Gunboards Forums banner

New member with M27rv questions (w/pics)

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  quark 
#1 ·
New member here and wanted to say hello from PA. I know there's a few on here from other forums I'm on, and some may know me from Facebook.
I also have one or two questions about my new acquisition. I bought this M27rv at a local FFL, he had it advertised as an M39....lucky me. Yes the sling has been removed, these were the first pics.

What I know about it...it has the wrong bolt handle, but it is a 27 winged bolt. I'm assuming it was replaced before they originally shipped it out of Finnland....maybe? Any replacements around?
Someone said the stock was sanded....I can find no indications of sanding, but I do think someone cleaned it at some point. It's actually darker than in the pics.
The receiver was originally a 1900. The barrel and receiver are numbered together at the bottom of the barrel and front of recoil lug. No SA stamps anywhere.....no import marks either.
The stock disc reads : HHR, TOIM.J. , 8
The bore is good with strong rifling, but a few dark spots near the chamber. The crown is nice.
Thats all I know. Can anyone tell me anymore or correct anything? Would someone want to try and hang a price tag on it? LOL

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome Rich! as far as replacement bolts go, you wont find one unfortunately. Its totally possible it was replaced due to damage in Finland, and they just used one they had in a pile. Stock does look to be cleaned at least from the pictures, but it doesn't look like it was anything that was done recently, it looks like it was done long ago (at least to me.) As far as my knowledge on these goes, I cant really add much if anything.

#3 ·
Stock disc indicates the rifle would have been issued to Toimitusjoukkue (Delivery Platoon or we would call it supply, which isn't quite the correct term either, but you get the meaning...) Hämeen Ratsurykmentin (HRR) (Hämeen cavalry regiment) rifle nr 8

#9 ·
Bolt, really hard to find, if not impossible.....but then I also have found impossible to find things - Correct M27RV's easily bring three thousand or so, your carbine is still very desirable but I would be hard pressed to pay the going rate as it no longer has the original dark finish. Still it is more or less made of unobtainium for most collectors and I would wager an optimistic price of at least 1500 to 2k for the piece - Many would balk at that price and I could agree with them.....find another....and you could wait a loooong time, I don't have one, but do see them pop up for sale, one or two on a good year.

Pahtu.

#10 ·
Very cool piece. I would agree with Pahtu on the 1500-2000, unless that dark line on the left side of the wrist is a crack. Probably a little lower if it is.

#16 ·
NEVER give up looking for a bolt. When I bought my carbine, it had a sniper bolt in it. Thanks to another member here, I had one within a month. Mis match, but still a correct RV bolt. Two more RV bolt handles went on Ebay within the last year from a guy in Finland. They're out there.

#18 ·
It is a crack, although it is mostly superficial. It looks like it's been there quite a while and gives it some character.
I did have it out of the stock to check the year of the receiver. I didn't see any repair on the inside of the stock, but I didn't know what to look for either.
As stated above Maine Sako talked me out the RV, should have figured he was a member here. LOL
No worries, I have another nice Finn Dragoon handed down from a family member.

#19 ·
All four of the M27 RV's I have seen in person have cracks in the wrist to some degree. They were used VERY hard in combat. It looks to me by the pics provided here that a small nail was used to repair the crack. Two of the four I have seen had this. The nails had good age to them,leading me to think it was Finnish arsenal or field done. Nice pick up of a hard to find rifle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.