Samese mauser

Thread: Samese mauser

Default Samese mauser

what can i use to make brass out of for an 8/50 or 5/52 Siamese Mauser and loads for same? there used to be a site on odd ball cartridges by BOB SHELL but can't fin any loads or making brass by him. any and all help will be helpful, thanks.

I hesitste to answer with out researching my notes.
    Have one each of the Siamese.
    Have 45-70 with turned down rim for the 8x52R.
    Have(had) 8x56R for the 8x50R.
    Don't have any other assembly information at hand.

I'm sorry that I cannot reference my notes from the mid '60's for my 8mm Siamese reloading but I do remember Norma 7.62 x 54 Rimmed Russian new brass, primed, a small, charge of blue dot with corn meal and small tissue, which fire formed very well, no trimming, no hot loads!!!! just mid range stuff, performed very well but later I had it rebarrelled for 45-70, just a silly thing to do, not a bit better than the 8mm. good shooting harlanboy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

KYWOODWRKRII, thanks for trying to help. if you get more info. please share it with me, thanks.

harlanboy, so i just take Russian primed brass, a small charge of BLUE DOT, corn meal filler and insert some tissue paper and shoot it in the gun and it will fire form for me. that is great info. just load with an 8 m/m head and i am in business. do i use 8 m/m loads or a milder 30/40 Krag load?

I used an 8mm bullet and a load similiar to the 7.62x54 of a medium IMR powder, 4320 or 4895, although a .30-40 Krag load should be ok also, Just keep the starting load in the medium range until you see how well
    your "Ole Siamese" performs. Good shooting! harlanboy

they seem to be as rare as rocking horse poop. i saw it in a local gun shop, THE BROOKLYN TRADING POST in CT, it was on consignment for $600.00 and the owner wouldn't budge. so I got it. not sorry, just got to get it up and running. this one has JAPANESE characters on it. will let you know when I shoot it. thanks for the help.

I answered all of this in my book on the Siamese Mauser in a chapter dedicated to reloading both of these cartridges.
    I explained how to convert different type of brass for each cartridge and have extensive reloading data on both cartridges I developed on them.
    toot ... send me a pm and we will discuss this all

Patrick

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15844605_1403354443032300_6522273619890337353_o.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	2228882
    Co-Author of the book:
    Banzai Special Project No. 1, The Siamese Mauser, A Study Of Siamese / Thai Type 45 & Type 46 Long Rifles and Type 47 Carbines, Including An Overview Of Siamese/Thai Weapons 1860–2014

I used mostly 40-65 brass instead of 45-70 because it cut down a step of the sizing in necking down. I just run it through a 33 Win size die, then neck size or use a Siamese die. Still have to trim rims and length. I got Starline brass on sale.

I've used 8x56R also, but it is more expensive to start. 8x56R also has a thinner rim and a slightly smaller head. But the rim diameter is good.

Patrick, I looked up your BANZAI BOOK, on the SIAMESE MAUSER, and it seems to be a void that you have filled. thanks for the reply, I am sending you a check for $37.00 shipped to your FLORIDA address for one. thanks.

I do not live in FL ... that is frank who lives there BTW
    I do not have any more copies myself of the book to sell, Frank may have a few left ... we might have to do a second edition eventually of it.

Patrick
    Co-Author of the book:
    Banzai Special Project No. 1, The Siamese Mauser, A Study Of Siamese / Thai Type 45 & Type 46 Long Rifles and Type 47 Carbines, Including An Overview Of Siamese/Thai Weapons 1860–2014

Wow! A real blast from the past. I got my first Siamese Mauser in the early 70's for less then 20 bucks and that was with delivery. It came right to my door. I had it rebarreled to 45/70 and I picked up a Fagen left hand stock for 12 dollars. i've been shooting it ever sense. It shoots moa with a scope off a rest. I wish I would of bought more, if I only knew they would be selling for that kind of price.

yes hind sight is always 20/20. I also have one in a BISHOP Sporter stock, in 45/70 with a LYMAN 8/ power target dot. a 1 inch BULL barrel. that I had custom built, it also shoots a minute of angle group off of the bench at 200 yards. it cost me $400.00. 10 years ago. I got the gun for ZIP!!well worth it at twice the price! now the un altered one i just got was on consignment at a LGS. and the guy would not come down even one dollar, so it was walk or cough up the scheckles. well we know the rest of the story and i have never looked back. now i need a bayonet for it. as i said now they are as rare as rocking horse poop.