Gunboards Forums banner

rust removal colt 1911

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ratfink 
#1 ·
Any ideas on removing some bad rust .This rust is raised and crusty in places.I realize that there will be pitting but want to keep as much original finish as possible.The pistol is a commercial colt 1911 1935 and was probably mint when it was put away in a drawer and forgotten about for 60 years.rusted approx. 30 %. I have it soaking in break free right now and it dosen't seem to be touching it.Help!

#3 ·
Balistol solvent and CLP is the best I've found for cleaning rust off antiques without damaging remaining finish. It seems to turn any rust it doesn't float loose black. The final appreance after careful cleaning is usually very nice.
I don't usually use steel wool on the older guns, as some recommend, I use dacron hairpad material that is used in upholstery. I used to upholster so I had plenty of this scrap on hand.

Soak the rusted surfaces of the gun in balistol for a few hours or overnight, wipe and repeat. If it doesn't all come off at one time don't worry about it. Using balistol on a regular basis will deactivate live rust and permeate dead rust.

PS
Often crusty rust when removed will show little pitting underneath. Bluing is just controled rusting afterall.

#4 ·
If you don't want to go the Naval Jelly or other chemical route (which will pretty much kill the finish), you can try this first.

Try to find one of the Swiss STG-57 cleaning kits, like this one

http://www.keepshooting.com/firearmaccessories/repairs/swiss_cleaning_kit.htm

Treat the rust with penetrating oil, mineral oil, *something* (guys here will recommend a long-term soak in kerosene first, I do not disagree with them). The idea is to saturate the rust. Heck, let it soak while you are waiting on the delivery of the Swiss cleaning kit :)

Once you get the kit, use the chamber brush (the big one) to scrub the rusted area, this should knock off the rust and leave pitting. Use this ONLY on the badly rusted areas.

Then follow it up with 0000 (four zero) steel wool (again, some guys will suggest bronze wool in its place) soaked in oil. this will help clear away the surface rust and leave some finish.

Once you do that, you should have a better idea of whats going on.

#5 ·
There is a way to remove the rust without hurting any of the original finish that is left on the gun.
You just need to make a simple Electrolysis Tank. You just need an old cell phone charger, ^.4 volt will work the best, some coper wire, baking soda, a plastic tub the the gun will fit into with a little extra room and a metal rod.
It will only take you about 10 min. to set it up and just a few hours in the tank to remove the rust.
Here is a link to a sticky at SRF on how to set it up. http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=62728
The Turkish Mauser and the old single shot shotgun in the post are the ones that I did.

Here is a before and after pic of the Turkish Mauser.

#6 ·
I am considering the electrolisys (spelling) method.I will do a little more research on it before i take the plunge. I need to make sure it won't damage the original finish. I have a pretty good image of what it will look like after i am finished.Worst case i know it will have to be refinished but i want to try and preserve it. Thanks to all that responded I will try to do before and after pictures.

#7 ·
soak it in automatic tranny fluid for 2 weeks the try some bronzwool
tranny fluid has always done me well and will not harm metal
if your going to refinish try something called evaporust iirc
autozone should have it it will remove all rust AND blueing
it works better than naval jelly

#8 ·
I tried the electrolisys method and it did a good job of removing the rust.Just so everyone knows It also removed most of the dark blueing .The blueing that remainded is washed out and splotched . There was a lot of pitting left behind as well. I ended up with a rather poor looking pistol. It looked poor with the rust as well so i really lost nothing. It will have to be refinished to make it look like anything that i would want to keep. What a shame someone didn't keep a little oil on this pistol. Thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.