Gunboards Forums banner

Shooting form - M28/76

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  CH 
#1 ·
Is anyone familiar with the shooting form that was commonly used on the M28/76 when it was in service? In particular I'm interested in unsupported standing, I'm having difficulty dealing with the significant weight of that magnificent rifle.

#2 ·
Keep practicing the position. Offhand is a tough position. I have found MN rifles to be very comfortable in off hand. Find the balance point that works for you. For me I put my left hand rite on the magazine and find it naturally balanced and comfortable. The wobble is significant but that too is normal for me. Try not to over extend your left arm {if your shooting right handed}. When you over extend you muscles start to twitch from tiring so fast. Also don't hold on to the rifle to long. Set it down and allow you muscles to relax. Hold on to long and trying to pretty up your sight picture will make things much worse. I would imagine most people shot this prone with a sling/handstop, but am not familiar with Finn sport shooting?

Regards, John.

#5 · (Edited)
If you find m/28-76 too heavy, I'd also recommend adding physical exercise to your training program. Pushups and pullups are really good compound exercises for a shooter and you can do them anywhere. Some simple leg exercises like lunges would also help improving balance which is essential in standing position. However, don't overdo your PT, the focus must be kept in the main sport, that is holding, dry firing and shooting the rifle.

I'm sure you're aware of the actual position, the way you should lean the upper body to back and right, but here's some pictures how Finns did it, this time with m/27-66, back in the early 1970s. I personally prefer holding the rifle on the finger tips as gives some extra length to your arm and really helps to get the elbow rest nicely on the left hip. Using a sling in standing position might disrupt this and I'm not fan a of that.

#7 ·
Great pictures to give examples. I do not know how a sling will help at off hand position. In USA you keep the sling on but keep it tight so it does not move around and act like a flywheel and move your rifle when it moves. All good advice so far.

If I find my left hip bone with my elbow I will be shooting about 6' in front of my firing point and probably be asked to leave! The practice of building positions using "bone support" is a task that takes practice and the older you get it is even more important to practice the positions. My God if I tried sitting position right now without practice and stretching I would hurt myself. Keep at it. John.

#8 · (Edited)
Prone or sitting I can do, the only problem is, I need a hoist to get back to standing.

But other than to see if you can, and the sheer challenge of it, shooting offhand doesn't seem real practical.

Just about all the game I've taken out here, I was braced against a tree, fencepost, boulder or something. Because the last thing you want to be doing out here in Montana, after dark, is to be out there looking for a wounded animal you poorly shot. You might encounter a Grizzly Bear, or something else.

There are some hunters out here that carry around shooting sticks, that you can prop your rifle on.

#9 ·
You have a point about being practical. I agree if shooting for game or anything else it is best to use the best aid in helping you achieve a good shot. On the other hand the objective in competitive shooting is in my book is to make you learn to shoot in any position effectively. So I think the challenge of off hand shooting is well taken. In many ways it is the most challenging, but I had better luck with off hand then reading wind at long range? You could use the same logic when shooting 1000 yds with iron sights and a .30 cal? I doubt snipers use off hand for a critical shot and if a hunter did it would be a poor choice if one had the time to make a better position. In target or competitive shooting it is part of the game. In a snipers point of view or a hunter it should probably be your last choice to use, but knowing you can hit your target in a 2-3" MOA standing is a good skill to know regardless, differing opinions accepted of course. I respect you thoughts about it in hunting in Montana. Here in Wi many hunters take off hand shots during deer season. Many deer are never found until spring and if Grizzley bears were a concern maybe people would take hunting more seriously? I know I would. If I ran into a Griz at any time other than a zoo I would be embarrassed by my bodily functions taking things into their own hands. Montana and Wyoming are my two favorite places so far in the lower 48. In Wi we have very few poisonous snakes and no Griz. The worst predator's we worry about have two legs and speak the native tongue. And the liberals in Madison/Milw areas, kind of like North Korea to the south. Ha! Regards, John.

#10 ·
Well sure, some of the most rewarding things you can do, is pick a difficult subject and master it. So in that sense, for target shooting, I can understand someone wanting to shoot offhand.

Nothing disgusts me more, than the waste of a game animal. Here in Montana, it is against the law.

Grizzley Bears are a real hazard. Last year we were hunting, and hiking in on a logging road. A tractor trailer hauling fresh cut logs came down the dirt road, which in my mind wasn't suitable for anything bigger than a Jeep. (Those truckers are AMAZING!)

The driver stopped his truck and got out to talk to us. He asked us where we were going. We told him. He told us that a week before, he'd seen a Grizzley Bear up there about 300 yards off the logging road. Said he stopped his truck, got out to take a picture of it, and before he could, the bear looked up saw him and charged at top speed towards him from 300 yards out. Told us he barely got back into his truck in time!

So we decided it was getting too close to supper time and we'd better go home!

#11 ·
Hahhahahahahha! Standing position is what I do when I carry the rifle to the table before I sit down and collapse onto the bench to do some serious shooting!!! At 73 years old, 245 pounds, 6 foot 3 inches tall. with a 37+ inch inseam in my shirts, loads of arthritis to go around my joints, torn rotator cup in my right shoulder, and 2 replacement knees standing is part of only walking to get somewhere and I haven't shot from that position for many years. But don't feel sorry or laugh at me because on a good day off the bench I can still hold my own and get much enjoyment of that which is just fine by me. Heck I know guys younger than me that can't find their way to the range without a GPS or wife along for the trip! Oh sorry didn't mean to interrupt your conversation about the standing postion so by all means carry on! Bill

#12 ·
Fingertips or knuckle with the standing position... and it is physically laborious, even for my 31 year old self. I recommend lighter weights, more reps with shoulder/arm exercises. I had to hold an HBAR patrol rifle on a hallway for over an hour one time. I thought I was going to die a slow agonizing death. I upped my regimen... and switched to a lightweight AR15 profile. haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.