OT: New Gunbroker Format - Good Idea or BIG Mistake?

View Poll Results: Is Gunbroker's new description format a Good Idea or a Big Mistake?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea

3 10.00%
  • Big Mistake

27 90.00%

Thread: OT: New Gunbroker Format - Good Idea or BIG Mistake?

Default OT: New Gunbroker Format - Good Idea or BIG Mistake?

I think Gunbroker has made a HUGE mistake with their auction description formatting, and would like to hear from others.

Preface

I added information to the item description for one of my current auctions this morning (sorry, no link per Forum Rules). I have done this process dozens of times in the past and as recently as last week. The additional information had always appeared BELOW the item description. Today, it appeared ABOVE the item description, creating a confusing juxtaposition of subject matter.

I wrote to Gunbroker, expressing my displeasure. But my experience is that they take up to 15 days to respond to support issues, and by then my compromised auction description will be moot, as the sale will be over.

Here is a link to last week's closed auction, in which the added information appeared after my item description - http://www.gunbroker.com/item/638976352

My Opinion

Most internet surfers will read an auction title, and only briefly scan the first few words or lines of a description, and either:

1. Get captivated enough to continue reading

-or-

2. Become quickly bored and move on to the next distraction

I believe that the great majority of auction surfers fall into the latter category. When the 'added information' appears as the first block of text, it becomes the default 'Item Description'. Potential bidders will become confused and/or quickly disinterested, and move on without reading the important initial item description which (now) appears below the 'added information'. Sellers will suffer the loss of a large number of potential bidders. Hence, sale prices will be lower, and even Gunbroker's bottom line will suffer from decreased final value percentage revenues.

I am sure that a reputable business such as Gunbroker had management meetings before changing the format for the placement of additional text at the top of item descriptions. They undoubtedly reacted to complaints that shoppers were not scrolling to the end of text to view added information. But I don't believe that they thought this decision through to the detrimental effect on sellers, and ultimately to their own bottom line.

I think that if watchers/potential bidders/buyers fail to read all information which is provided by the seller, then any problems that they have with a purchase falls directly on their own shoulders. Sellers should not be made to suffer decreased views of their items for sale, for the incomplete attention to detail of their shoppers.

Poll Subject

Is Gunbroker's new description format a Good Idea or a Big Mistake?

Oh, and maybe I've missed the boat entirely? Your opinion is welcome, too.

Not just that but everybody watching the auction gets an e-mail when you do that. Between this, the lack of seeing any info on the bidders ( had a guy from Canada win one for an M44, didn't know this until the auction closed !) And the way the pics are now posted to the auction makes me think Vertiscope has aquired them too.
    "The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Tyme View Post
    Not just that but everybody watching the auction gets an e-mail when you do that. Between this, the lack of seeing any info on the bidders ( had a guy from Canada win one for an M44, didn't know this until the auction closed !) And the way the pics are now posted to the auction makes me think Vertiscope has aquired them too.

True dat.

But even if you could see the current bidder on the front page of the auction, Gunbroker no longer allows you to block a current high bidder. So, the 'Block Bidder' function is ultimately useless. I had a bidder message me ten minutes from the auction closing, asking me to retract his bid. I would have done it, if I could have done it. Instead, the deadbeat won and refused to pay.

It would also be nice to see the auction start date and duration, like the old way. But obviously, Gunbroker knows best!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I know, Matt, you may add your original description with a note to the recent additions. I liked the old look much better.
    too late for this one, gets more convoluted, but something to consider for next one.

Isn't there still an option to see the "classic" view on auction listings? But I think the website defaults to the new view.
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

Tucson, Arizona; 125 miles southeast of the center of the universe

Every time they change anything, its for the worse. Complaints pretty much fall on deaf ears.
    Hebrews 13:8

Agreed, I'm not fond of the new format. I does not make it easier to navigate.
    Sent from my Nokia 1020 win 8.1 phone

I want to kick myself for not buying a few 1903's about 25 years ago!!

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Perhaps they are not familiar with the old axiom: "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
    Jim

Today, it appeared ABOVE the item description, creating a confusing juxtaposition of subject matter.
    Same thing happened on an auction I listed last night. I don't like it either! Typical large company messing with something that works until its broken.

The company I work for has been doing the same crap the last few years. I use to be able to pull up data on all my gas wells on my smart phone or home computer; the company wanted to save money and switched providers. Now the only option is to boot up the ancient company laptop to check the status of my wells...........going backwards but you can't tell them that!
    Looking for PU scope number 10062. See post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...light=pashutr3

When Nikki updated her Westinghouse description yesterday I got *four* emails that the content had changed.

This change is definitely for the tl;dr generation, and not for the better. I'm guessing (just guessing) that they're thinking it's like a modern email where the replies get appended to the top.

Got an email from them a year or so ago when they first made changes as I complained to them I did not like the changes. They told me that most of their buyers were folks (read millennials) who used tablets or smart phones and not have desk top or lap tops computers(read old farts like me) - I replied good luck with those guys who have five rifles and shame on you for annoying people who have..........more....

Pahtu

Only if a change causes a drop in traffic will gunbroker listen and change it back. If you don't like the change send them an email telling them you will no longer be using gunbroker til it is fixed. Then don't visit gunbroker. If enough people voice their concerns and their traffic drops they will take action. Complaining but continuing to use gunbroker will result in them doing nothing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agreed Pahtu. They are alienating their base customers from the collecting community. But maybe the plastic stock and Glock sales to millennials is the 'new base'.

By Poll results thus far (94%, changes = Bad Idea), it appears that us old folks with the buying power just aren't hip with the times.

