Finn Capture '43 Tula 91/30

Thread: Finn Capture '43 Tula 91/30

Default Finn Capture '43 Tula 91/30

I've been short on "disposable income" the last few weeks after being eviscerated by the tax man in April. After having to let a bunch of great local deals on ammo go by (doesn't it always work out that way?), I ran across this a couple of weeks ago. It was originally priced a bit higher than I wanted to pay, so I risked letting it languish for a while to soften up the price. Anyway it all worked out in the end. First '43 Finn capture from either arsenal I've run across in the wild. Pics next frame . . .

The bore is bright and shiny, but has seen quite a bit of use. Counterbored about 25mm. Nothing matches except the Finn-matched bolt. Older Century import with transliterated serial prefix:

It's in a '30s or early '40s Izhevsk stock, but can't say which year, as the acceptance mark is no longer legible:

Has the pretty much standard Finnish shim treatment, barrel floats emphatically:

The pics in the listing weren't good, and I didn't realize until seeing the rifle in person that it was built on a low wall receiver:

At that point, I was thinking that the barrel could have been moved to a different receiver by the Finns. However, the tang indicates that it quite likely left the Tula zavod in this receiver:

Love it! Congrats!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Ol' Relic, Do you think that it being a low wall and stepped receiver, that the rifle was made early in 1943? The machining looks more "42ish".

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Bearbait View Post
    Ol' Relic, Do you think that it being a low wall and stepped receiver, that the rifle was made early in 1943? The machining looks more "42ish".
    Tula was using a lot of recycled receivers (and for that matter, older receivers that were formerly considered a bit out of spec, but still close enough for rock 'n roll in the war years) in 1943, so I doubt that one can surmise much from the receiver. I haven't run across enough non-PU 1943 Tulas to judge by the barrel machining. I think it's a pretty interesting rifle, though-it's been through a lot.

Awesome late war capture!

Thumbs up

Looks great!

Sweet 1943 [SA] Tula. Not too many 1941-43 Tula Finn captures around. I've been looking for a 43 for several years with no luck. Managed to find a 42 [SA] a couple years ago. Nice grab fo sure!
    "You mean to say you don't know me? I'm Antti Rokka. A farmer from the Isthmus. At the moment I sell bullets."

Nice, great stock and double SA stamps to boot! Man I love that get it done quick machine work on the '43's. I bet the length of that barrel is machined just as NICE! Mine sure is.
    Richard

Sweet looking wood!
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2 View Post
    Nice, great stock and double SA stamps to boot! Man I love that get it done quick machine work on the '43's. I bet the length of that barrel is machined just as NICE! Mine sure is.
    Richard
    Yeah, the barrel machining on the barrel shank on this one is exceptionally crude even for a '43. And par for a '43, a raw lathe cut runs the entire length of the barrel.

👍

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Very unusual rifle.

Congrats!
    Now officially collecting Mosin M38s!