everything if you are willing to buy the accessories.
    I purchased another 10mm slide and assembly, and traded the G20.

Most of the bad press in regards to Glock pistols has more to do with trying to pass millages for more equipment and operator error than anything else.

I do not like the way they feel in my hand, but I love they way they work.
    Semper Fi,
    ret_Marine2003

Located at American Legion post 300, somewhere in Northern Michigan.

ret marine, i have large hands and fingers, i like the way it feels in my hand, except it seems to "naturally" want to point muzzle high. the other thing is the triggerguard is so small, the bottom side of my finger rubs the polymer pulling the trigger. if i had to shoot a couple of hundred rounds, i guarantee i'd have a blister. but the pistols hits to POA, has little recoil, and i'm likeing it more. with practice and by using a 2 hand hold, putting my left index finger on the front of the triggerguard, it points good and is steady. i'm getting used to it.... i've always been a beretta, S+W, and CZ fan.

Until recently I was an M1911 and GP35, exclusively. Owned and shot thousands of rounds through Sig 226 and 228, Beretta 92FS (about 10k through the 92FS). All sold. Glocks are great pistols. I had a 21. Accurate, reliable, felt like I was holding a 2x4, sold it. Six months ago I went to the big gunstore to check out the new Glock 21 SF. The chap told me to check out the XD .45. No thanks. He then took it out and handed it to me and I did a side by side. I went home with XD. After 600 rds. through it I bought an XD Service 9mm, and now waiting on my XD 9mm subcompact for my personal carry piece.

The XD picked up where the Glock left off about 20 years ago. Glocks are great pistols. I like the XD better. Glock torture test and then some with an XD:
    http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php
    Last edited by Hambone; 11-17-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by falm16 View Post
    ret marine, i have large hands and fingers, i like the way it feels in my hand, except it seems to "naturally" want to point muzzle high. the other thing is the triggerguard is so small, the bottom side of my finger rubs the polymer pulling the trigger. if i had to shoot a couple of hundred rounds, i guarantee i'd have a blister. but the pistols hits to POA, has little recoil, and i'm likeing it more. with practice and by using a 2 hand hold, putting my left index finger on the front of the triggerguard, it points good and is steady. i'm getting used to it.... i've always been a beretta, S+W, and CZ fan.
    I had similar experiences, but I love the utility of the 21 with the Glock 20 upper.

If you want to own a 10mm, Glock is the way to go.

Truth be told, I rarely shoot the Glock these days.

I enjoy my national match 1911's much more.

I also have a growing collection of SAA Colts that I prefer to shoot.

...but I am keeping the Glock, and if I ever get the chance to go hunting or panning for gold in Alaska, I will take the Glock and a 12 gauge with me.
    Semper Fi,
    ret_Marine2003

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Until recently I was an M1911 and GP35, exclusively. Owned and shot thousands of rounds through Sig 226 and 228, Beretta 92FS (about 10k through the 92FS). All sold. Glocks are great pistols. I had a 21. Accurate, reliable, felt like I was holding a 2x4, sold it. Six months ago I went to the big gunstore to check out the new Glock 21 SF. The chap told me to check out the XD .45. No thanks. He then took it out and handed it to me and I did a side by side. I went home with XD. After 600 rds. through it I bought an XD Service 9mm, and now waiting on my XD 9mm subcompact for my personal carry piece.

The XD picked up where the Glock left off about 20 years ago. Glocks are great pistols. I like the XD better. Glock torture test and then some with an XD:
    http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php
    I hated the XD when it came out, mostly because it had some serious flaws that have since been corrected.

I do not think I would be embarrassed to own one now, but then again..none of my firearms embarrass me, not even the noisy cricket. LOL

(I have a bright and shiney one with a pink laminated stock on the rack for my grand daughter to shoot with when she visits and goes to the range with me.)
    Semper Fi,
    ret_Marine2003

I carry a Glock 22. It's absolutely reliable. The only time I had problems is when the training department handed out badly abused magazines that should have been tossed. Otherwise, it's the most reliable auto loader I've handled.

