Slide does not lock back unless mag inside
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Slide does not lock back unless mag inside

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7

    Exclamation Slide does not lock back unless mag inside

    Hello, i picked up Bulgarian Makarov at gun show on weekend, nice looking little handgun. All good except one thing, i can't seemed to lock the slide back when magazine is removed.

    I have no problem with locking the slide to the back when the mag is inserted (with or without ammo). Is this the way it was designed? If not any thoughts on how can this be fixed?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taga View Post
    Hello, i picked up Bulgarian Makarov at gun show on weekend, nice looking little handgun. All good except one thing, i can't seemed to lock the slide back when magazine is removed.

    I have no problem with locking the slide to the back when the mag is inserted (with or without ammo). Is this the way it was designed? If not any thoughts on how can this be fixed?

    Thanks,
    It is normal, the little metal protrusion on the magazine follower pushes the slide lock up, so the magazine must be in to lock the slide back. You can also lock it back without the magazine buy pushing the slide stop up while holding the slide back.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7

    frown

    Quote Originally Posted by Makaccurateone View Post
    You can also lock it back without the magazine buy pushing the slide stop up while holding the slide back.
    Thanks for quick response. But this method does not work. It's exactly what i was trying to do... pull the slide all the way to the back and holding the slide stop to the top, then letting the slide to go back while still pushing the slide stop to the top.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Hi taga. To see the mating parts of the side-stop/ejector (in the frame) and the slide stop ear (on the slide), field strip it, take the recoil spring off and put the slide back on. Looking in the ejection port, work the slide-stop/ejector and notice where it catches (or tries to catch) on the slide. Remove the slide and inspect the surfaces/parts, making sure they are not worn, rounded or broken/cracked. They need to be square with each other. My guess is a worn slide-stop/ejector. You can try dressing it with a small file or if not your bag, the easiest is to buy a replacement part. The slide stop/ejector is one of the parts that will wear out on a Makarov PM (best practice is to sling shot the slide (or aggressive palm over slide) to chamber a round, NOT use the slide stop/ejector to release the slide, as in the movies).
    FYI: The ear on the slide is of harder steel and rarely is the culprit (if it is=gunsmith).

    https://www.apexgunparts.com/makarov...ide-catch.html

    http://www.makarov.com/tech/assembly.html
    Last edited by martinbanner; 05-15-2017 at 11:31 PM.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martinbanner View Post
    Hi taga. To see the mating parts of the side-stop/ejector (in the frame) and the slide stop ear (on the slide), field strip it, take the recoil spring off and put the slide back on. Looking in the ejection port, work the slide-stop/ejector and notice where it catches (or tries to catch) on the slide. Remove the slide and inspect the surfaces/parts, making sure they are not worn, rounded or broken/cracked. They need to be square with each other. My guess is a worn slide-stop/ejector. You can try dressing it with a small file or if not your bag, the easiest is to buy a replacement part. The slide stop/ejector is one of the parts that will wear out on a Makarov PM (best practice is to sling shot the slide (or aggressive palm over slide) to chamber a round, NOT use the slide stop/ejector to release the slide, as in the movies).
    FYI: The ear on the slide is of harder steel and rarely is the culprit (if it is=gunsmith).

    https://www.apexgunparts.com/makarov...ide-catch.html

    http://www.makarov.com/tech/assembly.html

    Hello martinbanner, I took pictures of the slide stop/ejector not sure if you can tell if it needs to be replaced. Also I just noticed that the slides locks fine only if the slide catch pushed hard all the way to the top. Is this normal? On my G19 I barely need to push slide catch and it works fine.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0966.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	2232034

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    4,453

    Default

    taga you have some good advice here - replace the slide stop. It's one of the only parts to wear out on a Makarov.
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by North Bender View Post
    taga you have some good advice here - replace the slide stop. It's one of the only parts to wear out on a Makarov.
    thanks, ordering one now.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Your picture shows the ejector end of the slide-stop/ejector. The engagement for the slide stop is at the bottom, near the release tab; towards the hammer. On a surplus military weapon some replacement of parts is done to insure the most reliable pistol. For the little money involved, I would also replace the recoil spring, as a weak recoil spring may not provide the tension needed to keep the slide-stop/ejector engaged, especially since worn. Hard to diagnose not having the pistol in hand. Using the forum search or advanced search will turn up many other threads on this topic.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martinbanner View Post
    Your picture shows the ejector end of the slide-stop/ejector. The engagement for the slide stop is at the bottom, near the release tab; towards the hammer. On a surplus military weapon some replacement of parts is done to insure the most reliable pistol. For the little money involved, I would also replace the recoil spring, as a weak recoil spring may not provide the tension needed to keep the slide-stop/ejector engaged, especially since worn. Hard to diagnose not having the pistol in hand. Using the forum search or advanced search will turn up many other threads on this topic.
    OK, ordered the part today, I will update when it gets here. Recoil spring seems firm and strong.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7

    Default

    i replaced the slide stop and it's much better now, however i have noticed another strange behavior; then last round is fired and mag is empty i remove the magazine, put a new one and then I hit the mag with the palm and slide unlocks and there is round in the chamber. Without a sling shot or touching the slide-stop/ejector. Is this on all the maks?

    PS. I've also ordered 21lb recoil spring.

    Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •