Slide does not lock back unless mag inside

Thread: Slide does not lock back unless mag inside

Exclamation Slide does not lock back unless mag inside

Hello, i picked up Bulgarian Makarov at gun show on weekend, nice looking little handgun. All good except one thing, i can't seemed to lock the slide back when magazine is removed.

I have no problem with locking the slide to the back when the mag is inserted (with or without ammo). Is this the way it was designed? If not any thoughts on how can this be fixed?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by taga View Post
    Hello, i picked up Bulgarian Makarov at gun show on weekend, nice looking little handgun. All good except one thing, i can't seemed to lock the slide back when magazine is removed.

I have no problem with locking the slide to the back when the mag is inserted (with or without ammo). Is this the way it was designed? If not any thoughts on how can this be fixed?

Thanks,
    It is normal, the little metal protrusion on the magazine follower pushes the slide lock up, so the magazine must be in to lock the slide back. You can also lock it back without the magazine buy pushing the slide stop up while holding the slide back.

frown

Quote Originally Posted by Makaccurateone View Post
    You can also lock it back without the magazine buy pushing the slide stop up while holding the slide back.
    Thanks for quick response. But this method does not work. It's exactly what i was trying to do... pull the slide all the way to the back and holding the slide stop to the top, then letting the slide to go back while still pushing the slide stop to the top.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Hi taga. To see the mating parts of the side-stop/ejector (in the frame) and the slide stop ear (on the slide), field strip it, take the recoil spring off and put the slide back on. Looking in the ejection port, work the slide-stop/ejector and notice where it catches (or tries to catch) on the slide. Remove the slide and inspect the surfaces/parts, making sure they are not worn, rounded or broken/cracked. They need to be square with each other. My guess is a worn slide-stop/ejector. You can try dressing it with a small file or if not your bag, the easiest is to buy a replacement part. The slide stop/ejector is one of the parts that will wear out on a Makarov PM (best practice is to sling shot the slide (or aggressive palm over slide) to chamber a round, NOT use the slide stop/ejector to release the slide, as in the movies).
    FYI: The ear on the slide is of harder steel and rarely is the culprit (if it is=gunsmith).

https://www.apexgunparts.com/makarov...ide-catch.html

http://www.makarov.com/tech/assembly.html
    Last edited by martinbanner; 05-15-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martinbanner View Post
    Hi taga. To see the mating parts of the side-stop/ejector (in the frame) and the slide stop ear (on the slide), field strip it, take the recoil spring off and put the slide back on. Looking in the ejection port, work the slide-stop/ejector and notice where it catches (or tries to catch) on the slide. Remove the slide and inspect the surfaces/parts, making sure they are not worn, rounded or broken/cracked. They need to be square with each other. My guess is a worn slide-stop/ejector. You can try dressing it with a small file or if not your bag, the easiest is to buy a replacement part. The slide stop/ejector is one of the parts that will wear out on a Makarov PM (best practice is to sling shot the slide (or aggressive palm over slide) to chamber a round, NOT use the slide stop/ejector to release the slide, as in the movies).
    FYI: The ear on the slide is of harder steel and rarely is the culprit (if it is=gunsmith).

https://www.apexgunparts.com/makarov...ide-catch.html

http://www.makarov.com/tech/assembly.html

Hello martinbanner, I took pictures of the slide stop/ejector not sure if you can tell if it needs to be replaced. Also I just noticed that the slides locks fine only if the slide catch pushed hard all the way to the top. Is this normal? On my G19 I barely need to push slide catch and it works fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0966.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	2232034

taga you have some good advice here - replace the slide stop. It's one of the only parts to wear out on a Makarov.
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by North Bender View Post
    taga you have some good advice here - replace the slide stop. It's one of the only parts to wear out on a Makarov.
    thanks, ordering one now.

Your picture shows the ejector end of the slide-stop/ejector. The engagement for the slide stop is at the bottom, near the release tab; towards the hammer. On a surplus military weapon some replacement of parts is done to insure the most reliable pistol. For the little money involved, I would also replace the recoil spring, as a weak recoil spring may not provide the tension needed to keep the slide-stop/ejector engaged, especially since worn. Hard to diagnose not having the pistol in hand. Using the forum search or advanced search will turn up many other threads on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by martinbanner View Post
    Your picture shows the ejector end of the slide-stop/ejector. The engagement for the slide stop is at the bottom, near the release tab; towards the hammer. On a surplus military weapon some replacement of parts is done to insure the most reliable pistol. For the little money involved, I would also replace the recoil spring, as a weak recoil spring may not provide the tension needed to keep the slide-stop/ejector engaged, especially since worn. Hard to diagnose not having the pistol in hand. Using the forum search or advanced search will turn up many other threads on this topic.
    OK, ordered the part today, I will update when it gets here. Recoil spring seems firm and strong.

i replaced the slide stop and it's much better now, however i have noticed another strange behavior; then last round is fired and mag is empty i remove the magazine, put a new one and then I hit the mag with the palm and slide unlocks and there is round in the chamber. Without a sling shot or touching the slide-stop/ejector. Is this on all the maks?

PS. I've also ordered 21lb recoil spring.

Thanks