I have 2 G-21's and an XD Tactical. Never any problems with either Glock. Put in a $12 3.5# trigger connector & can beat my best 1911 scores with it any day. It's ugly, it's plastic & it's really mechanically simple, but boy, it's rugged & it rreally can shoot.

Got the XD Tactical 45 because I wanted something with a 5" barrel. Finally got it broken in to the point where it shoots every bit as good as the Glocks. BUT it costs around $100 for springs and sear to make a decent (lighter) trigger that is more comparable to the Glocks. Not any good selection of aftermarket parts for the XD...

AZ, where do you get the 3 1/2lb connector?

Better than the light 3.5 Lb connector, the ghost rocket connector, not only it provides a lighter trigger pull but also reduce the trigger travel.

The perfect Glock for me is a G17 with fixed tritium night sights, titanium firng pin, Ghost rocket connector, extended slide release and extended mag release.

A perfect pocket tool is a G26 with fixed tritium night sights, titanium firng pin, Ghost rocket connector and extended slide release.

I have used Glock 17 pistols since 1985, had a 1st generation G17 for 15 years in all sort of climates, mostly wet and salty, sometime muddy as well, never failed me. I replaced that old faithful by a 3rd generation model outfited as described above, it's good for another 15 years.

#1 Glock 17 with SP1 sound suppressor and M3 light.
    #2 G17 and G26

kelt

Kelt- does the Samson ammo have a polymer tip?
    "Do your duty in all things; you cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    Robert E. Lee

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
    Ernest Hemingway

The box of Samson ammo on the picture is "low velocity", loaded with 158grs FMJ bullets, the bullet tip are painted blue to show that they are subsonic.

kelt

i really prefer a little travel in the trigger, when it tightens up, i know i'm ready to go, but AZ has me thinking hard about the 3 1/2lb pull. do you get them straight from glock?

Default Glock

"I'd definitely say they're reliable. I carry a Glock 21 on duty with a Glock 30 as a backup/off-duty weapon. None of the guys on my department have had any pistol failures during shootings, and any FsTF are largely tied to bad technique or lack of cleaning".

DITTO.........Only problems i have heard of was with .45 GAP ammo from Speer Gold dot a few years ago.

Technique has a lot to do with it. Lock your arms out and don't limp wrist this thing. I own a 22, 21 and 30. Cary the 21 on duty daily.......great weapon.
    Last edited by snowman_fla; 11-25-2008 at 08:12 PM.

glock 9mm is the MOST reliable pistol in the world. .40 less so and most of the kabooms have happenned in .40 however its better than most other .40 pistols. Anyone who thinks glock 9mms are unreliable are themselves unreliable for information. I've put 10000 rounds through mine at least by now and it has NEVER JAMMED OR STOVE PIPED>

man, that's a lot of rounds, francis. how is the rifling in the bore looking?

man, that's a lot of rounds, francis. how is the rifling in the bore looking?
    no issues, its been fine. I use mainly winchester white box and wolf. Bore looks good. Everytime my friends and I go out we put around 400 rounds through it. I got the pistol in 2005. I'm positive we have around 10000 by now. It gets shot very often. Never a stove pipe or a jam ever. Glock bashers are idiots. The only complaint is the trigger feels like a plastic toy so i got a sig. I really wouldn't buy a defensive semi auto unless it was a glock or a sig with maybe the beretta 92 as an exception
    \
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI

This should answer your question on glock reliability

Default Glock 22

I traded mine for a NIB SLR-95 a while back. Its totally reliable. Not the best fit for my hands but it will be the next pistol I buy, again. I traded most of my handguns "accept the C&R's" for AK's and AR's. The Glock 22 will be my next purchase.

i really prefer a little travel in the trigger, when it tightens up, i know i'm ready to go, but AZ has me thinking hard about the 3 1/2lb pull. do you get them straight from glock?
    It's a Glock part available from Glockmeister.com

I see they've had a big price increase since I got mine. No offense to other vendors out there, but I'm keeping mine all Glock (except for the grip sleeve).

