Gunboards Forums banner

Colt Model 1917 Revolver - This one is confusing me...

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Rockyusmc 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I recently picked up a Colt Model 1917 45 DA US Property revolver. I am not too familiar with these but I have done some research. Per my understanding, this one was made in 1920 (due to SN and Eagle's Head inspector mark). The frame and crane are matching. Now, the thing that is confusing me is that the barrel is void of any patent dates. Also, there is no "H" on the bottom of the barrel... Rather, there is what look to be an "S" and a "P". This revolver is strong in patina and the patina/finish wear is uniform in both the barrel and the frame. There does not look to be any grind marks anywhere, and does not look to be refinished because, well, there isn't alot finish left. The barrel does have the "Colt DA 45" markings on the left, and the "United States Property" mark in quotes (and measures alittle over 2 inches in length). I suspect its been re-barreled but I wanted to get some input in case anyone else has seen these in this configuration.

Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#4 ·
Hello all!

I recently picked up a Colt Model 1917 45 DA US Property revolver. I am not too familiar with these but I have done some research. Per my understanding, this one was made in 1920 (due to SN and Eagle's Head inspector mark). The frame and crane are matching. Now, the thing that is confusing me is that the barrel is void of any patent dates. Also, there is no "H" on the bottom of the barrel... Rather, there is what look to be an "S" and a "P". This revolver is strong in patina and the patina/finish wear is uniform in both the barrel and the frame. There does not look to be any grind marks anywhere, and does not look to be refinished because, well, there isn't alot finish left. The barrel does have the "Colt DA 45" markings on the left, and the "United States Property" mark in quotes (and measures alittle over 2 inches in length). I suspect its been re-barreled but I wanted to get some input in case anyone else has seen these in this configuration.

Thanks for any help!
View attachment 2229434 View attachment 2229442 View attachment 2229450 View attachment 2229458 View attachment 2229466 View attachment 2229474 View attachment 2229482 View attachment 2229490
I also have a similar issue, mine is a little younger and has all the correct stamps for it's vintage. Except the barrel is missing the patient stamp on top and instead of an H under the barrel there is a strange stamp. Also in the crane recess there is what appears to be the burning bomb.
Water Liquid Watercraft Fluid Naval architecture
Water Atmosphere Automotive lighting Automotive tire Asphalt

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.