I'm looking forward to this...'6 Days,' movie about the 1980 London embassy siege

Thread: I'm looking forward to this...'6 Days,' movie about the 1980 London embassy siege

Default I'm looking forward to this...'6 Days,' movie about the 1980 London embassy siege

Here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndLJhJgDwI8

This looks good, even if the negotiator comes off as heavily conflicted and wearied. Hopefully they do this operation justice by portraying the 22nd SAS as professionals and not hot-shot cowboys, a la Hollywood.

Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I'm looking for pre-war Yugoslav Mauser bolt number 36455. If you have it, let me know! I'll pay a finder's fee on top of the selling price.

On top of the world, looking down on creation

I've got an old book somewhere that has a section on the raid that breaks down of the assault by time, floor of the embassy, and room with identification of the weapons used.

I need to find mine. There's at least two books I know of dedicated to just that operation.
    "We thought about it for a long time, 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union." Lone Watie

The comments I've heard of Margaret Thatcher's 'debrief' of the op are hilarious. That woman was solid.
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I'm looking for pre-war Yugoslav Mauser bolt number 36455. If you have it, let me know! I'll pay a finder's fee on top of the selling price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Poot View Post
    The comments I've heard of Margaret Thatcher's 'debrief' of the op are hilarious. That woman was solid.
    Pat
    That was a solid woman indeed. Not being a Brit, I liked her and remember vividly the incident. I call these events 'incidents' because we all know who will be shot, wounded or taken prisoner from the first minute on. Of course we will always need those men that can turn themselves into "hunting mode".

Pat
    Post'em if you got'em...
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

I'll paraphrase, since I'm sure the exact quotes are remembered only by the people present...

There may or may have not been an informal debrief by Mrs. Thatcher, during which she railed about the fact that one of the terrorists remained alive following the assault, in spite of the 'insurance policy' practiced by men of the Regiment. The 'insurance policy' was for each man in the stack to put a bullet in the head of any terrorists down just to make sure, and as each man passed by. Her statement was something like, "Your job is to shoot terrorists, not take them prisoner!"

Her view (and policy) was that there would be NO negotiation with terrorists, and that assaults were conducted to KILL aggressors. Remember that this was before the push for martyrdom, jihad, blah, blah, blah. She wanted it to be well known that if you attacked the UK, you'd die. Period. Full stop.

Can you imagine a current PM doing that now? Me either.

Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

I'll paraphrase, since I'm sure the exact quotes are remembered only by the people present...

There may or may have not been an informal debrief by Mrs. Thatcher, during which she railed about the fact that one of the terrorists remained alive following the assault, in spite of the 'insurance policy' practiced by men of the Regiment. The 'insurance policy' was for each man in the stack to put a bullet in the head of any terrorists down just to make sure, and as each man passed by. Her statement was something like, "Your job is to shoot terrorists, not take them prisoner!"

Her view (and policy) was that there would be NO negotiation with terrorists, and that assaults were conducted to KILL aggressors. Remember that this was before the push for martyrdom, jihad, blah, blah, blah. She wanted it to be well known that if you attacked the UK, you'd die. Period. Full stop.

Can you imagine a current PM doing that now? Me either.

Pat
    Am NOT sure Ms. May wouldn't/couldn't do that. She strikes me as pretty hard if pushed. I'd say the chances are 40-60 she would.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Time will tell.
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Sounds like a good movie to see.

Was already a movie: "The Final Option" what with the memorable line through the throat mike and ear jack: "Terrorist dead. Sixth floor."
    MP5s and Hipowers.

The Israelis astonished with the raid on Entebbe, Uganda to free hostages in 1976. There will be a forthcoming 2018 release by the excellent Brazilian director José Padilha, whose "Bus 174," "Tropa de Elite/ Elite Squad" and "Tropa de Elite II" are not to be missed.

The GSG-9 stormed the Lufthansa plane in Mogadishu Somalia in 1977.
    The Brit SAS stormed the Iranian embassy in 1980, dramatized by the "Final Option" and now this remake in much the same way that the Israeli retaliation/murder operation in the wake of the Black September murders of the Israeli Olympic team hostages in 1972, aka "wrath of God" or "Bayonet" were dramatized by Spielberg's "Munich" but much earlier in the 1986 film "Sword of Gideon."

The 1994 storming of a jet that the terrorists apparently intended to fly on and into a structure in Paris is dramatized in the 2011 French film "L'Assaut," apparently with input from the GIGN, who, like the SAS, the BOPE, the GSG9, and other such groups one really shouldn't mess with unless suicidal.

As for Thatcher, as a descendant of Fife coal miners, the consensus of shirt-tail relatives echoed Frankie Boyle: “For 3 million you could give everyone in Scotland a shovel, and we could dig a hole so deep we could hand her over to Satan in person."
    Alle Kunst ist umsonst, Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Am NOT sure Ms. May wouldn't/couldn't do that. She strikes me as pretty hard if pushed. I'd say the chances are 40-60 she would.
    I would say May is about as Ruthless as Thatcher was.....in every sense of the word.

In contrast to her Labour Party leader opponent, yes. His speech on the Manchester bombing blamed it on western interference in Muslim affairs!
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

At this point, almost everything is a remake. Some are better than others, though. More enhanced and realistic effects, better use of lighting, etc. can all combine to make a more compelling presentation of events whose endings and effects are already well known.

I won't comment on another country's domestic policies, as long as those policies don't create collateral damage or defy the basic logic of national survival and self-defense (I'm looking at YOU, Frau Merkel...), so all I can say about elected leaders and their domestic policies is that unpopular decisions often need to be made that will anger and affect members of the population. It's almost inevitable. There was also President Reagan's mass firing of air traffic controllers in the early 1980's.

So now that we've drifted from a 'Military History Forum' to a Political Discussion Fest, let's pull it back to face-shooting bad guys. It's very hard to argue with the effectiveness of this operation, which sent ripples throughout the world when it happened. I don't remember as successful a tubular assault as the one executed by GIGN that davecarlson mentioned. Those are very confined spaces, but present huge difficulties, especially when explosives are included.
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.