Quote Originally Posted by AZshooter View Post
    It's a Glock part available from Glockmeister.com

I see they've had a big price increase since I got mine. No offense to other vendors out there, but I'm keeping mine all Glock (except for the grip sleeve).
    I think you'd be smoking crack not too. Why mess with perfection? Like people who put hte wolfe springs in. They break, not the Glock springs

I hope that the XD has the same track record of success and durability as the Glock. I remember when it came out. I remember criticism of the Glock and now it's accepted as one of the most durable, reliable, combat pistols in the world. The grip angle and "feel" on a Glock are something I've never really liked. The XD seems perfect though and all reports are that it is as reliable thus far as the Glock.

AZ, think i'm leaving mine stock, also..... except i may add an adjustable rear sight. i have a friend on the sheriff's dept, a glock armorer, he has his down to 3lbs. we compared trigger feel side by side the other day. not much noticable difference. his may feel just a tad lighter and smoother, but not much. anyway, CTD had the 3 1/2lb connector listed in one of their catalogs for 9.97. hambone, i looked at the XD, they are attractive, and for what it's worth, get a good review in guns and ammo, but the 22 fits my large hand nicely, i'm liking it more every day.

Falm, you couldn't ask for much more in a self defense pistol. I've got alot of time with M1911s and probably next, GP35s. I think it's that familiarity with the grip angle that draws me to the XD over the Glock. The pinned in rails, grip safety, loaded chamber and cocked indicator were important. I know people say the latter three are unnecessary doodles and such, but I really don't think so at all. A quick sweep with my left hand in the dark, or simply looking at it will let me know. I'm no handgun noob at all, but having those things are my preference. I think when it comes to the Glock vs. XD matter, it becomes what "feels" right. Again, if the XD can maintain a history of reliability like the Glock, then we'll all be lucky to have two great handguns to choose from......if they don't get banned.

I'm on board with Hambone. I've owned a Glock 21,22,23 . Sold the model 22 to a friend. i recently jumped ship and bought a Springfield XDM 40. I have had two explosions in the 22 and 23 . The 22 split the barrel and had to be replaced, the 23 ,i beleive was an out of batttery explosion. It lost the extractor.Both of the 22,23's had 3.5 trigger disconnects in them. I don't know if this was the reason for the explosions , but i really believe they were the culprit. After the incedent with the 23 , i bought the XDM 40 and i'm real happy with it. I still carry the 23 , and have "loaned " the 21 to my 70 year old father. He shot a perfect score with it on his CHL qualifications. I think Ham's right about Springfield , they improved a proven design. PS - google or youtube ( glock explosion ) and you see what i mean. John
    Last edited by birddogg; 11-27-2008 at 05:45 PM.

My son's owned a few Glocks and has NEVER had a problem, even in the hot 10mm Glock 20. I researched the Glock "Kaboom" problem extensively.

I came to the conclusion that it was mostly the fault of really poor reloaded ammo plus the extreme popularity of Glocks and the huge number sold before the rest of the industry caught up with their technology.

Apparently the Glock rifling does not like lead bullet reloads, supposedly the reason Glock, like most manufacturers, recommends against reloaded ammo, but regular deleading can take care of that. The Glock ramp does leave a bit of the case unsupported in some chamberings but apparently the 40 cals were the only ones really affected by blowouts there. That seems to have been due to poor quality control or inadequate design in some earlier 40 cal cases. Most makes of 9mms and 45s have had a similar ramp design for the past century with no special problems.

Glocks can in theory fire while slightly out of lock, but once again that only seems to happen with reloads - possibly due to hangups caused by out of spec case dimensions.

Because of reload problems with ALL firearms, not just Glocks, I do not trust any that I didn't do myself, not do I even trust myself to try to economize by using small amounts of fast burning powder. Double strokes are just too easy to make and if the powder doesn't overflow when you do that its hard to catch the mistake. Also all cases MUST be carefully inspected and resized and any suspect ones discarded.