When/if the Gunbroker Support staff does reply, I will send them a link to this thread, though. Might not sway them to make their site more seller/buyer friendly. But they will see that their round table decisions aren't going unnoticed by their clientele.

voted big mistake,

the addendum should be after the fact,, keeps stuff in context to me,

by the way, just throwing this out there,

the <br> inserted every sentence or 2 helps break up the text, so the listings do not look like a big wall of text or a continuous paragraph, (easier to read)
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post
    voted big mistake,

the addendum should be after the fact,, keeps stuff in context to me,

by the way, just throwing this out there,

the <br> inserted every sentence or 2 helps break up the text, so the listings do not look like a big wall of text or a continuous paragraph, (easier to read)
    Doesn't the br draw a line and p separates paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
    Doesn't the br draw a line and p separates paragraphs.

nope, not on GBroker

Spacing and Lines:

Surround your paragraphs with the <p> </p> tags for a paragraph.
    The <br> tag starts a new line without skipping any space.
    To draw a line across the screen, use <hr> (for "horizontal rule").
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

nope, not on GBroker

Spacing and Lines:

This is good to know!

nope, not on GBroker

Spacing and Lines:

Thank you

It's quite easy to import firearms into Canada. You just need to ship to his FFL and they will be the exporter. Shouldn't be any difference on your side other than providing some additional information to the purchaser.
    Looking for Mosin 91/30 bayonet ГС4625. Will pay well!

The listings are now thoroughly garbaged up, and the pics are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by bp2626 View Post
    It's quite easy to import firearms into Canada. You just need to ship to his FFL and they will be the exporter. Shouldn't be any difference on your side other than providing some additional information to the purchaser.
    Tell the buyer this, after 3 weeks of feet dragging on the buyers end trying to find an FFL to handle this (and holding up payment till he had one) I filled a non payer complaint.
    "The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

I don't really have any issues with the changes, though I can see why it might be annoying to some. I've not run into any issues with any of my auctions, but it's been a few months and even then I didn't need to make any edits after the listing was posted. If I regularly posted a lot of auctions and always had to make edits, I suppose it might irk me.

As for the app, I do like it quite a bit. I've only used it for buying (I use the web client version for selling), but it's been great so far. Very easy to navigate, use, search, complete purchases, etc.

So, overall, I don't have any issues with their changes. But that's just my experience thus far.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
    "Any people whatsoever have the right to abolish the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right." -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 July 1848

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    Got an email from them a year or so ago when they first made changes as I complained to them I did not like the changes. They told me that most of their buyers were folks (read millennials) who used tablets or smart phones and not have desk top or lap tops computers(read old farts like me) - I replied good luck with those guys who have five rifles and shame on you for annoying people who have..........more....

Pahtu
    That doesn't make too much sense since there is a Gunbroker app for phones/tablets. Who would browse the the web site via a browser when those exist?

Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
    This is good to know!
    There's a whole section on other html tags you can use in your listing descriptions to make them more readable. You can add color, change the size of text, etc. I usually create the listing description in Word and then paste into Gunbroker, then re-use much of the format for any subsequent listings. Saves time especially on the disclaimers and shipping requirements that are usually repeated in all my listings.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/629302719

You take personal checks!???!?!?!!!???

SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

Tell the buyer this, after 3 weeks of feet dragging on the buyers end trying to find an FFL to handle this (and holding up payment till he had one) I filled a non payer complaint.
    I'm sorry to hear that, I presumed he wasn't an idiot!
    Looking for Mosin 91/30 bayonet ГС4625. Will pay well!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post

SlimTim

As long as they clear! And so far, all have.

And a few dozen old 1911s when they were $14.95 by mail....

Quote Originally Posted by dubtap21 View Post
    I want to kick myself for not buying a few 1903's about 25 years ago!!

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

SlimTim
    As does the man with the grey blanket. I've paid for everything I've ever gotten from him with a personal check from a $10 book to a $1000 carbine. And he ships upon receipt, not clearance. I've bought some stuff from here on the Trader with checks, too.

SlimTim
    sure, never had one bounce - Its 'safer' to me than paypal - as I have had one deadbeat claim they never received the item and then paypal gave them their money back. The lady on the phone kind of said, oh, he has claimed this before... They still gave him the money, so he had a luger magazine I sold him, fees from ebay and paypal took the money back.

Last week I "relisted" a like item, could not find sell like - which means I would not have to add the normal blah, blah at the end. It immediately relisted without letting me change pictures, yet descriptive line said, relist with edits or relist. So, I had to edit it. It will be interesting to see what it does. I think I have a book on gunbroker right now, perhaps I will add a sentence and see what it does. I would much prefer it to be at the base if adding something...
    Edward Tinker
    Co-Author of Police Lugers
    Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I - Vol II - VOL III / Collections of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
    Co-Author of Simson Lugers

Have all books available for purchase

Hello,

My only real gripe is the last update THE PICTURES SYSTEM SUCKS!!!!!!!!! when you hit zoom in or used your zoom function on the keyboard you can actually really look at the rifle the new zoom takes the same size pics and does no zoom access only opens a album type feature VERY HARD to get any details any more unless some one posts a ton of mirco super close photos. With that they now post 100 photos that 15 use to be enough.

later
    vaughn
    Tula 91/30 Ex-Snipers WANTED!!!!!!! See List Below
    Zeiss Type Any Date
    Walther Type Any Date
    1932 PE, Top Mount, Hex Receiver
    1933 PE, Top Mount, Hex Receiver
    1936 PE, Top Mount, Round Receiver
    1938 PE, Top Mount СП Marked
    1938 PE, Top Mount Siege Built
    1939 PE, Top Mount СП Marked
    1939 PE, Top Mount Siege Built