Wanna See a Nice Sling?

Thread: Wanna See a Nice Sling?

Default Wanna See a Nice Sling?

This came my way this weekend and it's too good to let pass. Like new, unissued, Type 38 rifle sling. Dated Taisho 11 (1922). Has the original keeper but no hardware. It's never been installed on a rifle. Great reference piece to show what they looked like when new! Whew!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2627.jpg   IMG_2628.jpg   IMG_2629.jpg   IMG_2630.jpg   IMG_2631.jpg  
    "Americans, why can't everybody be like us"?

Ernie Pyle, Okinawa April 1 1945

Dogs, one of these days I'm coming over and using that time​ machine you must have in your back yard. Very nice! How about pics with measurements maybe my tack supplier could try to duplicate the workmanship.

Don

Get ready for the flood of repro's now.
    Preserving history. One rifle at a time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Ya know, my first thought was how nice this would look on my early Tokyo T-38 but then I realized that anything I did to it, like install the hardware and putting it on a rifle, would take away from what it is - mint & unissued. The "do no harm" rule definitely applies here

My type 99 LMG sling is in about the same condition. LOL
    Preserving history. One rifle at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by arisakadogs View Post
    Ya know, my first thought was how nice this would look on my early Tokyo T-38 but then I realized that anything I did to it, like install the hardware and putting it on a rifle, would take away from what it is - mint & unissued. The "do no harm" rule definitely applies here
    Big +1
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Welted lines along edge are interesting. Usually they're associated with type I but this dates too early!

Well isn't that pretty.
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Jareth View Post
    Welted lines along edge are interesting. Usually they're associated with type I but this dates too early!
    Many early Japanese leather goods had welted edges from holsters to slings
    Last edited by arisakadogs; 05-16-2017 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Change most to many

Great pick up. Not very often you find something that nice with good markings. Thanks for sharing.
    John

Well the date doesn't lie but I haven't seen early holsters or slings with edge welting. Had an early sling on type 22 & a type 30 without. Post photos

Well the date doesn't lie but I haven't seen early holsters or slings with edge welting. Had an early sling on type 22 & a type 30 without. Post photos
    Even the early T-44/99 slings have welted edges
    I also have several other Type 38 slings with welted edges and never really bought that they were only for the Type I rifle.
    The ammo pouch is dated Taisho 10 and has welted edges on the flap and on the strap
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0274.JPG   IMG_3008.jpg   IMG_0212.jpg   IMG_2371.jpg   IMG_2577.jpg   IMG_2581.jpg  

Last edited by arisakadogs; 05-16-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Here's another nice sling that came along this past weekend.
    Nicely marked T-99 rubber coated sling that is still as supple as the day it was made. Still has the "peach fuzz" on it. Again, no hardware and the keeper is a repro.
    This is the variant with the 3 + 3 adjustment holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2625.jpg   IMG_2626.jpg  

Thanks. New observations for me! I also never believed " correct" sling for type I ! Surprised 99 sling wasn't rolled up like your other one.

Thanks. New observations for me! I also never believed " correct" sling for type I ! Surprised 99 sling wasn't rolled up like your other one.
    Yeah that is interesting on the T-99 sling. My rolled example does have the keeper and hardware with it where this one is just the strap. There were a number of these straps that came out of Japan around 10 years ago. I bought one and it turned to stone while I had it. I'm going to put this one in an airtight bag and keep it a dark place to see if that helps to keep it supple. Here are photos of my rolled, unissued, sling. It's petrified as well. It's a four layer laminated sling
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0075.jpg   IMG_0073.jpg  

very nice....so that is what they are to look like! LOL
    Sam