And supposedly professional reloads? One local indoor gun range insisted that all shooters buy their ammo, and by far the cheapest were their own reloads. They blew up guns of ALL makes, models and calibers and are fortunately now under new management after some Class III violations.
    Last edited by jjk308; 11-28-2008 at 06:31 AM.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

I will probably get flamed for this but I have been shooting handguns for 35 years both professionally, competitively and for fun. I have come to conclusion that if you buy a quality, brand name pistol, maintain it properly, use good magazines and feed it good ammo it will do whatever you need it to do, when you want it to do it.

Well, maybe not a Colt....................? ;-)
    Last edited by Krag; 11-28-2008 at 04:45 PM.
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.
    [Points to sword] But this....this you can trust!"

Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Quote Originally Posted by Krag View Post
    I will probably get flamed for this but I have been shooting handguns for 35 years both professionally, competitively and for fun. I have come to conclusion that if you buy a quality, brand name pistol, maintain it properly, use good magazines and feed it good ammo it will do whatever you need it to do, when you want it to do it.

Your criteria are absolutely spot-on.

That's the answer to anyone who claims that there is only 'one' pistol/rifle/shotgun to get. I've seen alot of weapons matching your criteria do just fine. And yes, the magazines have ALOT to do with things, and they're also usually over-looked. Some people spend buckets of money on a really nice, 'SHTF' rifle/pistol, and then skimp and buy cheapo magazines. Good luck with that...
    No one ever got into Valhalla unarmed.

Since every part in a 1911 type seems to interact with and affect every other part you will find that a perfectly set up and maintained Colt 1911/Commander will "do whatever you need it to do, when you want it to do it".

The problems start when you either buy a pistol that wasn't properly built by the manufacturer or by some "expert" or has "no gunsmithing" drop in aftermarket "accurizing" parts. Sorting out the cause of the problem(s) can then be a lengthy and exasperating experience. See http://www.m1911.org/full_technic.htm for the many pages of 1911 technical info.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Default Reliable Glock 23

I bought a used Glock 23 (mid-size .40 S&W) from a friend who bought it used from someone else. It's the old style frame without the lower rail. I don't know how many rounds the first owner put through it, but between my friend and I, there have been at least 2500+ rounds through it without a single malfunction.

JJK - just a remark I made because EVERY single Colt product - 1911 (2), Combat Commander, Python, Detective Special and AR15 (2) - that I ever owned malfunctioned. And continued to malfunction even after they were returned to the factory multiple times for "warranty repairs." I have never had this kind of bad luck, or poor factory support, from Glock, Para-Ordnance, S&W, Beretta, Kahr or Ruger products.

Just my personal experience.
    Last edited by Krag; 11-29-2008 at 01:56 PM.
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.
    [Points to sword] But this....this you can trust!"

Conan the Barbarian, 1982

BTW, Kelt, that's an outstanding pair of Glocks and accessories you have!

I may break down and get a Glock 17 or 19 just to be doing it....may not be able to do so in a year!

Krag, I agree. At a certain point it becomes a matter of what "fits" and suits the individual.

krag, you are jinxyed if you can get a detective or a python to malfunction. :D i have smith and beretta autos, never had a malfuntion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    BTW, Kelt, that's an outstanding pair of Glocks and accessories you have!

I may break down and get a Glock 17 or 19 just to be doing it....may not be able to do so in a year!

Krag, I agree. At a certain point it becomes a matter of what "fits" and suits the individual.
    Whichever you get make sure you have eight magazines. Split up your training m ags and your fighting mags

JJK - just a remark I made because EVERY single Colt product - 1911 (2), Combat Commander, Python, Detective Special and AR15 (2) - that I ever owned malfunctioned. And continued to malfunction even after they were returned to the factory multiple times for "warranty repairs." I have never had this kind of bad luck, or poor factory support, from Glock, Para-Ordnance, S&W, Beretta, Kahr or Ruger products.

Just my personal experience.
    What happenned with your dicks special? I just bought one from an NYPD cop that carried it for 32 years on the job. Charged me 180 bucks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast