Glad to be here and need a bit of help 1st Post

Thread: Glad to be here and need a bit of help 1st Post

Default Glad to be here and need a bit of help 1st Post

Hi Everyone. My Name is Lew, and I'm 70yrs old. I first became aware of the Makarov Pistol while serving with the US Army in West Germany during the Mid 60s. I attended a class on Russian small arms and got to handle and field strip one. For years I thought about that pistol, and years later I purchased my 1st one. It is an East German 1960 Production. Later I picked up a Bulgarian 1993 Production. So I noticed that there are some Un Issued Bulgarian guns now available. I decided to Re Barrel my present Bulgarian to 380, and buy one of the Un Issued ones for a collection piece/Shooter. So after spending hours watching utube videos I decided to attempt the job. I obtained a barrel press kit, and a German 380 bbl. and yesterday I stripped the Bulgarian down to the bare Frame including the TG. I'm being stopped cold by the Barrel retaining pin. I applied a lot of pounding with a punch and the pin refuses to budge. I usually solve my own problems but in this case any help would be much appreciated. I know that I could drill it out but would prefer to do it the right way. Think that I'm going to enjoy hanging out here.

Hello and welcome Nipperdog. Assuming you have the frame firmly supported with a non-marring block, you're driving the pin out from the possibly non-peened side and you're using the correctly sized punch/drift, I'd try a shot of PB Blaster, letting it sit for 15 minutes. Good luck.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-1...6-PB/205178591

Quote Originally Posted by martinbanner View Post
    Hello and welcome Nipperdog. Assuming you have the frame firmly supported with a non-marring block, you're driving the pin out from the possibly non-peened side and you're using the correctly sized punch/drift, I'd try a shot of PB Blaster, letting it sit for 15 minutes. Good luck.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-1...6-PB/205178591
    I guess that I should have waited before posting the part about the pin, but frustration got the better of me. Before quitting yesterday I gave it a good shot of Trizol penetrating solvent. After I returned to the workshop this morning I reground an old center punch so the tip was flat, and the 1st 1/8" was .120 dia, I just wanted to get that pin to move slightly. Getting the barrel out of the frame was a whole other story. Rust was evident on the Barrel and retaining pin. Thanks for responding...............Lew

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum! Keep us updated on your progress.

Welcome to the forum. Wow! You picked a tough first project to do on a Makarov. Regards, ABTOMAT

Welcome to the forum.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Welcome.
    "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."

Will Rogers

Patience is one of the best tools that us novice gunsmiths can bring to a project. You will enjoy shooting the 380's out of your Makarov. I have two Russian commercials and one Chinese commercial 380 and enjoy them almost as much as the 9x18's.

And I will add, welcome to the forum ! There is a ton of good and useful information available here through the search feature. We are all still learning when it comes to the Makarov.

Quote Originally Posted by lincen View Post
    Patience is one of the best tools that us novice gunsmiths can bring to a project. You will enjoy shooting the 380's out of your Makarov. I have two Russian commercials and one Chinese commercial 380 and enjoy them almost as much as the 9x18's.

And I will add, welcome to the forum ! There is a ton of good and useful information available here through the search feature. We are all still learning when it comes to the Makarov.
    Hi: I love the Makarov for it's looks, and simplicity. I got the Re Barreled 380 back together yesterday, and will do a test fire sometime today. My Son gave me a couple of thousand once fired 380 cases, and about 1000 bullets. I didn't own a 380, and figured converting a MAK was the Logical way to go. It will also give me an excuse to order one of the Unissued ones being offered today. I think that the 9X18 is superior to the 380 and have been reloading for it using Starline Brass and Hornady XTP Bullets...................Lew

Welcome to the forum Nipperdog. Since I only have one I'm leaving my Bulgarian 9x18.

Function Fired this Morning. Fired four mags of 380 ammo and the gun ran flawlessly. I also ordered another Bulgarian to replaced the one which I converted. Looks like I'll be cleaning some Cosmoline soon.

You made an old man smile, Nipper was the name of my father's favorite English Setter. Both just memories. Welcome to the Forum.

Beautiful Makarov's, welcome to the forum.
    Richard

Hi Again: Just wanted to Thank everyone for all of those Words of Welcome. I ordered another Bulg. MAK yesterday which will replace the one that I converted to 380. It is supposed to be in Unissued Mint Condition, it should arrive at my FFL's on Friday in all of it's Cosmolined Glory. I'll post a Pic. when I receive the Gun and Remove the Cosmo.

Nipperdog I sent you a PM to review.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2 View Post
    Nipperdog I sent you a PM to review.
    Richard
    Reply Sent

I got a call from my FFL this afternoon telling me that my new MAK was in. Wow I ordered it on Tuesday, and got it on Thursday. I knew that it would need to be cleaned, but when I field stripped it you couldn't see the guts. Detail stripped it and soaked everything in Mineral Spirits. What I found after removing a ton of Cosmoline was a Brand New MAK 29 Dated. There is no sign of this gun ever being fired. So the MAK count is up to Three.